‘Duck Dynasty’ star bashes US as sinful nation at men’s rally

Published: Sun, May 4, 2014 @ 12:10 a.m.

By Sean Barron

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

For Julie Johnson and her son, Hayden Johnson, seeing Phil Robertson, the star of the popular A&E reality show “Duck Dynasty,” was uplifting — though perhaps not in the usual ways.

“I’m so lucky to have all my friends and family,” the 13-year-old Salem boy said. “I just want to say, ‘Thank you.’”

When he was 15 months old, Hayden was diagnosed with a brain tumor, something he fought for about eight years. These days, he’s doing well, he said.

Mother and son expressed gratitude to Robertson and his family for having prayed for Hayden during Saturday’s Men’s Rally in the Valley 2014 at the Covelli Centre downtown.

Robertson was the main draw for the seven-hour gathering, in its fifth year, which combines religious messages, music and workshops. Its theme was “No Compromise … No Retreat … Standing on the Truth,” taken from the biblical Book of Daniel.

Between 4,500 and 5,000 people attended the indoor event, which was fashioned after the “Promise Keepers” gatherings and featured six main speakers. It also sought to bring together men for fellowship, prayer and worship while allowing them to more fully realize and appreciate their importance in the church, family and community, noted Walter “Bing” Newton, event organizer.

More than 20 men were baptized during the event, said Newton, a former Salem High School teacher and track coach.

In his presentation, “No Compromise, No Retreat,” Robertson denounced what he sees as the hypocrisy between many courthouses across the nation removing the Ten Commandments yet having to deal with those who break them. Nearly all defendants who appear in court are there because they stole, committed murder and other violations of the commandments, he explained.

“What in the world has happened to the United States of America? It is pitiful!” shouted Robertson, the family patriarch who founded Duck Commander Co.

Late last year, Robertson came under fire for comments he made in a GQ magazine article in which he called homosexuality a sin and compared it to bestiality, something that angered many in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and others, and resulted in his temporary suspension from the show.

During the same interview, Robertson also offended many blacks by saying that he never saw any black people mistreated while growing up in Louisiana before the modern civil-rights movement in the Jim Crow South.

The reality-show star said several times during his talk at the rally that the country has “a sin problem” and that committing sinful acts inevitably separates people from God. Those who accept Jesus Christ aren’t immune from wrongdoing, but are cleansed and will be right with God, he contended.

Introducing Robertson was his eldest son, the Rev. Alan Robertson, who warmed up the crowd by making self-effacing jokes about how he’s the only sibling without a beard.

Many attendees wore T-shirts that read “Happy, Happy, Happy,” after Robertson’s autobiography, “Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander.” Others huddled in small prayer groups during breaks between presentations.

Providing much of the music was a 300-member choir from the Men of Faith group.

The rally also featured an estimated 60 ministry tables at which were representatives from the Art of Marriage, Ohio Valley Teen Challenge, Victory Christian School, Heroes & Halos, 95.5 The Fish, a Cleveland Christian radio station, and other entities.

Many men partook of merchandise for sale such as religious-themed books, compact discs and T-shirts, Bibles, small crosses and coffee mugs. Also available were numerous copies of the 1962 bestseller, “The Cross & the Switchblade,” a true story by David Wilkerson, a pastor, about his years ministering to New York City street gangs.

Newton, the event’s coordinator, said he was pleased with how the rally has impacted participants and attendees. “If God is going to release these men upon the Valley, they’re going to make a difference,” he added.

Comments

1willinnyny(83 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Phil Robertson = Ignoramus / Bigot

As the old Bing Crosby song goes: "All the monkeys aren't in the zoo --- every day you meet quite a few."

2parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Yeah Phil, something is wrong with America and it's you and all the lunatics like you who were at the Covelli Center yesterday. You righteous Bible-thumpers who don't even realize that our Founders, Jefferson, Franklin, Washington and Adams were not religious at all. In fact they founded a country based on the law of man, not the law of the Bible. You nuts have co-opted the truth of America and turned it into a Christo-fascist country. You zealots would be the first ones to round up those you rail against, minorities, migrants, homosexuals and feminists and turn America into 1930's Germany today. All under the righteous banner of your Lord!! And Phil, you of all people, a camo-wearing racist- hater spouting your vitriol. What a hypocrite! What a bunch of clowns, the lot of you. Jesus must just shake his head in disgust at the so-called Christians using religion as a means of division and hate. All of you righteous Bible-thumpers, just hit the road and take your Hater-Dynasty blowhard with you. Amazing, a bum like Robertson having anyone's respect. The country is in trouble.

3HSG(123 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Einstein, disguised as robin hood, and his friend, a jealous monk, passed this way an hour ago with his memories in a trunk.

You may not think to look at him, hut he was famous long ago
For playing the electric violin on Desolation Row.

"Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan 1965

4Knightcap(699 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

This area would be good a place to live if we did away with all preachers, churches, heterosexuals, anti- abortionists, white old people over 50, and those tea party people who want less taxes. Bring them to the gas chambers and ovens. We need more gays, baby killers, illegal aliens, welfare people, Obama supporters and the name Jesus Christ shall be stricken from all books, buildings and obelisks. So let it be written, so let it be done.

5lovethiscity(147 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

A month ago when we invited renown physicist Michio Kaku to Youngstown to speak I thought...wow, that wouldn't have happened even ten years ago in Youngstown. That's progress!

Then these morons bring Phil Robertson to town blasting Youngstown back into the Stone Ago.

Thank you so much Walter "Bing" Newton.

6bunkpatrol(87 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

If these men were truly righteous and not so self righteous, they'd go on tour of their own CHARITY and SACRIFICE and leave the trinket peddling to the rest of the snake oil salespeople of the world.

Same with the attendees. How about actually doing what you say Jesus did instead of buying t-shirts proclaiming how holy you are.

7LovinLife(20 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow Boardman Jeff...not a tough decision figuring out which one of you I'd rather have as a neighbor.

Thanks for being honest and showing the true, wonderful tolerance of the left.

8Not_Gilligans_Ginger(129 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I don't think Phil Robertson was the right person to bring to Youngstown, Ohio. Here we have both a large black population and gay and lesbian population, not to mention women, who he thinks should marry at 15 or 16 when they'll want to take care of their [older] man. In his GQ interview he offended gays and lesbians and blacks and pretty much proved himself to be a misogynist, at least to me. While touting his love for his country, Duck Dynasty trinkets and goods are made in CHINA. So much for America. The A&E stars get richer while the suckers who buy their foreign made products get poorer. If Phil Robertson is truly a follower of Christ, he would love everyone, not just those who perform "Phil Robertson Approved" sins. A sin is a sin. He needs to get back to his reality and let Miss Kay get back to pickin' his ducks like a good wife should.

9rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

The sad comments on this story. By people who spew hate snd hide behind phony names.

10gregoryfilms(13 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Hard to believe all the hatred displayed here. A group of men decide to get together to pray, worship God, become better men, better fathers, better husbands...and all in the name of love. All I read here is such hatred from people who disagree. I guess tolerance is only available for those you agree with???
Phil Robertson said he loves everyone because God loves everyone. He said he agrees with what God says about homosexuality and sinful lifestyles. Not once did he say he hates gay people.
In response to a message of love and salvation, here's the responses (and I quote)....

"I'll make sure to urinate on his Christ-Fil-A tenders before he leaves town, and maybe stick my boot so far up his rear that he'll know what snakeskin tastes like !"
---Boardman_Jeff
"Bring them to the gas chambers and ovens."
---Knightcap
"Phil Robertson = Ignoramus / Bigot"
---willinnyny

Shows you who the REAL haters are, doesn't it? I'm proud of the Men Of Faith group, all the brave guys who were there, and proud to be a Christian with them all.

