Tressel makes first comment after accepting YSU job

Published: Fri, May 9, 2014 @ 9:59 a.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Jim Tressel has tweeted his first comment after being named Youngstown State University’s ninth president.

"Excited about the opportunity at YSU! It’s all about student success. Going to miss all the wonderful Zips at UA," he wrote via Twitter.

Tressel was named president following a unanimous vote this morning by university trustees.

Tressel has accepted the offer in principal, said Dr. Sudershan Garg, trustees chairman, and contract terms must be negotiated.

“The future is bright for YSU if all of us work together,” he said.

Dr. Garg said the university’s attorneys looked into the show cause violation imposed on Tressel by the NCAA when he was head coach at Ohio State University and that shouldn’t have any bearing on his ability to perform as YSU president.

Nobody is perfect, the board chairman said.

“As long as you acknowledge it and move forward, you have to look at the positive aspects of the individual,” he said.

Tressel, the executive vice president for student success at the University of Akron, was a finalist for president at both YSU and UA. UA Thursday opted for another candidate, clearing the way for YSU.

Trustees voted unanimously for the former coach, who led both OSU and YSU to national championships in their respective divisions, to become the next president.

Dr. Garg said trustees believe Tressel is the best candidate for the job.

“Mr. Tressel has the personality and leadership skills, in addition to widespread community support, to dramatically raise YSU’s profile and prominence across Ohio and the nation,” he said.

Shortly after Randy J. Dunn, YSU’s short-term eighth president announced that he was leaving for another job, community, business and political leaders, led by U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan, D-13th, of Howland, launched a campaign supporting Tressel for YSU president.

“This is a great day for the Mahoning Valley and Northeast Ohio,” Ryan said in a news release this morning. “I am happy to congratulate Jim Tressel on his selection as president of Youngstown State University. He is the right leader to guide YSU through the challenging times ahead. I couldn’t be more proud of the YSU Board of Trustees for their leadership. They have conducted themselves with professionalism, integrity and the boldness that this situation required.”

Following meetings with the three presidential finalists, the leadership of three YSU unions also endorsed Tressel’s candidacy.

The presidents of the unions representing the faculty, police and administrative and professional staff issued a statement this morning:

“The union presidents would like to welcome Mr. Tressel to YSU as our next university president,” it says. “We expect that he will be an excellent ambassador and an effective fundraiser for the University. We believe he has an understanding of the past, is in a position to evaluate the present, and will strive to create a future that brings us together as a well functioning, nationally recognized urban research institution. We look forward to the opportunity to work with Mr. Tressel in what we hope will be an exciting new beginning for YSU.”

Comments

1billdog1(1558 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

So YSU gets Akron's hand me downs.

2HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I certainly hope the community leaders who supported Tressel now support the university's academic endeavors, and not just athletics. We'll see.....

3UNCOMMONSENSE(384 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

billdog1 you can say that about any candidate that is chosen. Just because another university does not select an individual does not mean they are a hand me down. Give this man a chance before you claim his failure.

4Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Abe, Here is a huge bright side to this. It's going to be very difficult for the BOT to bully and micromanage Tressel, and he may prove to be their worst nightmare.

5HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh, let's hope. Maybe he can teach the Board how to google while he's at it.

6Roger_Thornhill(607 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Welcome back Jim!

7Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

He's got a lot to prove and that could actually be a good thing. I wonder if they will try to make him live in their $4.5 million debacle? Should be interesting since he just finished building a new home in Medina...

8YSU2(17 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Only in Youngstown can a liar and a cheat can become a president of a university. A black eye day for higher education.

9YSU2(17 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Only in Youngstown can a liar and a cheat become a president of a university. A black eye day for higher education.

10YSU2(17 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

It was a mistake....no...it is a mistake

11Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Well it's beside the point, but 123 you might actually do some research on what majors many Fortune 500 CEOs come from--yes, English, French Lit, Political Science. And, no, public education and public universities are not like businesses--that's just an oversimplification put forth by politicians and the media.

12walter_sobchak(1949 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Say all you want about JT and what transpired at tOSU and the fact that he doesn't have a doctorate degree. He is a motivated winner with excellent leadership skills. You manage budgets, supplies, and curricula but you lead people. At this point in time, I don't believe YSU could have asked for a president that would be more loyal to the institution. He will raise the profile of YSU.

13Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

He will certainly raise the profile. But Walter, seriously, you think the coach manages curricula? No. And is it difficult to manage budgets and supplies within OSU's enormously funded football program?

