‘Duck Dynasty’ star bashes US as sinful nation at men’s rally

Published: Sun, May 4, 2014 @ 12:10 a.m.

By Sean Barron

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

For Julie Johnson and her son, Hayden Johnson, seeing Phil Robertson, the star of the popular A&E reality show “Duck Dynasty,” was uplifting — though perhaps not in the usual ways.

“I’m so lucky to have all my friends and family,” the 13-year-old Salem boy said. “I just want to say, ‘Thank you.’”

When he was 15 months old, Hayden was diagnosed with a brain tumor, something he fought for about eight years. These days, he’s doing well, he said.

Mother and son expressed gratitude to Robertson and his family for having prayed for Hayden during Saturday’s Men’s Rally in the Valley 2014 at the Covelli Centre downtown.

Robertson was the main draw for the seven-hour gathering, in its fifth year, which combines religious messages, music and workshops. Its theme was “No Compromise … No Retreat … Standing on the Truth,” taken from the biblical Book of Daniel.

Between 4,500 and 5,000 people attended the indoor event, which was fashioned after the “Promise Keepers” gatherings and featured six main speakers. It also sought to bring together men for fellowship, prayer and worship while allowing them to more fully realize and appreciate their importance in the church, family and community, noted Walter “Bing” Newton, event organizer.

More than 20 men were baptized during the event, said Newton, a former Salem High School teacher and track coach.

In his presentation, “No Compromise, No Retreat,” Robertson denounced what he sees as the hypocrisy between many courthouses across the nation removing the Ten Commandments yet having to deal with those who break them. Nearly all defendants who appear in court are there because they stole, committed murder and other violations of the commandments, he explained.

“What in the world has happened to the United States of America? It is pitiful!” shouted Robertson, the family patriarch who founded Duck Commander Co.

Late last year, Robertson came under fire for comments he made in a GQ magazine article in which he called homosexuality a sin and compared it to bestiality, something that angered many in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and others, and resulted in his temporary suspension from the show.

During the same interview, Robertson also offended many blacks by saying that he never saw any black people mistreated while growing up in Louisiana before the modern civil-rights movement in the Jim Crow South.

The reality-show star said several times during his talk at the rally that the country has “a sin problem” and that committing sinful acts inevitably separates people from God. Those who accept Jesus Christ aren’t immune from wrongdoing, but are cleansed and will be right with God, he contended.

Introducing Robertson was his eldest son, the Rev. Alan Robertson, who warmed up the crowd by making self-effacing jokes about how he’s the only sibling without a beard.

Many attendees wore T-shirts that read “Happy, Happy, Happy,” after Robertson’s autobiography, “Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander.” Others huddled in small prayer groups during breaks between presentations.

Providing much of the music was a 300-member choir from the Men of Faith group.

The rally also featured an estimated 60 ministry tables at which were representatives from the Art of Marriage, Ohio Valley Teen Challenge, Victory Christian School, Heroes & Halos, 95.5 The Fish, a Cleveland Christian radio station, and other entities.

Many men partook of merchandise for sale such as religious-themed books, compact discs and T-shirts, Bibles, small crosses and coffee mugs. Also available were numerous copies of the 1962 bestseller, “The Cross & the Switchblade,” a true story by David Wilkerson, a pastor, about his years ministering to New York City street gangs.

Newton, the event’s coordinator, said he was pleased with how the rally has impacted participants and attendees. “If God is going to release these men upon the Valley, they’re going to make a difference,” he added.

Comments

1michael1757(291 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

For robertson,& the rest of the idiots that think this place is pitiful,would you please do me a favor & GET the F&*K outta here then!!!!!!! I'm a vet & "I", gave you the right to say that,& if you'd kindly heed my advice,I wish you'd leave!

2questionreality(363 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Yo, Phil! Why did Jesus not tell his disciples and through them the world: "You shall not burn, imprison and torture in my name. You shall not persecute your fellow men."

3HSG(139 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Einstein, disguised as robin hood, and his friend, a jealous monk, passed this way an hour ago with his memories in a trunk.

You may not think to look at him, hut he was famous long ago
For playing the electric violin on Desolation Row.

"Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan 1965

4bunkpatrol(113 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

If these men were truly righteous and not so self righteous, they'd go on tour of their own CHARITY and SACRIFICE and leave the trinket peddling to the rest of the snake oil salespeople of the world.

Same with the attendees. How about actually doing what you say Jesus did instead of buying t-shirts proclaiming how holy you are.

5LovinLife(20 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow Boardman Jeff...not a tough decision figuring out which one of you I'd rather have as a neighbor.

Thanks for being honest and showing the true, wonderful tolerance of the left.

6rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

The sad comments on this story. By people who spew hate snd hide behind phony names.

7gregoryfilms(13 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hard to believe all the hatred displayed here. A group of men decide to get together to pray, worship God, become better men, better fathers, better husbands...and all in the name of love. All I read here is such hatred from people who disagree. I guess tolerance is only available for those you agree with???
Phil Robertson said he loves everyone because God loves everyone. He said he agrees with what God says about homosexuality and sinful lifestyles. Not once did he say he hates gay people.
In response to a message of love and salvation, here's the responses (and I quote)....