11gregoryfilms(13 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

By the way...America IS a sinful nation that has turned it's back on God.

12SailsRC(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow, the truth stirs the pot! Apostle Paul says it best "But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus’ sake. For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (II Corinthians 4:3-6 NKJV)"

13SailsRC(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Hard to believe but obviously a person can be so ignorant that they do not even realize they are proving it in writing.., Amazing! Dust off your feet Christians.

14Not_Gilligans_Ginger(129 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Like I said, the only sins that are okay are "Phil Robertson Approved" sins. You only have to be a proud American patriot when it's convenient for you. I'm a Christian (left) and I don't like his attitude when it comes to homosexuals, blacks, and women. I said a better man could have been chosen to speak at the rally. I'm happy our area hosts the rally, but really? Phil Robertson? How can he possibly relate to the men of Youngstown, Ohio? Everybody sins. Phil sinned. He coerced and schmoozed a teenage girl into marrying him. What would you all do if a 20 year old man was trying to court your daughter or granddaughter? Think about it. He ain't right...

15stan_smagala(56 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I have no horse in the race and don't know much about the guy, but the hatred, anger and name-calling from those opposed to him is telling. I certainly don't want to be like them.

16DwightK(1256 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you?

17TonyRome(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I WAS THERE, and it was a great place to be. Phip Robertson and other speakers gave a driving speech for everyone to become closer to God, The Bible and our Religion. The name callers and Religion haters are the people that need spiritual help.

18parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Ah, right-wing lunatics!!! Always good for a laugh. Holding their Bibles tight in one hand, their guns in the other, spreading hate from their pie-holes. I like to say they are just simple-minded and need to believe in the greatest Mother Goose book of all time, the Bible, but simple-minded is not correct. They are dumber than rocks. They idolize a bum like Robertson, a racist hillbilly, and disparage a good man like President Obama. You know why they like Robertson? Because he is like them. Unwashed and ignorant. They HATE Obama because Obama overcame his lowly start in life and now is President. They hate Obama BECAUSE he is exponentially more intelligent and accomplished than trailer-trash like Robertson. Robertson is actually unworthy to be mentioned in the same breath as the President. The Obama family is the best example of what Christian families should be about, yet the right-wing trash would take the Duck Dynasty family in a heartbeat. The Christian-right acts the part, but they are neither Christian, nor right. They are Bible-thumping bigots and we'd all be far better off if they just took a long walk off a short pier. PS...hey Christian-trash, you know why I mentioned "Obama"??? It was just to get you all howling at the moon and typing away!!!

19eevo(51 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Just remember, you are not a racist as long as you like one black person. Carson/Rice 2016.

20JoMarko(49 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm heartened that so many from this community reject the Duck Dynasty's Christian Taliban vision.

21gregoryfilms(13 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Just sitting here smiling and waiting for Boardman_Jeff to run me and my kind out of "his" valley ( I never knew! I wonder when he bought it?)....now that he's "served me notice" and all......
It's ok Jeff, I still say I'll pray for you and show you the love and tolerance that you refuse to show Christians. I'll even welcome the chance to sit and talk with you if you like. My real name is Tom Gregory. I truly pray you have a nice day and that God gets through to you someday before it's too late.
Peace.

22JoMarko(49 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Golly eieio, neither Family Member nor Boardman mentioned race let alone played the RACEcard.

23southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It is easy to spew hatred and negativity when the Big Networks are paying you MILLIONS of $$$$...and the race card you can keep until we are all leave the planet...then we will all be equal.

24tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Evidently, the truth hurts. It's said that it takes someone from the outside to come in and tell the unvarnished truth. Many people around here have had little experience with it. Long overdue.

25parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

eivo...you took the bait...EXCELLENT!! hey eivo, if you are standing outside your trailer when the Waste Management truck comes by, do the trash men throw you in? eivo, you poor little man, spewing your vitriol about our President!
Let me ask you, eivo, if Jeopardy changed its format where a contestant was playing for THEIR LIFE and had to chose between Robertson and Obama to play for them, you would chose Robertson, with your life on the line?? Now that's funny!!! LOL!!!
see you later, eivo...maybe you are a fish that can type, because you sure took the bait when I mentioned, OBAMA...THE MAN who beats your right-wingers like a rented mule!!!

26rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey Palayhenry
Let's change your question.
if your life was on the line in Benghazi who would you want?

Robertson was a better quarterback than Terry Bradshaw in college but decided not to pursue an NFL career. So instead he ended up founding a pretty successful business doing something he enjoyed.

Now tell me other than feeding at the public trough what has Obama done? Or in other words tell me Obama's accomplishments before his life in politics.

27parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

hey rickking, let's change your question, if you were in the Twin Towers, IN THIS COUNTRY, or the Pentagon, IN THIS COUNTRY, on 9/11, who would you want, Bush and Cheney? You sppout about "Benghazi" but you right-wing hippocrites did not one thing about what Bush knew about 9/11 that killed thousands. That was OK, because Bush was your boy. Dumb as a brick, just like your boy, Phill and just like you, rickking.
You racist trash hate Obama and you cry "Benghazi" as if that was the "conspiracy" you trash on the right have wanted since day one of a black man being elected. And if your life was on the line and depended on the intelligence of Robertson compared to Obama, and you picked Robertson, you'd be where you deserve to b,e in the 10th circle of hell. Keep on hatin', bro. Yell "Benghazi" and IRS" until your lungs bleed, but Obama ain't going anywhere. He wins, don't you get it, he's a winner. PS I knew my mention of Obama would bring out all the lunatics, like you! You took the bait, boy! LOL!

28rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlay
and I knew my question would bring out the lunatic in you and it did as evidenced by your going off the deep end.

but you never did answer my question about obama's accomplishments. Those should be public record so I'll wait for your response.

29rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlay

Nonresponsive answer. I asked his accomplishments before his political life.

You go off the deep end spouting all manner of vitriol about me even though you don't know me at all. That speaks volumes about the caliber of person that you are.

30parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

rickking you're right, i did get excited that you posted and was a bit too "enthusiastic" with my response...you'll get over it...
well, do you get the problem with your question...what are Obama's accomplishments...well, other than the fact that he is the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth, I guess he hasn't accomplished much. HE GOT TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES...DON'T YOU GET IT??? Obama is President...no one gave him the job...he mapped his life out to be President and he accomplished that...everything he did in his life led to becoming the leader of the free world and you ask, what did he ever accomplish?? rickking, you have to be kidding!!! to you, Obama was handed the Presidency, like a welfare check, for doing NOTHING...we had a lottery and Obama won...LOL!!
here's a suggestion, why don't you and the rest of your brethren petition to run Robertson, that great man of business, that accomplished statesman, that Bible-thumping piece of trash, for President in 2016 and see if he can win? You're telling me he has way more accomplishments than Obama ever had, so winning should be easy.
You know, rickking, i have a bit of fun with this stuff, it is a diversion for me, but sometimes, when i run into pseudo-intellectuals like yourself, who spout the most outrageous nonsense, i get a bit depressed. you actually think you're making sense and that the rest of us are messed-up. gawd!!! no one should think like you do. but go down this page and there are far too many who do think like you. tragic for our country.

31rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not the one that spouted the outrageous nonsense.
You still never answered my question. PRIOR to his life in politics what are his accomplishments?

You denigrate Robertson yet he's created more jobs than Obama. You see politicians don't create jobs.

Take Obama off his teleprompter and he'll tell you that he's been to all 57 states.

The way that people like you fawn all over Obama is what cracks me up.

It's a great accomplishment that Obama gets elected to the Presidency twice, however George Bush does the exact same thing and you say he's as dumb as a brick. I guess it's not that great an accomplishment after all.

