Lecturer to focus on historic St. John’s
Bill Farragher, the Mahoning Valley steel industry marketer who created the highly recognizable Youngstown Sheet and Tube logo, will discuss one of the area’s most historic churches at 10 a.m. Oct. 21 in the meeting room of Kravitz Deli, 3135 Belmont Ave.
His speech is part of the Memories of a Lifetime series, sponsored by the William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society. Admission is $5. Refreshments will be served and a raffle will be held to benefit the society’s education mission. Reservations are suggested; call Richard S. Scarsella, WHMHS chairman, at 330-726-8277.
Farragher will discuss St. John’s Episcopalian Church, 323 Wick Ave., of which he is a member. The church was built in 1862, destroyed by fire 32 years later and rebuilt at its current site in 1898. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
St. John’s parish is known for the annual Boar’s Head Dinner and Yule Log Festival along with its cultural programs. Its distinctive stone Norman Gothic and English architecture, which features Tiffany windows and a working bell tower, makes it a landmark of the city.
Farragher was married in the church in 1951 and has underwritten the installation of a stained-glass window, in honor of his late wife. A lifetime member, he has amassed research relating to the long history of the parish.
Farragher is a Youngstown native who resides in Canfield. He is a graduate of South High School and Ohio Wesleyan University and is a World War II army veteran.
His career in industrial marketing included being director of marketing for both Youngstown Sheet and Tube and Magnecord Corp. and being marketing manager for the McDonald Steel Corp. He also was president and owner of Farragher Marketing Communications and professor of marketing, at what is now Youngstown State University.