Lepore-Hagan captures nod for House seat held by her husband

Published: Wed, May 7, 2014 @ 12:06 a.m.

Victor poised to replace husband in ’15

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Michele Lepore- Hagan won the four-person Democratic primary to succeed her husband in the Ohio House of Representatives.

No one filed as a Republican or an independent candidate in the Democratic-heavy 58th Ohio House District race. Lepore-Hagan won’t face an opponent in the November general election unless someone files a long-shot write-in campaign by the Aug. 25 deadline.

Lepore-Hagan captured 47 percent of the vote with Youngstown Councilwoman Janet Tarpley, D-6th, coming in a distant second with 26 percent of the vote, according to unofficial totals from the Mahoning County Board of Elections.

“I’m thrilled, I’m honored and I’m so ready to take on this challenge,” Hagan said. “I worked really hard, and had the most amazing support group helping and encouraging me.”

Her husband, Robert, has held the House seat for nearly eight years and couldn’t run for it again this year because of the state’s term-limits law. He has been a state representative or state senator since 1987.

Lepore-Hagan, of Youngstown, received the endorsements of the Mahoning County and Ohio Democratic parties and numerous labor organizations and unions, in her first bid for elected office.

She also raised considerably more money than the combined amounts of her three primary opponents — Tarpley, Cynthia McWilson and Michael O’Hara, all of Youngstown.

As of April 16, the most recent finance reporting deadline, Lepore-Hagan raised $69,553 to $20,889 for Tarpley and $1,100 from O’Hara. McWilson failed to file a report.

O’Hara finished in third in Tuesday’s vote with 15 percent with Wilson in last with 12 percent.

Tarpley is a two-term Youngstown councilwoman while McWilson unsuccessfully ran for the city’s 5th Ward seat in 1999 and 2003 while O’Hara has unsuccessfully run for various elected offices during the past 30 years.

The other candidates had criticized Lepore-Hagan, the director of the Performing Arts Series in Youngstown State University’s College of Creative Arts and Communications, for running on her husband’s name.

But she said she ran on her own merit.

“I needed to prove myself because I’ve never run for office before and because I’m married to Bobby,” Lepore-Hagan said.

“I had to work hard to prove who I am and that I’m ready to take on these challenges. The results show I’m qualified and people believe in me.”

The 58th District includes all of Youngstown, Struthers, Campbell, Lowellville and Coitsville and 36 of the 40 precincts in Austintown Township.

Comments

1handymandave(474 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

So we can expect the same thing from her that we got from her husband.

2suefull(22 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Right on Handyman! Typical voting for this area. Showing up at a cancer benefit to campaign made me sick to my stomach!

3UNCOMMONSENSE(365 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

You get the government you vote for.

4DwightK(1256 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think the voters in this area are making good decisions.

5James_S(268 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Federal, State, Local "elections"... all fixed in this country

6bmanresident(597 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

This is exactly what term limits are for! We have had to deal with Booby Hagan for eight years and now we get another right years if Mrs Booby Hagan.
I wonder if his wife shares the same passion for belly dancers as her husband does?

7mrblue(983 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

All that was done was re-elect her husband. A big mistake.

8CantStandYa(123 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

ASTOUNDING THAT THE PEOPLE CAN BE SO BLIND

THIS MAN IS IN ALL OF HER CAMPAIGN COMMERCIALS AND ACCOMPANIED HER TO VARIOUS EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE VALLEY

Good job voters.

9CantStandYa(123 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

And now we will all pay his salary when she gives him a job.

Priceless.