Mold at Boardman firehouse is hazard

BOARDMAN

More than 17,000 particles per million of penicillium mold at the main fire station on Boardman-Canfield Road are going to cost the township almost $20,000 to clear out.

An air test of the station proved the township has a safety hazard at hand; a reading of 5,000 particles per million is considered a hazard, Fire Chief George Brown said.

The basement of the station is where the mold is contained and sealed off by plastic. Also sealed off is the first floor. Each floor will be cleared and cleaned by ServiceMaster by Lewis Construction of Warren.

The chief is hoping the station will be cleared and cleaned by Friday.

“[It is] an ongoing problem for the fire department until we get a new station.”

For more on the problem and solutions, read Saturday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.