Paris art exhibit locked down during attack
PARIS (AP) — Visitors to an art exhibit of Auguste Rodin’s works in central Paris were confined inside the Grand Palais for an hour after an attacker rammed into a police convoy on the nearby Champs-Elysees.
Victoria Boucher and daughter Chrystel said they’re hoping the Champs-Elysees reopens soon. They came in from the suburb of Cergy-Pontoise for a Paris visit and weren’t afraid to go to the famed avenue.
Chrystel said that “we were better off inside than outside.” But both agreed as the mother said, “unfortunately we now are used to this.”
“The show must go on,” the daughter said in English. “They won’t win.”
Two French police officials say the man who rammed into a police convoy on Paris’ Champs-Elysees was a 31-year-old man from a Paris suburb who had been flagged for extremism.
The officials identified the man as from the suburb of Argenteuil, and said he had an “S” file, which means authorities had been aware of potential links to extremism.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing investigation into Monday’s incident.
The interior minister said the man was killed in the incident.