Liberty Township traffic-camera warning period began today


LIBERTY — The township police department today began using a hand-held camera to enforce speed restrictions.

Speeders caught by the camera, however, will not pay fines until a 30-day warning period ends Aug. 1.

A 2014 Ohio law restricting the use of such cameras requires the warning period.

There is a flat $100 fine for speeding under normal circumstances, in addition to fees for late payment. The fine for speeding in a construction zone is $150.

To receive a citation, a driver must be at least 10 miles over the speed limit under normal circumstances or at least six miles over in a school zone.

The citations are civil, meaning they do not count against an offender’s driving record. Drivers have the option to appeal the citations before a hearings administrator.

The police department plans to focus its camera enforcement on state Route 11, state Route 193 (Belmont Avenue), state Route 304 (Church Hill-Hubbard Road) and a Shady Road school zone.

Ohio law restricts small townships from enforcing traffic violations on interstate highways.

Police Chief Richard Tisone said he hopes the law will change so the township can use the camera on Interstate 80 in the future.

Trustees voted unanimously this month to enter into a contract with Optotraffic of Latham, Md., for the program.

Under the contract, Optotraffic provides a camera, mails citations and collects 35 percent of fine revenue. The township receives the remaining 65 percent.

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.