"I'll make sure to urinate on his Christ-Fil-A tenders before he leaves town, and maybe stick my boot so far up his rear that he'll know what snakeskin tastes like !"
---Boardman_Jeff
"Bring them to the gas chambers and ovens."
---Knightcap
"Phil Robertson = Ignoramus / Bigot"
---willinnyny

Shows you who the REAL haters are, doesn't it? I'm proud of the Men Of Faith group, all the brave guys who were there, and proud to be a Christian with them all.

8gregoryfilms(13 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

By the way...America IS a sinful nation that has turned it's back on God.

9SailsRC(2 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow, the truth stirs the pot! Apostle Paul says it best "But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants for Jesus’ sake. For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (II Corinthians 4:3-6 NKJV)"

10mrgibson(125 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

You really have to love the tolerant left.
They remind me of the "kill em all old testament God "
Agree with us,believe as we do or we will attack you,insult you and call you vile names.

They have to take the low road because they can't defend their posistions in a rational debate.
Amazing how they spew their hate of relegion yet differ very little from the old testament God.

As far as Robertson is concerned he's entitled to his opinion and right to express it.
I don't agree with most of what he says but that's my right as well.

Jesus tells us all not to judge,persecute or hate.
Mind your own business,live and let live is the messege I get from the New Testament.

Both sides have their share of phonies like the groups selling trinkets,t-shirts,baseball caps ect as well as the different churches promoting themselves at the ralley.
Looks a lot like the money changers in the temple doesn't it.

This event was suppose to be about Jesus and living a more rightous life as a man,husband,father but as in any group some will always put the love of money and self promotion above all else.

These churches all know a larger membership means more money.
I wonder how much "Old Bing" made allowing the vendors and churchs to set up shop in his event ?

Scribes,pharisees,left wing haters all one and the same

11SailsRC(2 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hard to believe but obviously a person can be so ignorant that they do not even realize they are proving it in writing.., Amazing! Dust off your feet Christians.

12stan_smagala(56 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I have no horse in the race and don't know much about the guy, but the hatred, anger and name-calling from those opposed to him is telling. I certainly don't want to be like them.

13DwightK(1300 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

President Josiah Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you?

14Notorious_Pig(117 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Look, I don't love or hate Phil Robertson, but let's face it. If people in this world are looking at him as "someone to follow or someone to model their lives after", then yes, we are in trouble. On the same hand, if people are looking at some liberal icons to model their lives after, then again, we are in trouble. I don't see the point in arguing politics here because it is funny to see one person spewing their hatred for one person and another defending the hated person. Pick other people to model your lives after because believe me, if you think Phil Robertson is anyone to model your lives or match views with, then you are very sad. Their show is pure entertainment. It's made for laughs. It's staged. It's scripted. Just like his speeches, comments, interviews, etc. It's not "off the top of the head stuff". Move on.

15eevo(51 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Just remember, you are not a racist as long as you like one black person. Carson/Rice 2016.

16JoMarko(58 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm heartened that so many from this community reject the Duck Dynasty's Christian Taliban vision.

17gregoryfilms(13 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Just sitting here smiling and waiting for Boardman_Jeff to run me and my kind out of "his" valley ( I never knew! I wonder when he bought it?)....now that he's "served me notice" and all......
It's ok Jeff, I still say I'll pray for you and show you the love and tolerance that you refuse to show Christians. I'll even welcome the chance to sit and talk with you if you like. My real name is Tom Gregory. I truly pray you have a nice day and that God gets through to you someday before it's too late.
Peace.

18Notorious_Pig(117 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Eivo, if you read my entire post, being that I DO have a choice OTHER THAN Robertson OR Obama...I have LOTS of people to listen to....and Our Lieing President is a douche, Phil Robertson is a douche, and I guarantee the Mens Rally in the Valley won't reserve a douce like Robertson for next years keynote speaker.

19JoMarko(58 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Golly eieio, neither Family Member nor Boardman mentioned race let alone played the RACEcard.

20southsidedave(4840 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

It is easy to spew hatred and negativity when the Big Networks are paying you MILLIONS of $$$$...and the race card you can keep until we are all leave the planet...then we will all be equal.

21tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Evidently, the truth hurts. It's said that it takes someone from the outside to come in and tell the unvarnished truth. Many people around here have had little experience with it. Long overdue.

22rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey Palayhenry
Let's change your question.
if your life was on the line in Benghazi who would you want?

Robertson was a better quarterback than Terry Bradshaw in college but decided not to pursue an NFL career. So instead he ended up founding a pretty successful business doing something he enjoyed.

Now tell me other than feeding at the public trough what has Obama done? Or in other words tell me Obama's accomplishments before his life in politics.

23rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlay
and I knew my question would bring out the lunatic in you and it did as evidenced by your going off the deep end.

but you never did answer my question about obama's accomplishments. Those should be public record so I'll wait for your response.

24rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlay

Nonresponsive answer. I asked his accomplishments before his political life.

You go off the deep end spouting all manner of vitriol about me even though you don't know me at all. That speaks volumes about the caliber of person that you are.

25rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not the one that spouted the outrageous nonsense.
You still never answered my question. PRIOR to his life in politics what are his accomplishments?

