NEWSMAKERS


NEWSMAKERS

Lacheys, Debbie Gibson lead ‘Dancing with the Stars’ cast

NEW YORK

Nick and Vanessa Lachey, retired athletes Derek Fisher and Terrell Owens, and singer Debbie Gibson headline the upcoming season of “Dancing with the Stars.”

Other cast members on the ABC reality competition include “Malcolm in the Middle” actor Frankie Muniz, professional wrestler Nikki Bella and “Property Brothers” star Drew Scott.

The 25th season of “Dancing with the Stars” premieres Sept. 18.

Country singer Jo Dee Messina announces cancer diagnosis

NASHVILLE, Tenn.

Country singer Jo Dee Messina, whose hits include “I’m Alright” and “Bye Bye,” announced Wednesday that she has cancer and will be postponing her 2017 show dates after Oct. 7.

A statement posted on her website didn’t specify the kind of cancer the 47-year-old Messina has been diagnosed with, but said she’s “working closely with a team to explore all options.”

Messina, who is from Framingham, Mass., had a string of hit songs in the late ’90s from her sophomore record, “I’m Alright,” on Curb Records. She was the first female country artist to score three multiple-week No. 1 hits from the same album.

Steinbeck stepdaughter wins $13M in suit over movie rights

LOS ANGELES

A federal jury in Los Angeles has awarded John Steinbeck’s stepdaughter more than $13 million in a lawsuit claiming the author’s son and daughter-in-law impeded film adaptations of his classic works.

The jury Tuesday found in favor of Waverly Scott Kaffaga, who had alleged that long-running litigation over the Steinbeck’s estate prevented her from making the most of his copyrights. She claimed remakes of “The Grapes of Wrath” and “East of Eden” fell apart.

Kaffaga said in a statement that the verdict upholds the Steinbeck estate’s mission of sharing his legacy with the world.

Kaffaga, daughter of the late author’s third wife, sued the estate of stepbrother Thomas Steinbeck, who died last year, his widow and their company.

Sutherland, Burnett, Roizman, Varda to get honorary Oscars

LOS ANGELES

Actor Donald Sutherland, writer-director Charles Burnett, cinematographer Owen Roizman and Belgian director Agnes Varda are getting honorary Oscars this year.

The film academy announced the honorees Wednesday.

Burnett is an independent filmmaker whose work has been celebrated for its portrayals of the African-American experience.

Roizman has received five Academy Award nominations for his work on such films as “The Exorcist” and “Network” and served as a governor of the academy’s cinematography branch for more than 10 years.

The 89-year-old Varda wrote and directed her first feature film in 1956 and released her latest film this year.

Sutherland has appeared in more than 140 films, including the “Hunger Games” series.

Associated Press

More like this from vindy.com

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.