Attorney’s help may be necessary in court judgment

Q. I had to take my ex back to court on a financial matter (without an attorney), and the judge sided with me and ordered a judgment against her. Since I did this without a lawyer, how do I enforce it against her? The legal system is designed by lawyers to benefit lawyers. I need advice without paying someone $300 an hour or more to resolve this.

A. I understand your feelings regarding attorneys and their high fees, but I am sure they can give you many reasons why those fees are justified.

You can do the research and find out what is called for in your state and then put it to work for you. For example, you might have to file in small claims court if the amount isn’t sufficient to justify a major court action. Otherwise, you need to come to the understanding that it may be necessary to use an attorney. Unfortunately, that’s the system we live under.

Q. I have a 2006 Nissan I want to sell to get a newer vehicle. It’s worth only about $4,000. It’s in mint condition except I just noticed the airbag light came on. I took it to be checked out and found out it’s going to cost $700 to fix. I don’t want to put any money into the vehicle; I just want to sell it.

Can I sell the vehicle privately or to a dealership with the airbag broken, and should I get a signed document showing the buyer knew about it when purchased?

A. In many states there is a law that if you know a repair is necessary, it must be divulged to the potential buyer. In other states not only does it have to be divulged, but also satisfied and repaired before you can legally transfer a title. The question is what is required in your state? A little research online should answer that question.

Send questions to Questions of general interest will be answered in future columns. Owing to the volume of mail, personal replies cannot be provided.

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.