You denigrate Robertson yet he's created more jobs than Obama. You see politicians don't create jobs.

Take Obama off his teleprompter and he'll tell you that he's been to all 57 states.

The way that people like you fawn all over Obama is what cracks me up.

It's a great accomplishment that Obama gets elected to the Presidency twice, however George Bush does the exact same thing and you say he's as dumb as a brick. I guess it's not that great an accomplishment after all.

He's given the Nobel Peace Prize for what? Because he wasn't George Bush?

Now the latest is that he's TOO Intelligent to be President (you can't make this stuff up if you tried).

If you think that he mapped out his whole life to become President, well that shows me that you are rewriting history because it's simply not true. Maybe you should do some research first before you make such statements?

And please don't call me rascist because I disagree with Obama's policies.
You see I don't care about the color of his skin, but people like you throw out the race card all the time when someone disagrees with the President. It's the first line of defense for Obama groupies like yourself.

Don't worry if you're depressed you have Obamacare. What will depress you is the annual deductible that you now have to pay though.

And what's really tragic for this country is the 6 trillion that's been added to the debt under Obama.

26tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Would it be too much to suggest that we get back on to the original issue?
The matter of describing the United States as a sinful nation?
Look at the pages of this very paper. Include if you like back issues from similar news organizations in places like Warren, Salem, Sharon - we need not go to Akron, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh. Just in our own backyard.
What do we see? Not just the big events - the murders, assaults, institutional bribery and corruption (and acceptance of same) in public institutions and offices. I'm thinking of the kids that will be raised by 30-some year-old grandparents using welfare for a job, kids who will grow up without knowing a father. I'm thinking of hideous levels of alcoholism and drug addiction. I'm referring to 14 and 15-year-olds giving birth and continuing the cycle. I've been in homes that have ZERO books therein, certainly not a Bible around, and in which reading or any other learning is actively discouraged. I'm referring to casual gunfire at someone who wore the "wrong" color of clothes.
And much else.
Ever visit an Emergency Room on Saturday night? or the local police station? been at a funeral home to see the gathering for someone who got drunked up and died in a wreck, or someone who gave up hope and blew his head off? Heard the weeping of someone whose husband - or "partner" as we now quaintly term it -- was found to have two other "baby mamas"? Saw the sad eyes of a kid at the ball game looking for the person believed to be Dad. but who was too involved with the current "squeeze" to bother to come?
Need more examples? There's plenty.
And we all know it.
Sinful nation? I think the term is too kind.
Desperately wicked and headed to destruction is more the case, and soon too.
If that upsets those who would rather talk far-off politics rather than the rot in their own town, neighborhood, or family, good! It's about time!

27cambridge(3101 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

tnmartin....read your post, reading between the lines made it easy to break the code. Not very "christian".

28tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

"code"??? I truly have no idea what you are meaning here. My secret decoder ring broke last week.

29rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Parlayhenry

You crack me up. Still haven't answered my question.
Maybe that's because you truly can't.

The american electorate has voted for many poor candidates mostly because it's comprised of people just like you. Or are you going to tell me that every President has been great? Or are you reserving that solely for your guy? Groupies like yourself are seldom truly objective.

You can save your movie quotes. Open the Bible instead it just might save your immortal soul.

And i still give little credence to someone who posts insults under a fake name.

30tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

there is a real pattern of anger and getting off the subject here, isn't there?
If there point is that the nature of human beings hasn't changed in, say, 2,000 years, then that is true. There are no new sins, the old ones including the biggies of pride, greed, lust, and envy are still with us and probably will be until the End. No disagreement there.
On the other hand, the culture has changed. I would submit that, overall, those changes are not for the better. Mr. Robertson is saying so, and he is right. Nor he is the only one saying it.
This area has had problems with morality for a LONG time, but there was a time when people had the decency to be ashamed of wicked behavior. Now we are somehow expected to celebrate it. And that is the change.
Accepting vile and sinful behavior is not A Good Thing as some here seem to be stating. It is a very bad thing, and generally a sign of a society in collapse. Historical examples are not hard to find.
I believe in miracles, and believe that the Lord is always at work. Perhaps a change could come to pass, even here.

31rickking123(312 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Parlayhenry
Are you taking an intro to psych class at community college? I'm sure you'll pass it after several attempts and an envelope filled with money for the instructor.

Pompous liberal elitists like yourself are pathetic.
Such ignoramuses. If you don't agree with everything they say they attack you on a personal level. You have a chronic and pervasive history of name calling when people point out your stupidity. You've even had comments deleted for violating the Vindy's site policy.

You should follow the Bible admonition and remove the timber from your own eye before pointing out the sliver in someone else's.

Your hate filled attacks are a classic sign of a frustrated life. Your world must be imploding. Did obamacare cancel your little blue pills?

When you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror how's that crack between your two cheeks?

You believe that only your opinion is correct and when others use your own words against you you spew vile and hate.

Ask you a simple question and you become more ellusive than Bill Clinton defining the word "is".

You think you're so cerebral and above everyone else, yet nothing could be further from the truth.

Your phony name suits you with your attacks on God and the Bible. I thank Him for the blessings and abundance He has bestowed on me while you wallow in the misery you created for yourself.

