facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Cops destroy truck load of marijuana



Published: Wed, September 3, 2014 @ 12:05 a.m.

Staff report

WARREN

Investigators aided by a helicopter last Wednesday and Thursday seized 532 marijuana plants from northern Trumbull County and 856 plants in southern Ashtabula County.

The plants would have had a street value of more than $1 million, said Ernie Cook, chief deputy with the Trumbull County Sheriff’s Office.

On Tuesday, with a court order in hand, officers destroyed 90 percent of the plants at an undisclosed location. The other 10 percent is being retained, dried and processed as evidence for possible prosecution of six individuals.

Investigators with the Trumbull Ashtabula Law Enforcement Task Force were assisted by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, which provided the helicopter, said Jeff Orr, TAG commander.

The annual two-day operation filled up the back of a large pickup truck with illegal plants. But if BCI’s helicopter had been available longer, investigators could have seized much more, Orr said.

BCI provides the helicopter every year with funding provided by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency. It costs $500 per hour to operate the helicopter.

Orr said most of the pot is planted in farmers’ fields, frequently after removing the farmers’ crops, which reduces the amount of corn the farmer can yield. In most cases, it’s impossible to identify and prosecute the owner, Orr said.

Sometimes farmers discover the plants and report it to law enforcement, Orr said.


Comments

1handymandave(539 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

They could have driven that truck to Colorado and made a bunch of money to keep that helicopter flying. At 500.00 bucks an hour, they gotta be running low on funds.

Suggest removal:

2kensgirl(634 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Maybe the growers can go out and get a real job. No that requires real work. Now go back and eat your cheetos potheads and sit and watch the Kardashians while high on past cultivations. Losers.

Suggest removal:

3westsidelove(14 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok so i get pot is a drug and all that but honestly people need to focus more time and man power on all the heroin and pillls killing people theese days. Its the real killer and somethng needs done about it! Ive known of 8 people this year that have died of heroin and or pills. Thats almost one a month I have never heard of anyone dying from a joint and im sure i never will.

Suggest removal:

4YtownParent(339 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

"I have never heard of anyone dying from a joint and im sure i never will" What about all those who got shanked while in the joint for pot
possession

Suggest removal:

5DACOUNTRYBOY(256 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Plenty of people drive while stoned on pot and die behind the wheel. How many don't die alone and take others with them? Those who like getting stoned on pot see no harm in all this.

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes