1 dead, 2 injured in shooting near Calif. voting site

1 dead, 2 injured in shooting near Calif. voting site

Someone with an assault rifle killed one person and wounded two others Tuesday near two Los Angeles-area polling sites that were locked down as a result.

The suspect then began shooting at arriving officers who returned fire before they took cover near a park, Azusa police Chief Steve Hunt said.

One person was down at the front door of a home, but Hunt couldn’t immediately say whether that person was the shooter.

Police Officer Jerry Willison said the person was believed to be dead.

Elections officials say one of the polling sites later reopened. Voters were being urged to seek nearby polling places.

The motive of the shooting was unknown, and it was unclear if it had anything to do with the election.

Man fatally shot after fighting for Kan. deputy’s gun

HAYS, Kan.

A deputy has shot and killed a motorist who tried to take the deputy’s gun Tuesday after a pursuit ended in a crash in western Kansas, authorities said.

The Ellis County prosecutor said in a news release that the chase started after Hays police officers attempted to stop the white driver from crossing the center line. After initially stopping, the driver sped off, and an Ellis County deputy sheriff joined in the pursuit.

The motorist reached speeds of more than 100 mph before crashing while attempting to pass another vehicle on U.S. 183.

Jury: Ex-officer discriminated against black man


A federal jury has found that a white former Seattle police officer who arrested a black man using a golf club as a cane engaged in racial discrimination.

The Seattle Times reports that jurors reached the unanimous verdict Tuesday against Cynthia Whitlatch after starting deliberations Monday in the civil-rights lawsuit. The eight-member jury awarded $325,000 in compensatory damages to William Wingate.

The lawsuit stemmed from Whitlatch’s arrest of then 69-year-old Wingate while he was walking with the golf club in Seattle in July 2014.

Whitlatch, a 49-year-old longtime officer, was fired as a result of the incident.

Congo explosion kills 1, injures 32 UN peacekeepers

GOMA, Congo

An explosion while a group of Indian peacekeepers were exercising in eastern Congo on Tuesday morning killed a young girl, injured 32 peacekeepers and sparked an angry demonstration that was dispersed by tear gas, U.N. officials and witnesses said.

U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters at U.N. headquarters in New York that five of the peacekeepers were seriously hurt but none were killed.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack and called for “swift action” to bring the perpetrators to justice, Dujarric said.

Julien Paluku, governor of North Kivu province, had said earlier that one peacekeeper and an 8-year-old child were killed and three civilians were injured in the blast in the outskirts of Goma.

Dujarric said that according to preliminary reports, the explosion was caused by an improvised explosive device that detonated while the peacekeepers were on a morning run. Earlier, officials said a grenade had detonated.

Combined dispatches

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.