Each week, this column offers recipes from Valley cookbooks. If your organization would like to have

Each week, this column offers recipes from Valley cookbooks. If your organization would like to have its cookbook showcased, please contact our society department at 330-747-1471, ext. 1283, or email us at society@vindy.com.

Junior Women’s League of Canfield’s “SIMPLE PLEASURES II”

taco dip

by patty machingo

1pound ground beef

1pound mild or hot sausage

1can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1jar chunky salsa

2pounds Velveeta cheese

2teaspoons minced garlic

1cup minced onions

In separate pans, fry beef and sausage until crumbly; drain. Melt cheese in a crockpot. Add garlic, onion, salsa and cream of mushroom soup to melted cheese. Stir well. Add drained meat to cheese mixture. Serve with corn chips.

holiday punch

by Judy Buck

112-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate

16-ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate

2quarts ice water

1/2gallon raspberry sherbet

1quart vanilla ice cream

Red food coloring (optional)

Mix together lemonade, orange juice and water. Place scoops of sherbet and ice cream in a punch bowl. Add mixture and stir until blended. Stir in a few drops of red food coloring if desired. Yield: 36 half-cup servings.

peppermint crunch

by janet m. BOEHM

1pound red/green peppermint crunch

2-3pounds white chocolate*

Melt white chocolate by placing in oven on warm setting until melted. Line two large cookie sheets with silicone paper and pour white chocolate into the lined pans. Using a spatula, spread out chocolate as evenly as possible. Sift the peppermint crunch, separating fine crumbs totalling about 75 percent of the mixture. Sprinkle the fine sifted peppermint over the top of the chocolate and fold in gently. Sprinkle remaining 25 percent of mixture (the larger pieces) on top for decoration. Allow the crunch mixture to cool and harden or put into the freezer for 5 minutes. When hardened, break into chunks and serve.

*Note: Peppermint crunch has a strong flavor; use 2 pounds white chocolate for a strongly flavored result or 3 pounds for a less intense flavor.

HOW TO ORDER

Order Junior Women’s League of Canfield’s “Simple Pleasures” by calling Diane Smythe at 330-503-8202. The cost of $15 includes shipping.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.