14YSU2(17 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

A sad and embarrassing day to be a YSU grad...EXACTLY

15billdog1(1558 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I truly believe that this is what many expect for YSU. I think the message sent to youth of the valley is it is okay to deceive, break rules and ruin a programs reputation (OSU football) and go on to be rewarded later. My hope is that all that wanted this stand behind Mr. Tressell and back this move by the BOT based all his ability to raise money. All those that signed that petition, we will be watching for Mr. Tressell's entire tenure. As said before, I don't believe Mr. Tressell is a bad person, but believe this could be a bad move on the BOT part. It's okay, they leave when their obligation is up and the university is left to pick up the pieces every time.

16Westsider(224 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't envy him one bit. He will owe every single person who signed the original letter supporting his appointment as well as the unions who backed his candidacy. Getting a non-politically connected position at YSU will be impossible for at least the next five years or so. He indeed is a proven successful fundraiser for athletics - I hope that he will be able to do the same for academics. The decision is made - now we will wait and see.

17redeye1(4621 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

A Mistake, NO A giant MISTAKE !!!!! Sounds like the BOT got their checks in the mail yesterday. Mistake!!!!!!!!!

18walter_sobchak(1949 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

lee,
NO, you misunderstand. My point is that "things" need to be managed; "people" need to be led. I have stated many times that it will be the Provost that will guide curricula while the President is the figurehead that will guide and lead the institution. My only concern is that the "football coach mentality" must be tempered by sound reasoning. He always impressed me that he was not the typical coach. Those of us that played football know the type of personality of which I speak. I believe his time spent at Akron prepared him well for this endeavor.

19gulfcoast(3 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Ditto - a very sad and EMBARRASSING day to be a YSU grad. Trust me, all of the mailings I receive from the alumni association are going to be marked "return to sender". Don't waste your time sending anything else in the mail. And for heaven's sake, don't be so stupid as to ask me for alumni dollars. Just ain't gonna happen.

20Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

walter, I'm keeping an open mind--I was a college athlete as well, but objectively, it's hard to not to honestly admit that the only reason this man was a finalist anywhere is because he won football games. Let's just admit that and move on.

21Millerh113(134 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Once Youngstown's super rich promoted Tessel's candidacy, his appoint to the YSU presidency was a foregone conclusion. The other two candidates should have stayed home; their presentations were ghoulish given the were already dead on arrival....Perhaps Tressel can be YSU head football coach too. He's certainly qualified for that position.

22valleyred(1099 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow:

"@FootballScoop: Per source, Tressel chose the YSU job…was offered the same position at Akron. http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop"

"@FootballScoop: @NiuHuskieJohn @HustleBelt “Job was his if he wanted it” is how source worded it. Same source who told us yesterday that today he’d get YSU"

This is the same website that announced yesterday afternoon that YSU hired Tressel.

23JoeFromHubbard(1088 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

One of the biggest problems to be faced by Jim Tressel will be fulfilling the expectations placed upon him. He is good but not God.

I would not be too concerned about some of his past "indiscretions." I think most people who have risen to the heights have committed a few venial sins along the way but are forgiven.

Good luck, Jim.

24republicanRick(1218 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I see by the above that billdog and YSU2 did not get their way so like little brats they are throwing temper tantrums. Looks like they learned nothing about life and working together with others while at YSU. Go ahead sulk like losers, winners adapt and move on to better futures.

25JRBYoungstown(44 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Way to be positive commenters. some people always see the glass half empty. I feel sorry for you people.

26billdog1(1558 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

JRB, sometimes you have to be realistic. Regardless of the circumstance.

27Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey, ysuforever, at first I thought your post was rife with sarcasm, but then I read your past posts, and now I'm praying that you write those with "tongue-in-cheek"! Dave Betras is the Valleys "most iconic citizen"? There's no way you are serious....and if you are, I think it's awesome that the staff at the institution allow you internet access! Oh, and by the way, put that access to use and search what political party Tressel donates to. Either way, congrats to UA for recognizing the importance of selecting someone without a tarnished background to lead their young people. As for the Mahoning Valley, well why not have Tressel? What the Heck, we've also chose people like Traficant, Antonini, Philomena, Cronin, Kerrigan, and most recently Belinky, not to mention a host of others! Typical and nothing more than sad.

28badeepster(113 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

To billdog and all of the other typical negative miserable morons who worship at the smelly feet of Bertie deSouza--Tressel WAS offered the Akron job and chose YSU. So there. It's a great day to be a YSU grad. School gets a needed shot in the arm.

29HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

bad...please tell me where you got that information. he was NOT offered the akron job! why are you spreading misinformation? (aka lying)

30badeepster(113 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

footballscoop.com and per Bob Hannon on WKBN radio this morning. He was to be offered the job and withdrew his name to take the YSU job. That's a fact. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Abe.

