Michigan to appeal order involving water


Michigan to appeal order involving water

FLINT, MICH.

The state of Michigan says it will ask an appeals court to stop an order that calls for home delivery of water in Flint.

The state briefly disclosed its next step Monday, less than two weeks after a federal judge ordered home delivery under certain conditions. Judge David Lawson says delivery isn’t necessary if Flint residents decline or if their filter taps are working properly.

The state says it still would be a daunting – and expensive – task. The state says Flint residents can get free water deliveries through nonprofit groups, but the judge says it’s not totally effective.

Flint residents are urged to use bottled water or filtered tap water. Corrosive water from the Flint River wasn’t treated properly for 18 months, causing lead to leach.

Accused of abuse, man waives hearing

DOYLESTOWN, Pa.

A Pennsylvania man accused of sexually assaulting six girls in the same family will head to trial after waiving a preliminary hearing.

A Bucks County prosecutor said 52-year-old Lee Donald Kaplan waived the hearing Monday on charges filed last month. Defense attorney Ryan Hyde says Kaplan maintains he’s innocent but didn’t want to make the girls testify during the holiday season.

Authorities claim the Feasterville man fathered two children with a then-14-year-old girl who had been “gifted” to him for helping her parents financially and that he sexually assaulted five others.

Father suspected of drowning daughter

HEALDSBURG, Calif.

A Northern California man was arrested on suspicion of drowning his 4-year-old daughter in a baptismal pool in a church and then carrying her body to a nearby police station, authorities said Monday.

Gerardo Mendoza, 42, of Healdsburg, stood naked in the station’s back parking lot Sunday night and yelled for help as he held his fully clothed, soaking wet daughter. His partially clothed, 9-year-old son stood next to him, said Healdsburg Police Chief Kevin Burke.

The child was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Suicide bomber kills 32 at mosque

KABUL, Afghanistan

A suicide bomber struck a Shiite mosque in the Afghan capital on Monday, killing 32 people, the U.N. office said, the second large-scale attack targeting minority Shiites in Kabul in a little more than a month.

Hours later, the Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, a U.S. monitoring service that tracks militant postings.

Afghan police said the bomber, who was on foot, had walked into the Shiite mosque in western Kabul where he detonated his explosives among a crowd of worshippers.

State Dept. warns of ‘heightened risk’ of attacks in Europe

WASHINGTON

The State Department is advising U.S. citizens traveling in Europe to be aware of a “heightened risk of terrorist attacks” during the holiday season.

The advisory issued Monday says “credible information” indicates that Islamic State and al-Qaida militants continue to plan attacks in Europe around the holiday season. It also warns that “extremist sympathizers or self-radicalized extremists” may try to execute attacks.

The department is encouraging travelers to be cautious at holiday festivals and outdoor markets. It is urging Americans to avoid large crowds and be vigilant when visiting tourist sites, riding public transportation and meeting in places of worship, hotels, restaurants and other gathering spots.

Associated Press

More like this from vindy.com

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.