Police officer in Ga. fatally shot

Police officer in Ga. fatally shot


A police officer in a small, central Georgia city has been shot and killed by a suspect who remains on the loose, authorities said Sunday.

Eastman Patrol Officer Tim Smith was fatally shot about 9:30 p.m. Saturday in a residential area of the city located about 60 miles southeast of Macon, Georgia Bureau of Investigations spokesman Scott Dutton said.

Smith, 31, was responding to a suspicious-person call when he encountered Royheem Delshawn Deeds, exited his patrol car and was shot, Dutton said.

Dutton said Deeds, 24, then fled the scene. He is being sought by police.

Boko Haram: Some abducted girls killed in airstrikes


Some of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls have been killed in Nigerian military airstrikes, according to a new video appearing to come from Boko Haram Islamic extremists, which shows one of the alleged victims pleading for authorities to release detained militants in exchange for the girls’ freedom.

The video posted Sunday on Twitter shows a girl, covered in a hijab with just her face showing, identified as one of the 276 students abducted from a remote school in northeastern Nigeria in April 2014.

In the video, she claims that some of her kidnapped classmates died in aerial bombardments by the Nigerian Air Force.

She also said that 40 have been “married” to Islamic extremist fighters.

4th body found after explosion at apartment complex


A fourth body was recovered after an explosion and fire at an apartment complex in Maryland, authorities said Sunday as firefighters continued amid sweltering heat to comb through the rubble to search for several others who remain missing.

The explosion late Wednesday night sent debris hundreds of feet, and people more than a mile away reported the blast was strong enough to shake their homes.

2 children found dead under house


Two children were found dead under a neighbor’s house Sunday after their mother matter-of-factly told someone helping her move that she had drowned them in a bathtub, authorities said.

The 30-year-old mother was in custody and not yet charged, but “all indications are she is the one who acted alone” in the deaths of her 7-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter, Houston police spokesman Kese Smith told The Associated Press.

Authorities have not yet confirmed a cause of death but said the woman purportedly told an acquaintance that she had drowned the children.

Police: Reports of shots fired at JFK airport unfounded


Reports of shots fired at New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport on Sunday night appeared to be unfounded.

Port Authority police said they did not find any firearms, rounds of ammunition, shell casings or other evidence of gunfire.

Police evacuated Terminal 8 as a precaution after receiving reports of shots fired near the departures area about 9:30 p.m.

The New York Police Department was called in to assist.

A short time later, police closed Terminal 1 after they said they received additional reports of shots fired in that terminal. An expressway approaching the airport also was shut down.

Associated Press

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.