31billdog1(1558 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I hope your right badeepster. I hope Jim does a great job. I hope he pulls the university out of the mire it has been drug into. Godspeed.

32highimpactfootball(1 comment)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Congrats to Coach! He will be FANTASTIC and we love him. God Bless him!
~Ray and Staci Isaac

33valleyred(1099 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

HonestAbe,

I can attest to that. I heard late last night as well from another source. FootballScoop.com and Bob Hannon know more than you and know they know Jim Tressel. He said no thanks to Akron and wanted the YSU job.

That simple fact implodes the argument by so many in the anti-Tressel crowd that "he wasn't good enough for Akron." He was good enough for Akron, but Tressel will take the job that pays less and has more obstacles.

34Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

ysuforever Please tell me you are still being sarcastic. You can't actually believe international students will flock to YSU for Jim Tressel. Doubt most of them have even heard of him. International students choose universities based on academic reputation, degree of selectivity and campus environment. Oh and the national attention we are getting is not entirely positive either. And while we are at it in the big world beyond Youngstown and Ohio, the fact that the new president is a former big donor would be looked at with some suspicion. Tressel may in fact do great things and I wish him well but he will not bring national or international prominence--if anything the selection seals YSUs fate as totally parochial and local because we conduct sham searches driven by the good ol' boys (your icons) and there is a whole big world beyond Youngstown that will see this as just that.

35badeepster(113 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Where ya at Abe?????? Guess I wasn't lying, was I?? Go put your head back in the sand.

36Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

There is a difference between acknowledging challenges and "hating" just as there is a big difference between cheer leading and ignoring the facts. The search was indeed a sham. BOT selected solely on its own with no input, two candidates with troubled reputations at their institutions, solicited "feedback" via a survey monkey that contained no mechanism for actually ranking the candidates and was all open ended narrative. Let's do the math--hundreds of survey responses with a deadline of midnight Wednesday and a meeting to choose a candidate Thursday at 8 a.m. Again, I wish the man well and I don't hate him or the valley. But if you honestly believe there isn't a lot that needs to be changed around here, well good for you. I'm simply pointing out that its unlikely international students or academic all stars will choose a school based on the fact that a champion football coach is running it.

37Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah, ysuforever, I guess Ytown can be considered a "great'" place to live....especially when there have been fewer homicides than say...hmmmm...maybe Chicago? Oops...I forgot...that city is now run by the former "right-hand" man of that guy who thinks he is the President. And, ever since Emanual has been the leader there, violent crimes, shootings and homicides have skyrocketed!! And, I certainly wouldn't be bragging about getting any "shout outs" from an incompetent President who has a track record that includes scandals like the I.R.S., Bengahzi, the great "you can keep your doctor" lie, and overall lousy foreign policy. Now that I think about it, maybe Tressel does have a redeeming quality....at least he has sense enough to align, politically, to the right.

38DwightK(1287 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I think Jim Tressel is a fine president for YSU. He's a good speaker, a good leader and knows the institution. I have a feeling that at the end of his term the bar for leading the university will have been set very high.

39HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

You can't seriously think I'd believe anything based on information from "unnamed sources" on football websites. Try again. Tressel barely made the application deadline for the YSU job. That's a fact. Tressel's letter of application to Akron looks like it actually took some thought...his application letter to YSU was thrown together in less than half an hour. Tell me his first choice was YSU....because I have some great property in Florida to sell you....And for the record, although I still maintain he was not the most qualified candidate, I wish him well. He's got a tough job ahead of him....faculty and staff negotiations, budget shortfalls, etc. For those of you mouthing off about your beloved YSU and how Tressel is going to make YSU great again...I'd say that YSU is already a great institution and offers tremendous educational value for students. Lets hope some of you put your money where you mouth is. I do....

40valleyred(1099 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

HonestAbe,

Bob Hannon and Joe Cassese are not anonymous. They talk to Jim Tressel frequently. Both have come out in the media and repeated what FootballScoop has said.

If you don't believe the most trusted football coaching scoop website on the web, then call/email Bob or Joe. They are visible in the community and will not shy away from the facts.

41Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think anyone really wants to see him fail. Here are the pluses: He is a great public speaker, hopefully the BOT will be afraid to try to bully him, he probably will be a hit in Columbus because so many lawmakers are OSU alums and YSU really needs a presence in Columbus. That said, this whole process was a sham and YSUs reputation beyond N.E. Ohio could actually be diminished, clearly the reason he even made finalist is because he won football games, not because of his understanding of higher ed, and just as easily, the influence of the cronies could be greater--there you go--the good and the bad, only time will tell.