He's given the Nobel Peace Prize for what? Because he wasn't George Bush?

Now the latest is that he's TOO Intelligent to be President (you can't make this stuff up if you tried).

If you think that he mapped out his whole life to become President, well that shows me that you are rewriting history because it's simply not true. Maybe you should do some research first before you make such statements?

And please don't call me rascist because I disagree with Obama's policies.
You see I don't care about the color of his skin, but people like you throw out the race card all the time when someone disagrees with the President. It's the first line of defense for Obama groupies like yourself.

Don't worry if you're depressed you have Obamacare. What will depress you is the annual deductible that you now have to pay though.

And what's really tragic for this country is the 6 trillion that's been added to the debt under Obama.

32parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

rickking..it is just as I said, no one should think like you. i'm serious. no sarcasm, no joke. for you to actually say, what did Obama accomplish BEFORE he became President??? oh nothing at all, that's why the MAJORITY of the AMERICAN people elected him TWICE to be President. Obama was a bum before he became President. He just laid around all day smoking pot and EVERYONE said to themselves, "let's elect this bum to be President."
rickking, you win. your blind ignorance, whether it is race-based or due to something organic that's wrong with you, is too depressing. this is not fun to think that people like you walk among us. I think it has to be that you have something organic wrong with you...some strand of DNA that just isn't there with you and the rest like you...you are to be pitied...but not as much as the people who have to be around you...
i leave you with this exchange from the movie, No Country For Old Men:
Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of *you*.

33tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Would it be too much to suggest that we get back on to the original issue?
The matter of describing the United States as a sinful nation?
Look at the pages of this very paper. Include if you like back issues from similar news organizations in places like Warren, Salem, Sharon - we need not go to Akron, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh. Just in our own backyard.
What do we see? Not just the big events - the murders, assaults, institutional bribery and corruption (and acceptance of same) in public institutions and offices. I'm thinking of the kids that will be raised by 30-some year-old grandparents using welfare for a job, kids who will grow up without knowing a father. I'm thinking of hideous levels of alcoholism and drug addiction. I'm referring to 14 and 15-year-olds giving birth and continuing the cycle. I've been in homes that have ZERO books therein, certainly not a Bible around, and in which reading or any other learning is actively discouraged. I'm referring to casual gunfire at someone who wore the "wrong" color of clothes.
And much else.
Ever visit an Emergency Room on Saturday night? or the local police station? been at a funeral home to see the gathering for someone who got drunked up and died in a wreck, or someone who gave up hope and blew his head off? Heard the weeping of someone whose husband - or "partner" as we now quaintly term it -- was found to have two other "baby mamas"? Saw the sad eyes of a kid at the ball game looking for the person believed to be Dad. but who was too involved with the current "squeeze" to bother to come?
Need more examples? There's plenty.
And we all know it.
Sinful nation? I think the term is too kind.
Desperately wicked and headed to destruction is more the case, and soon too.
If that upsets those who would rather talk far-off politics rather than the rot in their own town, neighborhood, or family, good! It's about time!

34cambridge(3013 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

tnmartin....read your post, reading between the lines made it easy to break the code. Not very "christian".

35tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

"code"??? I truly have no idea what you are meaning here. My secret decoder ring broke last week.

36parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

hey tnmartin...man is man, no better morally two thousand years ago than today. after all, they put Jesus to death 2000 years ago...weren't they holier than the sinners are today?? when were the people in this country better??? 150 years ago when we enslaved other human beings for our benefit?? people, supposedly, were pretty close to God back then....of course this will go right by you...you are incapable of understanding...you and the other Robertson Bible-Thumpers are examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect...look it up....also, while you are at it, why don't you look at the real history fo the book that you put so much stock in, the Bible. Do you have any idea how it came to us today?? God sure didn't hand it to anyone. The Bible is the product of MAN, not GOD. How did the Hebrew bible come about?? How did the New Testament come to be?? What writings were included in the Bible and what writings were not included? and who decided what would be included? You holy-rollers act like YOU KNOW the Bible, but you don't know squat...you are unwashed and ignorant... are all upset about abortion and gay-marriage and you use that to say that our modern times are sinful, all while you grip your Mother Goose Book of Fairy Tales, the Bible. The kids today are the greatest generation this country has ever produced. you know why?? because they are the most like Jesus...they accept people's differences in race, gender and sexual preference.
The country and the world will be much better when those like Phil Robertson and his fellow hippocrites have been sent to their reward...which will be quite the opposite of what they think it will be. tnmartin, study the history of the bible...it won't change your mind, but that is because you don't have one to change....... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic...

37rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlayhenry

You crack me up. Still haven't answered my question.
Maybe that's because you truly can't.

The american electorate has voted for many poor candidates mostly because it's comprised of people just like you. Or are you going to tell me that every President has been great? Or are you reserving that solely for your guy? Groupies like yourself are seldom truly objective.

You can save your movie quotes. Open the Bible instead it just might save your immortal soul.

And i still give little credence to someone who posts insults under a fake name.

38parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

rickking, you are the poster-boy for the Dunning-Kruger Effect

Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of *you*.

39tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

there is a real pattern of anger and getting off the subject here, isn't there?
If there point is that the nature of human beings hasn't changed in, say, 2,000 years, then that is true. There are no new sins, the old ones including the biggies of pride, greed, lust, and envy are still with us and probably will be until the End. No disagreement there.
On the other hand, the culture has changed. I would submit that, overall, those changes are not for the better. Mr. Robertson is saying so, and he is right. Nor he is the only one saying it.
This area has had problems with morality for a LONG time, but there was a time when people had the decency to be ashamed of wicked behavior. Now we are somehow expected to celebrate it. And that is the change.
Accepting vile and sinful behavior is not A Good Thing as some here seem to be stating. It is a very bad thing, and generally a sign of a society in collapse. Historical examples are not hard to find.
I believe in miracles, and believe that the Lord is always at work. Perhaps a change could come to pass, even here.

40parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

tnmartin...quit putting up Phil Robertson as an authority on morality. You say "...but there was a time when people had the decency to be ashamed of wicked behavior." What "wicked behavior" would that be that is happening today and never happened in this holy past, that you seem to think we had, but never existed? Tell us when, as a "culture" we were better and I'll give you a hundred examples that we weren't. Want to talk abortions, I'll talk slavery, rape, and lynchings. In 1910 we had opium dens all over the country. There is no group of people less moral, today, than Christian Evangelical hillbillies; you have the highest birthrates out of wedlock, the most drug and alcohol abuse, and the lowest intelligence levels. So look in the mirror. You Christian Taliban see things like gay marriage as the end times. For you lunatics, I hope they are. Our culture is more moral than it has ever been. Young people get it; they practice live and let live. Not some fake-dogma from a book that is make believe. Did you look up the history of the Bible? Of course not. Dunning-Kruger Effect, tnmartin.

41parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

42rickking123(292 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlayhenry
Are you taking an intro to psych class at community college? I'm sure you'll pass it after several attempts and an envelope filled with money for the instructor.

Pompous liberal elitists like yourself are pathetic.
Such ignoramuses. If you don't agree with everything they say they attack you on a personal level. You have a chronic and pervasive history of name calling when people point out your stupidity. You've even had comments deleted for violating the Vindy's site policy.

You should follow the Bible admonition and remove the timber from your own eye before pointing out the sliver in someone else's.

Your hate filled attacks are a classic sign of a frustrated life. Your world must be imploding. Did obamacare cancel your little blue pills?

When you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror how's that crack between your two cheeks?

You believe that only your opinion is correct and when others use your own words against you you spew vile and hate.

Ask you a simple question and you become more ellusive than Bill Clinton defining the word "is".

You think you're so cerebral and above everyone else, yet nothing could be further from the truth.

43parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

"Your phony name suits you with your attacks on God and the Bible. I thank Him for the blessings and abundance He has bestowed on me while you wallow in the misery you created for yourself.
Put your phony name to use and double down on your parlay bet against God and the Bible. And then go step in front of a mack truck and see where you end up. If you truly believe in what you say there should be no problem."

Oh my! rickking, how you seem to know the mind and nature of God. It's egregious how you seem to put yourself on His level. Blasphemous, really. You'd better get to your place of worship and start rolling in the aisles...isn't that what you Bible-thumpers do?? Get Phil Robertson to roll with you.

Anyhow, I don't presume to know the nature of God; I'm insignificant in that regard. I, unlike you Biblical brethren who condemn others IN THE NAME OF GOD, know what I don't know. I'm here, that's all I know about God.
Whatever happens after this body's last breath is anybody's guess. I don't presume to know. But I'm sure not afraid. Bring on that bus, rickking! Of course you righteous hypocrites are certain of your reward and just how to get there!!! LOL!
The one thing I do know, is that people deserve to be left alone in their preferences for how they live their lives.
You Evangelical Trash seem to think someone elected you judge and jury of morality. It is the same all through history, hiding behind the Bible while doing despicable acts. Hitler used the Bible as justification to persecute the Jews. And left to people like yourself and Phil Roberstson, the same could happen in a New York minute here, today.
Next time old Phil Robertson is in town ask him about the pseudepigraphical nature of the Biblical writings. The writings you base EVERYTHING on.
rickking, et al, i leave you with today's headline:

In a First, Two Women Tie the Knot in Arkansas
EUREKA SPRINGS, Ark. — Shortly after being issued the state’s first same-sex marriage license, two women were married outside the Carroll County Courthouse in Eureka Springs on Saturday.
I'm sure Jesus is smiling at that!

44handymandave(474 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Phil Robertson was here?

45tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

it would appear to me that reading a week's worth of stories in the Vindicator, and watching this very comment thread, would of itself prove Mr. Robertson's assessment completely.
And the anger and vituperation directed that way as light is shined upon the nest of cockroaches only confirms it.

46parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Hey JS, tnmartin, my old friend rickking and even you,Phil Robertson, here is the grand finale:

“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov

“All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.”
― Edgar Allan Poe

“I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world and do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries”
― Richard Dawkins

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

“If there is a God, atheism must seem to Him as less of an insult than religion.”
― Edmond De Goncourt

“Civilization will not attain to its perfection until the last stone from the last church falls on the last priest.”
― Émile Zola

“Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.”
― Jon Stewart

"Hey Lulubelle, bring that bottle of whiskey over here and let's get it on before my wife gets home."
---Phil Robertson

47BJC(1 comment)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

As a RN for 38 years, this is against nature, if you don't believe in sin. You WILL pay a price. HIV and Hep C is being brought home to married couples by Bi Sexual men. Your anus was not designed for having sexual intercourse, infection, rips, tears, in the tissue is horrific and sets up life threatening infection. If you go against nature you WILL pay the price

48parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

BJC...there isn't much one can say in the face of such ignorance. So, it is bisexual men who bring home all these diseases? Where did you get your RN license? Phil Robertson Nursing College? "... if you don't believe in sin. You WILL pay a price." You and Phil Robertson are God's judges on Earth. I wonder what God thinks of that?
What about when Phil Robertson was out drinking and catting around when he was first married? Did he bring syphilis and gonorrhea home to his wife? That's what all of this is about, the fact that homosexuals are getting the civil rights guaranteed to them by our constitution. The right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."
There was a time in this country, maybe less than 50 years ago, when inter-racial marriage was against the law. And you Evangelical Bible-thumpers were up in arms about that. You see, for you ignoramuses it is all tied together, you hate Obama because a black man has no right to be President and homosexuals are EVIL and have no right to be happy. That is why racists like Phil Robertson says that we are a "sinful" country.
And as far as anal sex is concerned, there are far more heterosexuals having anal sex than there are homosexuals, if that is the litmus test for getting to heaven. BJC you and those like you are the biggest affronts to "nature" on this Earth.

49parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

BJC...your sanctimoniousness reminded me of a joke that ties into this discussion very well. It goes like this:

A newly ordained priest was nervous about hearing his first confessions one Saturday at St. Barnabas Parish. Old Father Murphy, who was leaving for vacation, told him not to worry, that he would do fine. Well the young priest was doing well up until the point one young man said he had committed the sin of "anal sex". Well the young priest thumbed nervously through his book of penance and there was nothing there that could help him. No reference for "anal sex". So he excused himself and left the confessional to collect his thoughts. Two altar boys were standing nearby and asked him if there was anything they could do to help? The young priest, who was deep in thought, absentmindedly said, "You don't happen to know what Father Murphy gives for anal sex?" To which the one altar boy replied, "Usually two Butterfingers and a Baby Ruth!"

50pileated(18 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

BCJ,

Therefore in sheer numbers way more [somewhere in the 50- to 100 million more] straight people are having as YOU claim: "....against nature...anus was not designed for....sexual intercourse..."---than there are gay people let alone any that are having the kind of sex you are obsessed with.

Also Dr. John S. Venglarcik III, medical director of the Mahoning County Health Dept. and TB clinic said to the vindy,

"More human beings have died from tuberculosis than all other infectious causes of death put together."

So your teeth gnashing and hand wringing and finger waving are way off. Try facts over fear, loathing and animus of your neighbors.

51LovinLife(20 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Parlay, I finally get your point:

(1) All Christians are idiots
(2) Obama claims to be Christian

Obama must be an idiot.

Got it.

52Robert_Neville(123 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

parlayhenry, pileated, and LovinLife,

I thought that I lived in America not Russia. When did Communism come to America?

I thought that everyone could have there own opinion but I see if you are not holding the green flag you must be on the other side. Lets talk facts!

pileated commented: A 2006 study by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that "38.2 percent of men between ages 20 and 39 and 32.6 percent of women ages 18 to 44 engage in heterosexual anal sex."

The 2010 answer: An estimated 90% of men who have sex with men and as many as 5% to 10% of sexually active women engage in receptive anal intercourse. This is men on men not men on women. Your numbers are inflated to make it sound like everyone is doing it!

link to answer: http://www.webmd.com/sex/anal-sex-hea...

parlayhenry nice joke but you might want to thank the catholic church for your education. They pushed for education the peasants in the late 1100 century. lets not stop there. LovinLife I did not forget about your comment about All Christians are idiots? nice one, I will have to add that one to the books of Marx but the catholic church educate 12% of the American school age children last year. But President Obama wants them to cut funding and replace it with common core. This will be the stand that President Obama needs to show the world that the religious people in America do have a foot to stand on.

link to answer: http://www.ncea.org/

BJC, I agree with you every foreign Country I have stepped foot on in the last nine years have had a really high infection rate. the fact is it is coming to America and if we have not seen it yet will be here sooner than later.

I will say this the world looks at America and laugh. They talk about how much drug use and the lack of morals the people have. They say we stand for nothing anymore.

Robert Neville

53LovinLife(20 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Robert, Robert, Robert,

I was being sarcastic. I was poking fun at Parlay's lack of logic, summing up his arguments. Definitely not agreeing with him.

Parlay, I hope you find some peace. The OT angry God arguments have been debated (and easily refuted) since the time of Marcion and Irenaeus. For every famous person you quote speaking against Christianity, I can quote several speaking for it.

But one thing is clear...you can't possibly be experiencing true joy in your heart when you write the things you do.

May God truly bless you.

54parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Lovinlife..."Point is, smarter folks than us have debated the same points for years. You simply can't prove or disprove Christianity by intellectual effort alone." No one is trying to "disprove" anything. You have a right to believe, to worship in a way you see fit, to have a special relationship with God. You have that right. But you do not have the right to evangelize, to proselytize, and to condemn others for their lifestyle. And that is what makes you lunatics our Christian Taliban, no better than the Mullahs in the Middle East.
The joy in my heart??? There is an amusement park full of joy in my heart!!! I've had more good fortune and fun in my own life than a man has a right to have. I doubt that God singled me out, above everyone else, for what you would call "blessings". My own personal belief. I don't make the presumptions that you make, but you have the right to be a simpleton. Just keep it to yourself and go about your business, and let other do the same.

55parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Robert_Neville...I think if you look back at ALL the posts I have left, you will see that it all points out the wrongheadedness and hypocrisy of right-wing, Christian, lunatics like Phil Robertson and organized religion, which has done more to divide mankind, in the name of God, no less, than any institution that could be devised by the most wicked of Satan's minions. The Catholic Church cannot balance all the heinous acts it is responsible for over the centuries, especially shielding pedophile priests from justice, by doing some good works.
Religious beliefs more often give a person the green-light to hate, than to love. Look at all the haters on this page...they hate Obama over his skin color, if they are honest, which they certainly are not, they hate the LGBT community, they hate minorities, they want to control women (which is the role of any organized religion, to put women in a subservient role). Jesus must just shake his head and how everything went so wrong. Religion is the best argument for atheism.

56parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Robet-Neville...i only swept over your comment the first time, but now I had to chance to read it through. you are a poster-child for the extreme right, so whatever you say is tainted.
don't hold yourself out to be an "impartial" observer or any judge of modern American society. Your prejudices eliminate any opinion you have as having weight for rational folks. Feel free to preach to the rest of your right-wing, conspiracy-minded, government-hating brethren. Hopefully the NSA has dossiers a mile long on all of you.
Our country is not the "laughingstock" of the world for any of the reasons that you and the rest of your kind think. It's a laughingstock because of the ignorance spewing from right-wing pie-holes. Whether it is about sin, religion, LBGT, climate-change, education, immigration, government, Creationism, science-denial, guns, Obama, Benghazi, the IRS, the right of a woman to choose, and just about anything else of any consequence. Our young people are the best generation this country has ever produced and America is still the greatest power on Earth, despite your protestations. Your problem is that our country is fulfilling its promise of "life, liberty and happiness" for all. The problem for the "patriotic-right" began with the civil rights movement. Your world changed and you can't stand it.
The most hypocritical thing of all with you so-called "patriots" is that you tout "family values". There has never been a First Family in our country's history who has exemplified family values more than Barack and Michelle Obama, and their two girls. And yet, you haters would never admit that.
You and Phil Robertson have medieval minds and would turn our country into 1930's Germany if given a chance. You won't get that chance because you are all mostly old white men who, thank God, are dying off everyday. You also won't get the chance because rational citizens won't condone what you righties represent.
It was too soon for America to elect a black man as President...too much of a shock for you. It brought out all of the lunatics these last 6 years. Now with gay marriage being legalized EVERYWHERE soon, you must be apoplectic.
Sleep well Robert, and for the good of the country, sleep till noon everyday so we don't have to deal with your nonsense as much.

57cambridge(3013 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

parlayhenry.....you are truly a breath of fresh air, thanks for the posts.

58LovinLife(20 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

parlay

You are an interesting dude.

1) I "do not have the right to evangelize"? Holy crap, when did they kill the 1st amendment? I must have missed that. Of course I have a right to evangelize, just as you have the right to spew venom and hatred. Help me understand in what sense we do not have this right.

2) I don't have the right to "condemn others for their lifestyle"? Why do you have that right and we don't? In what sense is the place where you draw a moral line in the sand more valid than ours?

3) I'm confused...is Obama super-intelligent (your words) or a Christian "simpleton" (your word) like me?

4) Are you sure your "amusement park of joy" isn't nothing more than a bit of gas?

You seem somewhat intelligent, but your struggles with basic logic and your hostility and name calling are baffling and render any type of debate useless.

Like it or not, I'll be praying for you brother. And defending your same rights that you want to deny to us. I'm off to spend my time doing something useful, like evangelizing.

59Dana(1 comment)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Went to see Phil in Youngstown. Got there late and the service had already started. All the security people thought that I was Phil and so did a lot of other people. Sorry I didn't get to hear Phil's speech but I did get to listen to it on the website. I really did want to meet Phil but with all of the chaos of people thinking I was Phil they made us leave. One day I hope to meet Phil and the rest of the family!

60parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

LovinLife...instead of praying, I think your time would be better spent taking a good, long, course in reading comprehension. Maybe they might offer that at a vacation Bible-school near you this summer? Or maybe you should have your trailer checked for a propane leak, because boy, you ain't right.

But LovinLife, keep on hating; Obama, gays, women, minorities, immigrants...you know, the "sinners" your Bible tells you to hate. It's in your God's name, so it's all good.

They say we all have a moment of perfect consciousness on our deathbeds. One can only hope that is the case for Phil Roberston and all of you "good" Christians. The revelation of everything you had wrong will be terrifying as you draw your last breath.

“Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man ... living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you, and he needs money.”

61parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

“Religion is like a pair of shoes.....Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes.”
― George Carlin

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

62pileated(18 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

“Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there
be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of
blindfolded fear.” – Thomas Jefferson

“Religions are all alike – founded upon fables and mythologies.” –
Thomas Jefferson

“History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
maintaining a free civil government.” – Thomas Jefferson

“In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the
liberties of the people.” – James Madison

“The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.” – John Adams

“Lighthouses are more helpful than churches.” – Benjamin Franklin

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the Common Law." --Thomas Jefferson

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as
false, and by the rulers as useful.” ---- Seneca.

63parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

You know, pileated, many of your quotes are from the Founders of this country; Jefferson, Adams, Madison and Franklin. The quotes show that our Founders were decidedly AGAINST the United States having any relationship at all with Christianity. AND YET, these Bible-thumping-Evangelical-Tea-Party-Right-Wing lunatics, with Phil Robertson at their head, INSIST, that the Founders structured our democracy as a fundamentalist Christian Nation. Evidence be damned!

― Albert Einstein

64tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

actually, the quote ascribed to A. Einstein above is just a bit "doctored". It actually goes:
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"
which is not quite the same thing, is it?
It appears that we have some deceit going on here.
Similar things might be said of some of the previous citations and deliberate mis-characterizations. The Founders were strongly opposed to a nationally "established" religious test. Nationally. But were you also aware that at the time of the adoption of the Constitution, MOST of the individual states did in fact have "established church denominations, a practice that lasted well into the 19th century? The Founders had no problem with that. And, if I might opine, if it was Constitutional then, it is Constitutional now - the document hasn't changed despite the idiot opinions of some judges. (note that I am not in support of such a practice, I think it's a bad idea. But the number of bad ideas ensconced in law is very high.).
It's not hard, if one wishes to do so, to find a whole raft of quotes that show some of the statements on this whole thread to be either grossly out of context, or outright fabrications.
Mr. Robertson used the term "sinful nation". It would appear from all that is going on around here that he was being far too kind.

I think some of the articles in the Vindy just in the last few days prove Mr. Robertson's points quite adequately.

65walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

tnmartin,
You are correct on those points. But, since others feel the need to post quotes, I will follow up on them.

"Ezekiel 25:17 - The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he that shepherds the weak from the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

-As quoted by Jules "bad m****rf****r" Winnfield

66L0L(660 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

All while eating a Royale with cheese.......

67cambridge(3013 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

I'm pretty sure it was a "Big Kahuna Burger". "Damn good burger".

