Fagen sues late Steely Dan partner over band’s name


Fagen sues late Steely Dan partner over band’s name

LOS ANGELES

Donald Fagen of Steely Dan is suing the estate of his late band mate, Walter Becker, over ownership of the band’s name and music.

Fagen’s attorneys filed papers last week in Los Angeles claiming that when Becker died in September, his estate was obligated to honor an agreement between the men stipulating that if one should die or otherwise leave the band, the other would buy back his “shares” in the group.

Becker’s representatives are calling the suit “unwarranted and frivolous.” They said Monday that the 45-year-old agreement was not in effect when he died.

“In our view, Mr. Fagen is unfairly trying to deprive Walter’s family of the fruits of their joint labors,” the estate said in a statement, adding that it had been working toward a compromise with Fagen’s lawyers.

Fagen’s attorney Skip Miller said Monday that “the agreement at the heart of the suit is as valid as the day it was signed.”

“Mr. Fagen believes Mr. Becker’s estate is entitled to receive all normal royalties on the songs they wrote together,” he said. “But this case is about the future of the band, and we will vigorously defend the contract.”

Springsteen extends his Broadway concerts

NEW YORK

The Boss isn’t leaving Broadway any time soon – he’s extended his stay again, this time until summer.

Bruce Springsteen said Monday that his one-man show, “Springsteen on Broadway,” will extend a second time to June 30. He had previously planned to end in February.

Springsteen performs 15 songs during the show and tells stories about growing up. Tickets for the show at the Walter Kerr Theatre have been reselling for more than $1,000.

Ticket demand is so high that Ticketmaster is using a system that requires people to apply for ticket purchases. Producers said there is no additional registration for this latest extension.

Weinstein accused of sex trafficking

NEW YORK

Harvey Weinstein engaged in sex trafficking by traveling to Europe and luring an aspiring actress from London to a hotel room where he sexually assaulted her, according to a new lawsuit filed against the disgraced movie producer.

The suit filed by Kadian Noble, 31, in federal court in Manhattan alleges that Weinstein went to London in 2014 and “groomed Kadian by telling her that he had a role in mind for her and that ‘it will be good for you.’” Later that year, he approached her again at the Majestic Hotel in Cannes, France, and asked her to come to his hotel room to watch her demo reel, it says.

Weinstein “knew that the promise of a role or the use of his influence on her behalf would entice Kadian into his hotel room, and knew that once there he was in a position to force the sexual activity he desired,” the suit says.

Associated Press

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.