42mreslnha(9 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I am a YSU grad and I am NOT embarrassed at all! I don't know what qualifies someone to be a university president but I am sure the YSU trustees are well aware of those qualifications. The trustees themselves are knowledgable and capable of hiring the right person for the position. Unless you sat through their board meetings, in on the interviews and reviewed all the documentation please move past this and accept it.

43walter_sobchak(1949 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

HonestAbe,
Published reports and Harry Meshel both state that Akron never had the opportunity to offer the President's position to Tressel because, once YSU offered it to him on Thursday, JT withdrew his name from consideration. But, when you see how rushed the meeting of the two boards were, it seems obvious that both institutions wanted him as their leader. I don't think Akron created a position just for him and then let him go. As everyone knew, it was Tressel's choice and he chose to come home. This is good for YSU and our community.

44ytowntomg(26 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm most upset that he is not a liberal. That's all this valley needs is another god fearing highly moraled family man disagreeing with the 1% liberal population here. I thought it was the law that only liberals could teach or run universities. I think this must be a racially motivated hiring. How many minorities were interviewed. Foul. Foul. Foul. Maybe Obama can step in and use executive privilege to stop this before it's too late.

45Attis(908 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Second Coming of Jim gonna be heaven on earth for YSU? Get a life folks.

46Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Amen to you, patrickhm! Your post was the most "spot-on" take I've read since this Tressel debacle started! As reported in the Akron Beacon Journal, Tressels background was deemed "unacceptable" by the UA Prof's Association and nothing was reported about the "fairy tale" that Tressel was offered the UA job, but turned it down, in favor of YSU. Just more misinformation being spread in hopes of trying to put a "shine" back on a bad penny.

47OhioCop(3 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I worked with Coach Tressel at YSU in the 80's, he was a class guy. He will be a great choice for YSU.

48valleyred(1099 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Chessie, WKBN 27 at 11pm repeated that Tressel was the top pick of Akron, but withdrew his name in favor of YSU.

Cleveland.com has a big article on it as well. Not hard to find this stuff my friend.

49CountryGirl51(207 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

So we picked someone on his name and personality ! What a shame ! He was NOT the one most qualified for the job ! Everyone is talking about what a great coach he was. Yes he was. BUT he isnt here to be a coach ! This was plain politics nothing more !

50Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Actually mrsinha I did review all of the documents and attended every meeting they allowed the public to attend--everyone (including you I suspect) knows it was rigged and if the community and local media are all fine with it, well there you go. On the whole PHD/non PHD that everyone seems to thing is the big issue, Here is what UA faculty had to say from today's Vindy:

"Weeks said faculty were worried not that Tressel didn’t have a doctorate or that he had left Ohio State for lying to the NCAA about player infractions. It was his lack of experience."

- See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/may/10...

51ytown37(12 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Seriouslee -- That's ONE faculty member. Our Union endorsed him. Why don't you spend more time on campus talking to professors before you form your absurd opinion? I can tell you first hand several faculty members have remarked their approval of the hiring and been quite happy with it. You wouldn't know that, though.. would you?

52HonestAbe(274 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

No, the union PRESIDENTS endorsed Tressel...not the membership. You should know that. And I don't know who you were speaking to ytown35 because there were a number of faculty and staff who had the same reservations as the faculty, students, and staff at Akron. I, too, attended every public meeting and Tressel did not answer the tough questions from the Jambar and other members in the audience. And...like seriouslee states, this entire dog and pony show was rigged from the beginning. Does that mean I won't support him now that he is president? Absolutely not. YSU is a great institution. I think we can all agree on that.

53Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Actually, you are wrong. The faculty union did NOT endorse any candidate. The president of the faculty union, along with the presidents of the other unions, issued personal endorsements as individuals NOT speaking for the membership. Now, if you read further, you would find that Akron's union conducted a survey of faculty union members that overwhelmingly disapproved of Tressel. This is not the case at YSU--no survey of faculty union members was done by the union heads, and if you do talk to many professors on campus, they will confirm that the individuals were not speaking for the groups. So, you kind of have it backwards there.

54Seriouslee(115 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Abe, I agree. The truth about and the significance of this whole process is simply lost and this is in in large part due to the lack of misinformation out there. Good luck to Tress and YSU, I'm done.

55HSG(137 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Perfect fit, no doubt about it.

Anyway, could someone explain, in plain English, why Tressel left Ohio state?

I have found it difficult to understand why such a successful coach would suddenly find himself without a coaching job, and besides, unable to accept such a job for five years.

