Vindicator Logo

Seven small buses purchased

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Staff report


The Western Reserve Transit Authority trustees recently approved the purchase of seven new para-transit buses at an average cost of $70,000 each.

The transit authority will use two of these small buses for door-to-door transportation of people with disabilities and three of them for its Austintown Loop fixed-route service.

The remaining two buses will be leased to Youngstown State University for fixed-route service.

The new WRTA buses can seat up to 14 passengers in regular seats, plus two using wheelchairs, said Matthew Kotanchek, transit authority maintenance director.

The buses to be used by the university can seat up to 12 passengers in regular seats, plus two using wheelchairs.

The federal government is paying 80 percent of the bus purchase cost, with the other 20 percent being paid by WRTA for the five buses it will use and by YSU for the two buses the university will use.

The bus purchase is through the Ohio Department of Transportation cooperative purchasing program.

The manufacturer is the ElDorado National Co. of Salina, Kan., with Myers Equipment Corp. of Canfield coordinating the purchase and delivery.

The average age of the WRTA buses being replaced is 8.6 years and their average odometer reading is 147,894 miles, transit authorities said.