Put your phony name to use and double down on your parlay bet against God and the Bible. And then go step in front of a mack truck and see where you end up. If you truly believe in what you say there should be no problem.

32handymandave(551 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Phil Robertson was here?

33tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

it would appear to me that reading a week's worth of stories in the Vindicator, and watching this very comment thread, would of itself prove Mr. Robertson's assessment completely.
And the anger and vituperation directed that way as light is shined upon the nest of cockroaches only confirms it.

34BJC(1 comment)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

As a RN for 38 years, this is against nature, if you don't believe in sin. You WILL pay a price. HIV and Hep C is being brought home to married couples by Bi Sexual men. Your anus was not designed for having sexual intercourse, infection, rips, tears, in the tissue is horrific and sets up life threatening infection. If you go against nature you WILL pay the price

35LovinLife(20 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Parlay, I finally get your point:

(1) All Christians are idiots
(2) Obama claims to be Christian

Obama must be an idiot.

Got it.

36Robert_Neville(123 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

parlayhenry, pileated, and LovinLife,

I thought that I lived in America not Russia. When did Communism come to America?

I thought that everyone could have there own opinion but I see if you are not holding the green flag you must be on the other side. Lets talk facts!

pileated commented: A 2006 study by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that "38.2 percent of men between ages 20 and 39 and 32.6 percent of women ages 18 to 44 engage in heterosexual anal sex."

The 2010 answer: An estimated 90% of men who have sex with men and as many as 5% to 10% of sexually active women engage in receptive anal intercourse. This is men on men not men on women. Your numbers are inflated to make it sound like everyone is doing it!

link to answer: http://www.webmd.com/sex/anal-sex-hea...

parlayhenry nice joke but you might want to thank the catholic church for your education. They pushed for education the peasants in the late 1100 century. lets not stop there. LovinLife I did not forget about your comment about All Christians are idiots? nice one, I will have to add that one to the books of Marx but the catholic church educate 12% of the American school age children last year. But President Obama wants them to cut funding and replace it with common core. This will be the stand that President Obama needs to show the world that the religious people in America do have a foot to stand on.

link to answer: http://www.ncea.org/

BJC, I agree with you every foreign Country I have stepped foot on in the last nine years have had a really high infection rate. the fact is it is coming to America and if we have not seen it yet will be here sooner than later.

I will say this the world looks at America and laugh. They talk about how much drug use and the lack of morals the people have. They say we stand for nothing anymore.

Robert Neville

37LovinLife(20 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Robert, Robert, Robert,

I was being sarcastic. I was poking fun at Parlay's lack of logic, summing up his arguments. Definitely not agreeing with him.

Parlay, I hope you find some peace. The OT angry God arguments have been debated (and easily refuted) since the time of Marcion and Irenaeus. For every famous person you quote speaking against Christianity, I can quote several speaking for it.

Point is, smarter folks than us have debated the same points for years. You simply can't prove or disprove Christianity by intellectual effort alone.

But one thing is clear...you can't possibly be experiencing true joy in your heart when you write the things you do.

May God truly bless you.

38billdog1(1804 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

To much a do about nothing. I believe in the NEW TESTAMENT. Christ taught love and tolerance. All the quoting of the OLD TESTAMENT is insane. I say to Phil, "He with out sin cast the first stone." I'm sure Phil has done things he is not so proud of, wouldn't tell his wife or others and I'm sure he is less than perfect.

I just don't listen to celebrity. These people make their money of those that can't think for themselves.

39cambridge(3101 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

parlayhenry.....you are truly a breath of fresh air, thanks for the posts.

40LovinLife(20 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

parlay

You are an interesting dude.

1) I "do not have the right to evangelize"? Holy crap, when did they kill the 1st amendment? I must have missed that. Of course I have a right to evangelize, just as you have the right to spew venom and hatred. Help me understand in what sense we do not have this right.

2) I don't have the right to "condemn others for their lifestyle"? Why do you have that right and we don't? In what sense is the place where you draw a moral line in the sand more valid than ours?

3) I'm confused...is Obama super-intelligent (your words) or a Christian "simpleton" (your word) like me?

4) Are you sure your "amusement park of joy" isn't nothing more than a bit of gas?

You seem somewhat intelligent, but your struggles with basic logic and your hostility and name calling are baffling and render any type of debate useless.

Like it or not, I'll be praying for you brother. And defending your same rights that you want to deny to us. I'm off to spend my time doing something useful, like evangelizing.

41Dana(1 comment)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Went to see Phil in Youngstown. Got there late and the service had already started. All the security people thought that I was Phil and so did a lot of other people. Sorry I didn't get to hear Phil's speech but I did get to listen to it on the website. I really did want to meet Phil but with all of the chaos of people thinking I was Phil they made us leave. One day I hope to meet Phil and the rest of the family!

42tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

actually, the quote ascribed to A. Einstein above is just a bit "doctored". It actually goes:
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"
which is not quite the same thing, is it?
It appears that we have some deceit going on here.
Similar things might be said of some of the previous citations and deliberate mis-characterizations. The Founders were strongly opposed to a nationally "established" religious test. Nationally. But were you also aware that at the time of the adoption of the Constitution, MOST of the individual states did in fact have "established church denominations, a practice that lasted well into the 19th century? The Founders had no problem with that. And, if I might opine, if it was Constitutional then, it is Constitutional now - the document hasn't changed despite the idiot opinions of some judges. (note that I am not in support of such a practice, I think it's a bad idea. But the number of bad ideas ensconced in law is very high.).
It's not hard, if one wishes to do so, to find a whole raft of quotes that show some of the statements on this whole thread to be either grossly out of context, or outright fabrications.
Mr. Robertson used the term "sinful nation". It would appear from all that is going on around here that he was being far too kind.

I think some of the articles in the Vindy just in the last few days prove Mr. Robertson's points quite adequately.

43walter_sobchak(1979 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

tnmartin,
You are correct on those points. But, since others feel the need to post quotes, I will follow up on them.

"Ezekiel 25:17 - The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he that shepherds the weak from the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper, and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

-As quoted by Jules "bad m****rf****r" Winnfield

44cambridge(3101 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm pretty sure it was a "Big Kahuna Burger". "Damn good burger".

45LovinLife(20 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Parlay, if you are capable of having a conversation without bigotry, hate speech, stereotyping, and personal attacks on someone you know nothing about, then I challenge you to go back and answer the questions I asked without any of that. Otherwise, I wish you all the best, but you offer nothing of further interest.

46walter_sobchak(1979 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Cambridge,
Yes, a Big Kahuna Burger! Cheeseburgers - The cornerstone of any good breakfast.

47Truth4Life(33 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

LOL! Right winger again loves to engage in holier-than-thou Bible thumping but forgets that his own Holy Book demands, "judge not lest ye be judged".

48tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

friend "parlay", I think you might want to cite a more reliable and truthful source of information than the commie lunatics of the Southern Poverty Law Center, or groups that are foolish enough to trust them. They are further proof that we may have closed operations like Woodside -- or Lima State Hospital for the Insane -- just a bit prematurely.
They're rather famous for fact-free bombast and propaganda. If you prefer the shorter term "lies", you might not be too far off.

and to our other deluded friend, the verse cited (Matthew 7:1) is generally regarded as the one most misused in the entire Bible, generally by those not known for accurate exegesis. If you prefer to eat steak rather than cow plop, you've not only "judged", but you've "discriminated" as well. Don't think you should feel guilty in either event. And if you have opposed wife-beating or arson, you've also "judged". Correctly, I think. Opposing homosexual fantasies comes under the heading of "discernment". Look it up, they've got dictionaries down at the library and nice people to help you.

49tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months ago

re SPLC: I have in the not-too-distant past done a fair amount of business in and around Montgomery, Alabama which is where Morris Dees has set up his loathsome crew of the SPLC. If anything, my characterization of them is too kind, unless they've changed their ways in the last two or three years. Which seems unlikely.
If it pleases you to believe their ravings, be my guest. The Bible contains a passage about a dog returning to its own vomit, and from time to time we see examples of that.
And we also, as here, see examples of the observations that there are those who prefer to believe a lie, rather than an uncomfortable truth. That should move us to pity, but it points out, again, the truth of Mr. Robertson's observations. If there is any place on earth that bears out the remark that America is a sinful nation, you can see it in the Valley..

50kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

@ tnmartin; " If there is any place on earth that bears out the remark that America is a sinful nation, you can see it in the Valley"

Interesting that someone from Montgomery, Alabama- Southerners in General- should try to swaddle themselves in Holy Robes and try to call people from Youngstown "Sinful" (along with the rest of the country) when you look back on their own recent history- 50 years ago in Louisiana- Robertson's home state- they were still lynching people- if a black man looked at a white women the "wrong way" or didn't jump off the sidewalk in time to let a white man pass- that night he could expect to see hooded riders arrive holding a noose. And all that was fully supported by the local Churches- in fact, most of the Hooded Riders could be seen in Church every Sunday singing Hymns along with the rest of the congregation.

The truth is until very recently- when we forced them to convert- the South was an evil, horrible place. By comparison, Places like Youngstown, and Detroit, and Chicago- with their industrial power and tradition of treating all workers equally (maybe not very well, but better than anywhere in the "Holy South")- were a huge magnet for Southern Workers- especially Blacks- where they had absolutely no chance at all.

And now to have a Southerner come North and lecture Us about morality is, well, pretty Bizarre (of course, Robertson, that's his business- makes a lot of money that way- but, I won't watch his show- I don't need an emetic.)

I believe in Conservative Values (hate Liberalism), but one thing we ought to remember where organized religion is concerned- it always follows the money. Supports whoever or whatever has power at the time- during the heyday of the South preachers got up every Sunday and told their flock "black people were inferior" and needed the guidance of white people. And nobody questioned that.

That's why when a Southerner like Robertson comes North and tries to lecture us about "morality"- I feel I want to throw up.

51tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months ago

someone needs to reduce the number of unwarranted assumptions. I was born here, have lived most of my life here, went to YSU before Tressel, (and can barely remember when the "S" was added). I was married here, saw both my children born and christened here. My parents, grandparents, and most aunts and uncles are buried here. I can even recall Esther Hamilton in the days she lived at the old Ohio Hotel and wrote dreadful pieces for the Vindy. I was here the day the radio started blaring the message for people to come to the mills and clean out their lockers as part of the sudden closing. I've even been to Cal's in Campbell, which was not an advertised tourist stop, I can even remember when Mayor Jack Hunter used to be a frequent guest on Dan's radio talk show. OK?
The occasionally unusual nature of my work has often required me to be away from the area, sometimes overnight, sometimes for a year or more. It has allowed me to see that no, things are NOT done everywhere the way they are here. So don't give the malarky about outsiders.
The determination to remain a "safe" Democrat location has been good for no one. There are some good people in the party. There are also a number of thieves and creeps, and a fair number who turn a blind eye and pretend otherwise. And most people know it. Fact is, with a one-party system, there is no meaningful system of checks and balances, and no expectation of civic virtue. And we all know it. What's sad is that people have come to expect that local officials will either be creeps and thieves, or give a pass to those who are even if they are honest.
My remarks about the SPLC stand. They were, if anything, too kind.
If you don't like Mr. Robertson, his family, or his message, you have every right to do so. You also have a right to be wrong, and you are.

52tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months ago

sigh. If I see someone about to walk in front of a moving bus,and warn him that he's about to become part of the landscape, that's not 'HATE". It may be just decent behavior.
Warning someone that his behavior is likely - or certain - to lead to awful results is,again, not hate. It's basic decency
It does not take great powers of observation to note that a lot of the behaviors we see all around us, all too often celebrated, lead to awful results, pain, misery, and too often death. Read the paper, for pity sake! You think the horrid rates of alcoholism, drug addiction, divorce, single-parent families, liquor based fatal wrecks, bar fights that turn deadly, embezzlement, and on and on are GOOD things? We need not look too far to see the situation.
Behaviors that would have been, in an earlier time, discouraged by the overall moral tone of the society are now, we hear, to be promoted, not merely tolerated.
"Sinful nation"? You better believe it!
And while we're at it, the little ditty quoted above is catchy. But "it ain't necessarily so", to quote another little ditty. People are NOT naturally nice, kind, well-behaved. Any mother of a 2-year-old can attest to that. Some people just never get out of the "terrible two's", and expect the rest of us to nod approvingly. Not happening.

53tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months ago

one gets the distinct impression in all of this that the real problem here is the concept of "sin". Some prefer to deny the reality of it. That sort of belief normally leads to bad results. Have seen some up close.
It was, I believe, that late and unlamented Anton LaVey who stated his belief as being , "do what thou wilt, shall be the whole of the law". That was around the time he was establishing the operation called the First Church of Satan. Clearly, there has been some spillover of that attitude to those who are unaware of the origins of that philosophy. That philosophy, by the way, is a lot older than Mr. LaVey.
==
just as an aside, that judge in Oregon who pulled the ruling re same-sex "marriage" out of his, uh, "fundament", is also an openly practicing homosexual. One who believes his own personal fantasies and perversions outweigh all else. Fire the bum.

54kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

@tnmartin- Sorry, I read your comments too quickly- thought you were from the South.

55tnmartin(306 comments)posted 7 months ago

@kurtw no problem. I *was* born in Columbiana county, which is south of Mahoning, so perhaps that counts (grin) though have lived in Mahoning and Trumbull counties most of my life.
Seriously, though, what I said holds. Things really are done differently elsewhere. Yes, everywhere has its own unique flavors and ways. Try to find piroghi in Tulsa or Detroit or Denver or Dallas. Ain't likely to happen. But some of the customs and attitudes here are damaging the area and the people in it and have been for a good 50 years or more.
Bad behavior happens everywhere. What began this whole exchange is Mr. Robertson's calling down America for having abandoned our moral roots. And, sorry, but he's right. And we don't have to look to far to see examples of it. I don't like it, and certainly have no excuse for a "holier than thou" attitude. Where this path leads is not a good place, not for us or for our children or for our neighborhoods. Time to change direction.
And I bid adieu, but I have an early morning trip. Don't forget what Memorial Day is all about - it's not a sale or a picnic.

56kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

@parlay... "When, on God's Green Earth, were Americans more virtuous? When we enslaved others for our benefit? When we rounded up the indigenous tribes, killed women and children and stole their land? When we punished every immigrant who ever came over at any time, the Irish, the Italians, Hispanics, in turn. When we relegated women to second class citizens?"

Are you serious? Are you really serious? No country on earth has ever given ordinary people a better chance of making something of their lives than this one. Injustices? Sure. But, that's the "curse of Adam", isn't it? Part of life. But the wonderful thing about the United States is that we're constantly evolving, reforming, improving. The Civil Rights Movement in the sixties did that. Most countries- European Countries, for instance- don't normally operate that way- they establish a cultural mold- and then that's it- after that it's like pumping out cement yard figures. America is the one country "on God's Green Earth" that broke the mold.

Ask the descendants of those immigrants- Irish, Italians, Hispanics, it they feel "punished" or deprived that their fathers, or grandfathers, gambled and came to this country? I'll bet they would say it was the best thing that could possibly have happened to them.