68LovinLife(20 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Parlay, if you are capable of having a conversation without bigotry, hate speech, stereotyping, and personal attacks on someone you know nothing about, then I challenge you to go back and answer the questions I asked without any of that. Otherwise, I wish you all the best, but you offer nothing of further interest.

69RustOnMyBelt(114 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

I'm beginning to get the picture now....had it been a "gay pride" conference most of the haters here would be happy as rainbows and anyone speaking AGAINST it being held or against what was said there would be the "bigot"....so right is now wrong.

70walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Cambridge,
Yes, a Big Kahuna Burger! Cheeseburgers - The cornerstone of any good breakfast.

71parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Hey walter, you want a toe?? Because i can get you a toe!

Anyhow, walt and tnmartin and livinlife, Einstein was correct in his assertion that “Two things are infinite: the universe and right-wing, Evangelical stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” You proved his theory!

My posts are "for amusement only"; MY OWN. A very old and wise black woman once told me, "You have to realize and recognize what you're dealing with." I do.

Anyhow, to you, rustonmybelt (and from the looks of things, between your ears as well), your analogy doesn't work. The LGBT community wanting to be thought of as equal participants in our democracy and calling those who are against the LGBT community being able to fully exercise their rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit if happiness" BIGOTS, is not the same as having all the Bible-thumpers listen to Phil spewing his garbage about this "sinful nation" and trying to squash the LGBT rights. That is bigotry.

Here's what I don't get; exactly what will happen if gays are allowed to marry? Why do you holy-rollers act like marriage is so "sacred" that it is only between a man and woman? If marriage is sacred, why do we allow divorce? Why aren't you good Christians out beating the drum to make divorce illegal. Maybe that would make heterosexuals and gays think twice before getting married. Why don't you outlaw out-of-wedlock births? (if you did, your Christian, hillbilly, brethren might disappear overnight! LOL!!! now that line amused me!!)

You know more than 50% of marriages end in divorce, and it is even higher in the Evangelical Christian community. So is out-of-wedlock births, drinking, drug-use and adultery. If marriage is sacred, why wasn't Phil Robertson stoned by a mob for carousing with other women when he was first married? After all, that's what the Bible says to do! So a man marries a man or a woman marries a woman. They adopt or have kids. So what???!!! Over 50% of children are raised by one parent in heterosexual relationships; don't you think TWO parents, in a stable relationship is best??!! Of course not!! Because you're haters. You have no sense. You thrive on hate and hide behind a Bible.

As for TNmartin, the Evangelical Constitutional lawyer, trying to pull something right out of Orwell's "1984" and rewrite history, our founders were not religious. The historical record shows their distaste for Christianity. We are a "democracy", not a "theocracy". You can rationalize all you want, it isn't going to make it so. Maybe you have the same problem that lovinlife has, reading comprehension. Check out the vacation Bible schools in the area and maybe you can take a class this summer.
See you after Labor Day, haters! Maybe we can have a battle of wits then, because right now, I am fighting an unarmed opponent.

72parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Here's more of your right-wing bombast. Honest to God, you lunatics would have been right at home, marching in your uniforms, Bibles in hand, in 1930's Germany:

"Public Schools in the Crosshairs: Far-Right Propaganda and the Common Core State Standards"

"Across the United States, a fierce wave of resistance is engulfing the Common Core State Standards, threatening to derail this ambitious effort to lift student achievement and, more fundamentally, to undermine the very idea of public education."

"Developed by the National Governors Association and an association of state school superintendents, the standards were conceived as a way to promote U.S. competitiveness, increase educational equity, and resolve problems created by the No Child Left Behind Act.

Now being implemented in 44 states, the standards do not mandate the use of any particular book or course of study. Instead, they identify the literacy and math skills that children in every public school should master at each grade level. "

"But to the most extreme critics of the Common Core, the standards are something quite different—a plan to indoctrinate young children into “the homosexual lifestyle,” a conspiracy to turn children into “green serfs” who will serve a totalitarian “New World Order.” The Florida Stop Common Core Coalition (Facebook)

"To the propaganda machine on the right, the Common Core—an effort driven by the states—is actually “Obamacore,” a nefarious federal plot to wrest control of education from local school systems and parents. Instead of the “death panels” of “Obamacare,” the fear is now “government indoctrination camps.”

Me again. How can we discuss anything? Oh my. The only thing to do is vote every Republican candidate out of office, down to dog-catcher. As the song goes, "See you in September"

73Truth4Life(33 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

LOL! Right winger again loves to engage in holier-than-thou Bible thumping but forgets that his own Holy Book demands, "judge not lest ye be judged".

74tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

friend "parlay", I think you might want to cite a more reliable and truthful source of information than the commie lunatics of the Southern Poverty Law Center, or groups that are foolish enough to trust them. They are further proof that we may have closed operations like Woodside -- or Lima State Hospital for the Insane -- just a bit prematurely.
They're rather famous for fact-free bombast and propaganda. If you prefer the shorter term "lies", you might not be too far off.

and to our other deluded friend, the verse cited (Matthew 7:1) is generally regarded as the one most misused in the entire Bible, generally by those not known for accurate exegesis. If you prefer to eat steak rather than cow plop, you've not only "judged", but you've "discriminated" as well. Don't think you should feel guilty in either event. And if you have opposed wife-beating or arson, you've also "judged". Correctly, I think. Opposing homosexual fantasies comes under the heading of "discernment". Look it up, they've got dictionaries down at the library and nice people to help you.

75parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

So tnmartin, you BELIEVE the Bible, which can't be cross-referenced or fact-checked to any degree of accuracy, but you DON'T BELIEVE the Southern Poverty Law Center, which, in the digital age, can be fact-checked in an instant? Of course you do! You prove the point of this entire exercise.

Like i said, I enjoy a battle of wits, but, tnmartin, to use a right-wing saying, "you ain't packin". This summer, take that course on reading comprehension and check your trailer for a propane leak while you're at it. Also stay out of the hot sun. Wear a hat. You have too many deficits already.

'My concern with religion is that it allows us, by the millions, to believe what only lunatics or idiots could believe on their own."

Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of *you*.

76parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

Scholars studying the evolution of religious doctrines have learned that important ideas of major religions have been introduced in response to the political requirements of some historical situation — even though Jesus received a Roman punishment (crucifixion), it would not have been a bright idea, in a Rome-dominated world, to pinpoint the Romans as responsible, and the problem was resolved by finding a way to cast blame on the Jews (preparing the way for centuries of prejudice and hostility).

Further still, religions today adapt their doctrines so as to recruit particular types of people as converts — proselytizers often target people who have just moved to unfamiliar surroundings and who lack close friends (to cite just one example). The historical route to contemporary religious doctrines is full of transitions that have very little to do with the identification of truth. If you’re concerned to believe what is true, you should find all of these doctrines incredible.

There is more to religion than accepting as literally true doctrines that are literally false. Humanists think the important achievements of religions at their best — fostering community, articulating and supporting values — should be preserved in fashioning a fully secular world. That secular world ought to emerge from a dialogue between humanism and refined religion, one in which religion isn’t thrown on the rubbish heap but quietly metamorphoses into something else.

From: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/...

77tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

re SPLC: I have in the not-too-distant past done a fair amount of business in and around Montgomery, Alabama which is where Morris Dees has set up his loathsome crew of the SPLC. If anything, my characterization of them is too kind, unless they've changed their ways in the last two or three years. Which seems unlikely.
If it pleases you to believe their ravings, be my guest. The Bible contains a passage about a dog returning to its own vomit, and from time to time we see examples of that.
And we also, as here, see examples of the observations that there are those who prefer to believe a lie, rather than an uncomfortable truth. That should move us to pity, but it points out, again, the truth of Mr. Robertson's observations. If there is any place on earth that bears out the remark that America is a sinful nation, you can see it in the Valley..

78parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months, 1 week ago

tnmartin...so, you never fact-checked the SPLC about they're reporting on the lunatic right and Common Core? Of course not! Why let facts bother you when you have the Bible?!

Morris Dees is "loathsome" and Phil Robertson is virtuous? It explains why you hate Obama, his family, gays, women, immigrants, science, teachers, on and on and on...You are pretty messed up.

Do you spend your life alone? I can't imagine anyone wanting to be associated with such a misguided soul who thinks he has it all figured out. Dunning-Kruger Effect, I guess?

Do you realize that your inane posts, devoid of any pronouncements that a person could call logical, rational or a part of reality, defines who you are? Of course not. You inhabit the realm of the Robertson's. I sure hope the NSA is monitoring this page, because they have a "live" one on their hands in tnmartin.

Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of *you*

79tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months ago

someone needs to reduce the number of unwarranted assumptions. I was born here, have lived most of my life here, went to YSU before Tressel, (and can barely remember when the "S" was added). I was married here, saw both my children born and christened here. My parents, grandparents, and most aunts and uncles are buried here. I can even recall Esther Hamilton in the days she lived at the old Ohio Hotel and wrote dreadful pieces for the Vindy. I was here the day the radio started blaring the message for people to come to the mills and clean out their lockers as part of the sudden closing. I've even been to Cal's in Campbell, which was not an advertised tourist stop, I can even remember when Mayor Jack Hunter used to be a frequent guest on Dan's radio talk show. OK?
The occasionally unusual nature of my work has often required me to be away from the area, sometimes overnight, sometimes for a year or more. It has allowed me to see that no, things are NOT done everywhere the way they are here. So don't give the malarky about outsiders.
The determination to remain a "safe" Democrat location has been good for no one. There are some good people in the party. There are also a number of thieves and creeps, and a fair number who turn a blind eye and pretend otherwise. And most people know it. Fact is, with a one-party system, there is no meaningful system of checks and balances, and no expectation of civic virtue. And we all know it. What's sad is that people have come to expect that local officials will either be creeps and thieves, or give a pass to those who are even if they are honest.
My remarks about the SPLC stand. They were, if anything, too kind.
If you don't like Mr. Robertson, his family, or his message, you have every right to do so. You also have a right to be wrong, and you are.

80parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

Did you ever stop to ask yourself how Germany, as a nation, descended into madness in the 1930's? Did you ever ask yourself how the German people decided that certain people were "Untermenschen", subhumans, not deserving of any rights or, finally, of living at all? If future historians want insight into the causes of the horror that was Nazi Germany; if they want to know how a nation can turn on its neighbors, on its own citizens, all they need to do is read the story above and follow this comment stream. The lunatics on this page, if given the chance, would persecute all of the Untermenschen they could get their hands on. The LGBT community, blacks, Hispanics, Jews, illegal immigrants, women on contraception, any and all of those folks that the right-wing extremists would judge as "sinners". Our Christian Taliban, with madmen like Phil Robertson, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann or Ted Cruz to lead them, would "purify" this country of all those who didn't strictly conform to the Christian Right's views on morality. Bibles in hand, they would purge in the name of an all-loving God. You see, when you purge in the name of God, your hands always feel clean, even if you kill women and children. Look at Germany in the 1930's and 1940's. Or just read the above comments.
Isn't that a hilarious contradiction, "the Christian Right's views on morality", sort of like jumbo-shrimp?

81Knightcap(699 comments)posted 4 months ago

You sound like the person who cut off the head of John the Baptist for speaking out against sin . He was kinda scruffy looking too. Hatred goes both ways.

82parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

The purpose of Phil Robertson coming to town. Teaching hate. Of course, the "good Christians" who hold him up as righteous, already know how to hate and have taught their children.

PS, knightcap, your analogy doesn't work, in case you were wondering. Try again. Maybe have someone help you.

83tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months ago

sigh. If I see someone about to walk in front of a moving bus,and warn him that he's about to become part of the landscape, that's not 'HATE". It may be just decent behavior.
Warning someone that his behavior is likely - or certain - to lead to awful results is,again, not hate. It's basic decency
It does not take great powers of observation to note that a lot of the behaviors we see all around us, all too often celebrated, lead to awful results, pain, misery, and too often death. Read the paper, for pity sake! You think the horrid rates of alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, single-parent families, liquor based fatal wrecks, bar fights that turn deadly, embezzlement, and on and on are GOOD things? We need not look too far to see the situation.
Behaviors that would have been, in an earlier time, discouraged by the overall moral tone of the society are now, we hear, to be promoted, not merely tolerated.
"Sinful nation"? You better believe it!
And while we're at it, the little ditty quoted above is catchy. But "it ain't necessarily so", to quote another little ditty. People are NOT naturally nice, kind, well-behaved. Any mother of a 2-year-old can attest to that. Some people just never get out of the "terrible two's", and expect the rest of us to nod approvingly. Not happening.

84parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

tnmartin..." Some people just never get out of the "terrible two's", and expect the rest of us to nod approvingly. Not happening." You REALLY made me laugh at that one!! No one is looking for your "approval". Gawd!!! I could take your "approval" and $4.50 to Starbucks and get a Vente Latte.
The worst "behaviors" of mankind originate with religious zealotry, like what we saw at the Covelli Center.

But, tnmartin, it is a circular argument with you. I'll repeat the same remarks that i have said in past posts:

Did God make you and Phil His judges on Earth, to decide what is sinful and what isn't?

Are you and Phil without sinful behavior?

When, on God's Green Earth, were Americans more virtuous? When we enslaved others for our benefit? When we rounded up the indigenous tribes, killed women and children and stole their land? When we punished every immigrant who ever came over at any time, the Irish, the Italians, Hispanics, in turn. When we relegated women to second class citizens?

When were alcohol or drugs less of a problem? Opium used to be legal and alcohol was always a problem. Why do you think they had Prohibition?

Plus, when did the Christian-Right hate less? If you weren't burning people as "witches" you were lynching black people.

Your problem, and Phil's, is that the genie is out of the bottle. Your way of life is ending. Religion is being seen for what it is; at its best a guide to treat one another as we would want to be treated, with tolerance and respect; and at its worst, what you and Robertson are selling, exclusion and hate for those you consider "subhuman" sinners.

The young people today are too smart for the hocus-pocus you righteous Christians are selling with your Bibles. The young people of today believe in facts; physics, math, science, the digital age, technology.

Which, by the way, does not mean they don't believe in God. They just are not dumb enough to fall for some cobbled together, revised to fit the message, book of propaganda like the Bible, used with all the wrong intentions by the religious establishment. They can smell hypocrisy a mile away.

here's the headlines, bro. Read'em and weep:

Federal Judge Strikes Down Oregon’s Ban on Same-Sex Marriage, MAY 19, 2014

Ellis: "...you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity."
No Country for Old Men (2007)

85tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months ago

one gets the distinct impression in all of this that the real problem here is the concept of "sin". Some prefer to deny the reality of it. That sort of belief normally leads to bad results. Have seen some up close.
It was, I believe, that late and unlamented Anton LaVey who stated his belief as being , "do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law". That was around the time he was establishing the operation called the First Church of Satan. Clearly, there has been some spillover of that attitude to those who are unaware of the origins of that philosophy. That philosophy, by the way, is a lot older than Mr. LaVey.
==
just as an aside, that judge in Oregon who pulled the ruling re same-sex "marriage" out of his, uh, "fundament", is also an openly practicing homosexual. One who believes his own personal fantasies and perversions outweigh all else. Fire the bum.

