Sources: Sciortino, McNally could face indictment today

Published: Wed, May 14, 2014 @ 11:52 a.m.

CLEVELAND — Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty are expected to announce the results of a grand jury investigation today into Mahoning County political corruption, multiple sources told The Vindicator.

Youngstown Mayor John A. McNally and Mahoning County Auditor Michael Sciortino are targets of the investigation, one source said.

No source confirmed the outcome of the investigation.

When contacted by The Vindicator, Sciortino said today, “That’s the first I’ve heard of that. I have not heard from anybody. Wow. I’ve been hearing the past couple of years they’re going to bring it back. I don’t know what to think. From the bottom of my heart, I really believe I didn’t do anything wrong.”

McNally said he too had not heard anything about it.

When asked if he should have been contacted by prosecutors, McNally said, “You would think that would be nice, but nothing surprises me anymore. I’m unaware of that at the moment.”

He also maintained his innocence.

The attorney general’s office declined to comment this morning.

McNally and Sciortino were among those indicted in 2010 related to the county’s purchase of the Oakhill Renaissance Place. A visiting judge dismissed a 73-count indictment in 2011 without prejudice, meaning the charges could be refiled later.

The case was dismissed by prosecutors because of their inability to obtain tape recordings from the FBI and provide them to the defense making it impossible to proceed.

Comments

1pgurney(281 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

This is BS.

2biggieshortlegs(28 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

It's about time these corrupt dirt bags go down. pgurney your right this is BS. This should of happened a couple years ago.

3jams(5 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Great day for youngstown.ohio

4papa1(662 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

it never stops.

5DToohey(10 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

2Muchtax, In 97 I believe there was 63 or more indictments of public officials; Judge Kerrigan, Sheriff Chance, Judge Bailey, Michael Rich, O'Nesti, former county Engineer William fergus