It's not a perfect country, but it's pretty damn close. Closer than any other country in the history of the World. And if we forget that, and lose it, then, well, I don't even want to think about that...

P.S. Part of the reason for my strong feelings on this subject- "American Exceptionalism"- is my personal experience. I was an immigrant from post-war Germany and I remember the incredible hardship faced by ordinary Germans in the late forties. We started a War, we lost that war and I think everybody knew, or felt, that we couldn't expect very much from the victors- the United States lost almost 300,000 in that war added to over 100,000 in the First World War also against Germany- and so I think most Germans thought: "Well, that's it. We can't really expect generous treatment from these people and we'd better brace ourselves for the worst". But then a miracle happened. It was called the Marshall Plan. The U.S. donated 13 Billion- a huge sum of money in 1948- to help rebuild Germany- it's former enemy. Granted, partly to help offset Soviet Power- but the point is, it was given and it was given to a country just defeated in a War it started that caused 300,000 Americans to die. That's what I mean about "American Exceptionalism". No country in the history of the world has ever treated a former adversary that generously- that wisely.

57kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

@tnmartin- Thanks. Good luck on trip- though you may not read this. I agree with your statement on two counts: Number One: "customs and attitudes damaging" the area. That's correct. We have been conditioned to believe that any politician other than an anointed "Democrat" is an accomplice of Beelzebub. My mother has a friend in her eighties and once I suggested to her that maybe, just maybe, a Republican in a certain local election- I can't remember the one- might, just might, be the better candidate facing the Democrat. She almost fainted- I thought I would need to dial 911- She said she would "never", "ever", consider voting for a Republican, they were "awful, evil, and greedy", interested only in the rich, etc, etc. I told myself from now on I will never, ever, recommend to any Y-town voter over the age of 60 the virtues of a Republican candidate- unless I had some motive in killing them (Insurance Money?).

Number Two: Moral Decline. I agree there too. Primarily in what's happened to the Family- building block of society- sounds trite, but true. Mainly the staggering Illegitimacy Rate- almost 80 per cent for blacks, 48 per cent for whites- a 20 fold increase for both groups since the early 60's (coincidence?) You can't run a country that way. Maybe Newt Gingrich had a point- set up orphanages to support illegitimate babies instead of subsidizing their dysfunctional mothers with welfare and food stamps. Cruel? I don't know about that- babies need a stable and nurturing environment- My guess is, a well run orphanage might do a better job than a dysfunctional single parent. Didn't Hillary say once: "It take a Village to Raise a Child" Well?

58kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

@ Parlay... "Did you ever stop to ask yourself how Germany, as a nation, descended into madness in the 1930's?"

I'll tell you how it started, Parlay. It started with "moral relativism"- known as "situational ethics" in the swinging sixties- the notion that considered humanity would be better off by getting rid of moral absolutes and replacing them with rules made up along the way which lead directly to the "if it feels good" it must be good hedonism ruining this country today.

The Holocaust started with euthanasia- the "merciful" killing of the feeble minded, the socially misfit, the crippled- all those considered "inconvenient" and, therefore "dispensable" (remind you of anything? how many Abortions this year alone?)- and from there it lead to the extermination of Jews. But the root cause was "moral relativism" when absolutes, derived from traditional religion, are discarded- the result is- "madness".

59kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

@parlay " Oh my!!! Better call Phil Robertson and start rounding up the children to protect them from turning gay!!! LOL!!!'

Not much chance of that. Gays are Born not Bred- most of the science seems to show- happens in the first Trimester of Intro-uterine Life- they miss out on certain hormones that differentiate guys from gals. Blaming them for it is like blaming someone for having a Cowlick. Doesn't make any sense. (But, at the same time, it's not something anyone should "celebrate". Governor Kasich has a Cowlick but you don't hear him crowing about it or joining Parades- "Equal Treatment for Cowlick Bearers!")

60kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

Parlay, read your history and you'll see I'm right. The German Government in the late 30's started a program of what they called "mercy killing" where handicapped and retarded people were sent to "special" hospitals and where they were killed- usually with lethal injections. The program was halted because of protests by the Lutheran Church (specifically Bishop Galen). The point of my comment is that "situational ethics" are very elastic- they can be applied to many "situations". The Germans were conditioned to accept "dispensable" lives by the mercy killing program and later expanded the definition to include other groups of people- Jews, Gypsies, Slavic's, Gay's (ironically, since a significant part of the Nazi Leadership were practicing Homosexual's- which I'm sure the "Gay Pride" people wouldn't care to acknowledge.)

61kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

parlay "No matter what you do, white Bible-thumpers, your days are done."

So, what are you calling for- a race war? Those figures you bring up ONLY make sense if you include Hispanics as Black- which THEY ARE NOT. This whole "people of color" nonsense is just that- Nonsense. Latinos, like Italians, Greeks, Arabs- are Caucasians- there are only three races: Caucasians, Asians, and Negroid and by that definition African-Americans make up barely 15 per cent of the population- and that isn't going to change.

I can't think of a better way to destroy this country than "race hustling".

62kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

Parlay, "Why, when a person stops breathing or their heart stops, do we try to resuscitate them?
It seems to me that your God is calling them back to Him, why do you think it is fit to interfere in God's plans?"