86tnmartin(234 comments)posted 4 months ago

@kurtw no problem. I *was* born in Columbiana county, which is south of Mahoning, so perhaps that counts (grin) though have lived in Mahoning and Trumbull counties most of my life.
Seriously, though, what I said holds. Things really are done differently elsewhere. Yes, everywhere has its own unique flavors and ways. Try to find piroghi in Tulsa or Detroit or Denver or Dallas. Ain't likely to happen. But some of the customs and attitudes here are damaging the area and the people in it and have been for a good 50 years or more.
Bad behavior happens everywhere. What began this whole exchange is Mr. Robertson's calling down America for having abandoned our moral roots. And, sorry, but he's right. And we don't have to look to far to see examples of it. I don't like it, and certainly have no excuse for a "holier than thou" attitude. Where this path leads is not a good place, not for us or for our children or for our neighborhoods. Time to change direction.
And I bid adieu, but I have an early morning trip. Don't forget what Memorial Day is all about - it's not a sale or a picnic.

87parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

tnmartin...you really, really should see if some Vacation Bible School near you has a course in reading comprehension. You have a major deficit there. Your replies are mystifying.

Anyhow, more bad news today on the "sinner" front:

"Judge Strikes Down Pennsylvania’s Gay-Marriage Ban"

Oh my!!! Better call Phil Robertson and start rounding up the children to protect them from turning gay!!! LOL!!!

88parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

kurtw..."The Holocaust started with euthanasia- the "merciful" killing of the feeble minded, the socially misfit, the crippled.."
Please kurtw, step away from the keyboard and stop writing. In all the comments I have ever read, since the dawn of the Internet, that is the most misinformed. Wow.

89parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

To all of you Evangelical-Proselytizing-Bible-Thumping-White-Phil Roberston-Wannabees out there, here is the real reason that you think our nation is becoming a nation of "sinners":

The census findings that show that whites will be in the minority in the United States by 2042.

That says it all, the rest is a smokescreen. The election of Obama was the wake-up call; that's why all you "good-Christians" hate him. All this change, women in the workplace, illegal immigrants, contraception, a back man as President, and now gay marriage!!! Suppress the vote!! Rally round the Bible!!! Call Phil Robertson!!

No matter what you do, white Bible-thumpers, your days are done.

90parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

kurtw...I have a question for you, since you are an anti-abortion, anti-euthanasia zealot:

You and your kind are so concerned about God's Will and the sanctity of life, but what about God's Will at the end of life?

Why, when a person stops breathing or their heart stops, do we try to resuscitate them?
It seems to me that your God is calling them back to Him, why do you think it is fit to interfere in God's plans?

I don't see you zealots marching around hospitals and following ambulances to make sure that we humans don't usurp your God's authority by using equipment and medicine to bring a person back to life when God has called them.

Why the entire concept is blasphemy!! Something right out of Mary Shelley's, Frankenstein!! Bringing the dead back to life!! Oh the horror!! Only God can determine matters of life and death, after all.

Only Jesus rose from the dead and now there are millions more that we humans have "raised from the dead" by interfering with God's Will. He called the person to Him and we brought that person right back to us. Like a yo-yo!! In fact, there's that movie out now about the little boy who saw heaven...and the doctors brought him back to Earth...how angry do you think that made God? I shudder to think about it!!

It is surprising that your God hasn't struck us all down for having the effrontery to think that WE have the power of life and death.

I only ask these questions because I am concerned for your souls!!

PS, I can't wait to see the replies. Gawd almighty they'll be funny!!

91parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

and kurtw...PLEASE stop writing your nonsense about the Holocaust arising from euthanasia in 1930's Germany...it is so amazingly off-base that you should hang your head in shame. Stupidity is no excuse for comments like that. Quit reading all that "right-to-life" propaganda.

Didn't you ever hear of "anti-Semitism"? Hitler was a virulent anti-Semite. Anti-Semitism was rampant in Europe for since the Crusades, even in countries today--our own, in fact. THAT is what caused the Holocaust, hate for the Jews, similar to the hate spewed from guys like Phil Robertson, not euthanasia gone wild. Look up the word "pogrom" sometime.

kurtw...Your ignorance is insulting.

92parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

hey kurtw...just when I thought you couldn't top comments #106 and #109, you write #111. Please, open some windows in your trailer, you must have a propane leak to write such unabashed drivel. I've never read anything, anywhere, on any topic, as stupid and ignorant as those posts. Gawd.

93parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

kurt w...contraception is medical science; surgical abortion is medical science; euthanasia is medical science. Your point is, then?

In a battle wits, it is unconscionable to fight an unarmed opponent. So I am mercifully gong to bed to leave you to find a logic-weapon.

94parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

kurtw...

"situational ethics" led to the Holocaust???!!!

it was a "slippery slope" from euthanasia to killing millions of Jews???!!! That's not a slope, that's a cliff.

I'm saving your comments. I have to, because no one will believe it if I told them.

Carson Wells: Do you have any idea how crazy you are?
Anton Chigurh: You mean the nature of this conversation?
Carson Wells: I mean the nature of *you*

95parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

If God Had Wanted Me To Be Accepting Of Gays, He Would Have Given Me The Warmth And Compassion To Do So
COMMENTARY
By Phil Robertson

I don't question God. The Lord is my Shepherd and I shall put none above Him. Which is why I know that if it were part of God's plan for me to stop viciously condemning others based solely on their sexual preference, He would have seen fit—in His infinite wisdom and all—to have given me the tiniest bit of human empathy necessary to do so.

It's a simple matter of logic, really. God made me who I am, and who I am is a cold, anti-gay zealot. Thus, I abhor gay people because God made me that way. Why is that so hard to understand?

Compassion, tolerance, understanding, basic decency, the ability to put myself in another person's position: God could have endowed me with any of those traits and yet—here is the crucial part—He didn't. Why? Because the Creator of the Universe wants me to demonize homosexuals in an effort to strip them of their fundamental human rights.

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to lead a good Christian life. That means going to church on Sunday, following the Ten Commandments, and fighting what I believe to be a sexual abomination through a series of petty actions and bitter comments made under my breath. Sure, I sometimes wish God would just reach into my heart and give me the ability to treat all people with, at the very least, the decency and respect they deserve as human beings. But unfortunately for that new couple who moved in three houses down, He hasn't yet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have God's work to do.

96parlayhenry(219 comments)posted 4 months ago

Poll: 56% Of Voters Say Country Better Off Than It Was 4 Eons Ago

WASHINGTON—With many respondents saying the country has made notable strides during that time, a poll published Wednesday by the Pew Research Center revealed that over half of American voters believe the United States is better off now than it was four eons ago. “Obviously things aren’t perfect, but on the whole I’m pleased with our breathable atmosphere and the lack of massive asteroid impacts, which is something you couldn’t say a few eons back,” poll respondent David Freeman told reporters, noting that while the economy could be stronger, he thinks America has moved forward since existing as the roiling mass of molten stone it was just a few billion years ago. “We’ve still got a long way to go, but it’s easy to take for granted that we live in a nation where organic molecules are plentiful and water is a substance that exists. All things considered, I think we’re doing okay.” The poll found, however, that more than 4 in 10 voters feel the U.S. is considerably worse off than it was four eons ago and called for a return to the country’s 450-degree Fahrenheit roots.

97GTX66(343 comments)posted 4 months ago

About 95% of all of the responses prove his point.

98Silence_Dogood(1342 comments)posted 3 months, 4 weeks ago

Substitute Jew for Evangelical and I think you can figure out who the modern day Nazi is.

99tnmartin(234 comments)posted 3 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually, billdog, a *great* deal of what "parly" is ascribing to Mr. Robertson is made up out of his own sordid imagination. Robertson has actually done a creditable job of telling the truth, and the one statement he made that caused such upset was pretty much word for word out of the Bible. Truth hurts, evidently.