Is it too late to try to get Gordon gee?

56GuinsFootball4Life(4 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

123goz, your post indicates that Acadia hired a candidate with "a long record as an academic administrator."

While my hope is that Tressel's coaching career gave him "an intimate understanding of what a university is, and what its employees do," and that he is ultimately a success at YSU, your post about Acadia's hire is nowhere near apples-to-apples.

Mr. Ivany, prior to the appointment at Acadia, ran a community college for seven years. One assumes Acadia saw that experience as a factor that strongly mitigated against Ivany's non-traditional pedigree.

As an alum, I wish Tressel and YSU the best, but people are entitled to temper their optimism with a little caution.

57JollyGood(2 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Akron's loss is Youngstown's gain. Akron hires yet another ivory tower snob. Youngstown gets the out front people person who loves to help students succeed. Congratulations Youngstown. Sorry for my alma mater Akron.

58Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

BlueSteel....thanks for posting those links to the ESPN and SI stories. After re-reading them, it finally dawned on me why Y-towners are so endeared to Tressel......the way he ran his programs at YSU and OSU probably made the Lennie Strollos and Carlos Gambinos of the world "green with envy". Just like the "mob" mentality...why conduct yourself honorably when you can get more by cheating, and when you get caught, just use the old adage..."I ain't seen nut tin' ".

59ytown37(12 comments)posted 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I forgot that some of you are perfect people who have never made a single mistake in their lives before.

60pulaskifarm(26 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

He was hired for president for the same reason he was hired as OSU football coach....He's a very successful administrator.

61uptowngirl(115 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

It is rare that any major university escapes NCAA violations. It seems that the NCAA is very arbitrary in it's rules enforcement. If you have a losing program, the NCAA is going to leave you alone. Universities hire highly educated staffs to work in the compliance departments and things do not go perfectly. If the Penn State pedophilia story had broken first Tressel and OSU would have been a non-issue. Get over it and give the guy a chance.

62Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

uptowngirl.....so let me see if I get your logic, here.....if the Joe Paterno scandal had made news first, then it wouldn't have mattered that Tressel lied and cheated? I agree that Tressels transgressions pale in comparison to what Sandusky and Paterno were involved in, but I don't think he deserves a "pass" because there was a "bigger story" at PSU. And once again, here is that "get over it" comment....and once again I say the people of this Valley are so used to "getting over" all of the corruption, that the corruption continues to perpetuate itself, and corrupt officials keep getting hired, promoted and elected. This cycle will never be broken if you are willing to accept and "get over" people without integrity and honesty to lead and help this Valley lose it's tarnished reputation.

63southsidedave(4806 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

It will be interesting to watch if problems arise in the new administration and how the public will react

64ytowntomg(26 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

It kills me to hear all this whining from Youngstown people. This city was built by tough guys, not paper mice. Tressel was protecting his players, his fans and yes, his own record. So what? If you don't think coaches and players cheat in football, you've never walked on a field, ever. Players are taught to cheat (and not get caught). Players in all sports (except maybe golf) cheat constantly. Larry Bird was called the biggest cheater in basketball, yet was beloved. Go Jim. Go YSU. Go Buckeyes. And whiners go back to picking your noses and typing. You probably get no audience face to face so this is your world.

65Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

So Tressel was protecting his players.....from whom? And providing his fans with a record of "ill-gotten gains". Now there's something to be proud of. I'll teach my children that cheating at anything only proves that they are less than the next person who tries his best by playing by the rules, and if they don't come in "first place", instead of walking away with the shiny trophy, they walk away with their honor and integrity, intact. Ytowntomg, with your attitude, it's no wonder Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley has the reputation it has.....corruption run amok!

66Guin96(40 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

ytownomg,
I am supporting Mr. Tressel because he is now our next president. However, it is NOT ok that he lied and cheated and that we should look the other way because "everybody does it". I agree with Chessiedad that this type of attitude contributes to corruption. But we all make mistakes and I believe in second chances. I just hope that he has learned from these past mistakes and will prove to be a good leader for YSU.

67kurtw(914 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

If Tressel had been honest, he'd have "tweeted"- "Great to be making a half millions bucks a year telling the Schmucks in Y-town what they like to hear. Easy money, I say, and it's also great to have a local newspaper, the Vindy (best in the State!) supporting me all the way (legalized Larceny?). I can't imagine a better deal than this one- except being stuck on a desert island with Phyllis Diller (joke!)"

68ytowntomg(26 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

I just hope Tressel doesn't trade his YSU president's sweater for a tattoo. The NCAA might make Trafficant interim YSU president.