Congratulations! That has to qualify as the most idiotic statement on this entire thread. It's called medical science- I mean, what else can I say?

63kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

Parlay, if you want to know what "stupid and ignorant" is about- read your own posts. At least, I try to frame a rational response to something I disagree with instead of indulging in name calling and personal insult as in your last post: "Please, open some windows in your trailer, you must have a propane leak to write such unabashed drivel."

You call my statements "unabashed drivel" without any explanation or rebuttal. Anyone can do that. It doesn't take much brainpower- which is good because I can tell you haven't much to spare.

64kurtw(938 comments)posted 7 months ago

Parlay, kurt w.. ".contraception is medical science; surgical abortion is medical science; euthanasia is medical science. Your point is, then?"

When did I say I opposed contraception? and euthanasia? Fine, when it's voluntary- but in Germany- it was done to people against their will and it wasn't merciful at all- it was just a way to get rid of them. "Situational Ethics" is a slippery slope- leads us in all kinds of unexpected directions.

65andersonathan(671 comments)posted 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Amazing as a City we are compromised with crime [murder] let alone theft of all kinds. Street Gangs that the Federal Government clean up, areas that look [or used to look] like a post apocalypse war zone. Corruption in our Local Government let alone State and Federal. We passively allow this to happen and in allowing that simple mentality to multiply into our lives we see the end results.

A sin is a sin, premeditated murder legally called abortion of over 50 million innocent babies. It is still a sin bigger than a Lie, yes, it is, but lying is a sin also. So the phrase "your killing me with those lies." Stands true both are sins Both will keep you from entering Heaven. Hell will be full of
"Sunday Christians"

Hell will be full of the LGBT community, Hell will be full of Islam followers of the false Prophet Mohammed, Hell will full of Buddha followers, Hell will full with those who are unwillingly to Accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. And the backsliding Hell will be the hottest of all.

And the Churches and the Pastors, Ministers and Priests will be judged. People need to be told what is wrong and what is right. Accepting Jesus Christ into your life is a surrendering point, were one person is willing to surrender / give up / turn over/ concede their lives to a authority, a deity named Jesus Christ the Son of God. You receive the Holy Spirit/Ghost and as easy as washing a dirty window our sin is washed away and we become a new creature in Jesus he abides in us, he is with us. Our conviction of any sin we allow back in [swearing, lying, drugs, sexual sin] will come with the Holy Spirit and as we cry out to Jesus he is there, he intercedes.

But ramped up sin from non believers is always there in many forms porn, abortion, sexual sins, lies. stealing etc. Sin you can turn it on, click it on
listen to it on the radio.

So yes America is on a down ward spiral morally, spiritually. And due the lack of Jesus permitted in our lives it will keep spinning down. So like it or not when some one takes the time to have a event like this it is a good thing for the area. And all the haters and mud slingers that posted here maybe you need to have a personal talk with a man Called Jesus Christ

66Silence_Dogood(1384 comments)posted 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Substitute Jew for Evangelical and I think you can figure out who the modern day Nazi is.

67kurtw(938 comments)posted 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Parlay, Glad you're saving my comments. I'm saving yours too. Putting them in an anthology entitled: "World's Dumbest Statements". I'm sure yours will place close to the top along with those of Karl Marx and Daffy Duck. Cheers!

68kurtw(938 comments)posted 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Silence... "Substitute Jew for Evangelical and I think you can figure out who the modern day Nazi is"

Well said. I think you nailed it.

69andersonathan(671 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

parlay comments need to be ignored but the numbers are almost right on elimination of the " Bible Thumpers"
The rate Islam is growing in the USA is alarming it is estimated that there is over 10 million and growing at a high rate and in thirty years a estimated 50 million followers of Islam and a voter block that will need to be catered to swing every major election. And considering the impact Islam has on our prison system Islam is one of the fastest growing cults in the USA.

The idea extinction of the white race turned into to brown through breeding of any race has been around forever. And is pushed in sub cultures as a duty for eliminating "the man" And if they would pay attention to abortion rate to find 1/2 of black babies conceived are aborted. Then it would seem "The Brown Makers" "White Haters" would be pro life to step up this process of turning the world brown. But as usual that would put them in the wrong group and to close to Christians, Conservatives,

So good morning I am a Pro life, Christian, Conservative, Death Penalty Loving, Concealed Caring, White Male so if there is anything else i can do to make you whine let me know!

70billdog1(1804 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

parlayhenry, Although Phil may say such ignorant things, it doesn't make them true. Hate is a choice. Hate has no place in public forum. Hate in such people is based on choosing and living parts of the biblical text they feel justifies their ignorance. As a Christian, I TRY to live under the teachings of Christ, not pull out quotes from the Old Testament of the Bible. Phil Robinson and people like him prove that their are people that do not (or should I say nut) understand the meaning of the word Christian.

71tnmartin(306 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Actually, billdog, a *great* deal of what "parly" is ascribing to Mr. Robertson is made up out of his own sordid imagination. Robertson has actually done a creditable job of telling the truth, and the one statement he made that caused such upset was pretty much word for word out of the Bible. Truth hurts, evidently.