Highway patrol teams up with Youngstown Police Department on I-680

Published: Tue, March 18, 2014 @ 9:57 a.m.

Highway patrol teams up with Youngstown Police Department on I-680

CANFIELD

The Canfield Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol, along with the Youngstown Police Department, has and will continue to place an increased emphasis on traffic enforcement on the Interstate 680 corridor during peak crash days and times throughout 2014. From 2009-2013, I-680 experienced eight fatal, 337 injury, and 876 property damage crashes with the majority due to unsafe speed.

The Canfield post has the objective being to get motorists to obey the speed limit by placing officers on the 680 corridor in the city of Youngstown, and Boardman, and Austintown townships.

Law enforcement will target all violations with an emphasis on speed, following too closely, improper lane changes, OVI, seat belt violations, and failing to move over or slow down to a stopped emergency and public safety vehicle. Officers will utilize aircraft to assist with ground operations.

During three days last week, the patrol and the Youngstown Police Department issued more than 100 traffic tickets on I-680 for speed.

Motorists are reminded to obey the posted speed limit, don’t drive impaired or distracted, and buckle up all of the time.

Comments

1Attis(879 comments)posted 6 months ago

Pure HIghway Robbery. At Midlothian the speed limit suddenly (and almost without warning) drops from 65mph to 50mph for no good reason. Most of the citations/robberies occur right there. Why not post additional signs reminding drivers that the speed limit changes instead of having a sudden 15mph drop from one inch to the next? Because the police coffers would not be overflowing?

2jgm820(115 comments)posted 6 months ago

People are CRAZY drivers on that highway. I avoid it wherever possible. A friend of ours has had a few near misses in the past few weeks while driving to work. Most recently a white car going 80 mph last night weaving that spun into the median and proceeded down the highway. 65 is way too fast on any portion of 680.

3DevilPrideWR(3 comments)posted 6 months ago

We travel the stretch of 680 from Midlothian to 80/76 every day. The speed limit changes at South Ave where the traffic becomes heavier and narrows from six lanes to four. The road becomes much curvier and while 50 is annoying, it is appropriate especially during rush hour traffic. The first commenter is right though, there is only one small warning sign on the side of an overpass.

Just give yourself enough time and obey the laws. Then you won't be paying ridiculous fines.

4INTHEKNOW55(13 comments)posted 6 months ago

680 speed does not change to 50 until you get to South Ave. It changes to 60 just before Midilothian.....now coming the other way at Meridian it goes from 65 to 50 with little warning!!!

5sweatpea(122 comments)posted 6 months ago

When I see how the YPD and SHP drive on 680 it makes me nervous, we could argue they make it more dangerous!
We entered a new era in law enforcement a few years back, sadly it is now the fundraising era. I 680 is Youngstown's gold mine. It's not going to change, so be smart and drive like a responsible human being.

When driving I 680 please consider these requests from a fellow driver:
When I leave 3-5 car lengths between myself and the car in front of me, they are not for you and 3 others to pull in front of me. They are so I do not rear end and kill the family in front of me when someone realizes they were on the phone too long and now have to cut back into the right lane to get off at their exit (in particular YSU exit). This is especially the case when the roads are slippery.

When I have my right turn signal on, please be patient and let me get off. You dont need to pass me on the right to go around me.(near South ave. or Indianola and Shirley)

Feel free to use your turn signal and turn your lights on when you are using your wipers. It is the law, you must do both!

To the multiple ladies in the SUV's that travel southbound @ 7:15am - 7:30am. Use this time to turn your phones off and charge them. Put down the coffee, the cigarette and the makeup. If you are in doubt if it's you, the more expensive the SUV - the worse you are!

Do not go 45 in 50 zone because you have not paid your insurance. Slow speed draws the attenion of the law as much as speeding.

Lastly, to all fellow I 680 drivers: I promise, no matter how bad of a day I am having, I will not harm any one of you and you will get home safely to your family. I demand the same from you!

6Attis(879 comments)posted 6 months ago

I meant Meridian, not Midlothian; sorry; absolute speed trap and illegitimate gold mine for cops.

7NickSerra(4 comments)posted 6 months ago

I hate that the speed limit is 50mph on that section of the freeway.

If you can't handle going 65 on that stretch of 680 then you need to hand over your license. There's no reason it should be 5mph more than several residential roads in Boardman.

8Duke_Ganote(7 comments)posted 6 months ago

SO-CALLED "speed related" violations are "apples and oranges": CRASHES occurring under adverse conditions -- such as fog, rain, ice, and curves -- and CITATIONS handed out under optimal conditions, typically sunny, dry, straight roads. Self-proclaimed "safety lobbyists" insinuate that raking in revenue under the best conditions will reduce crashes under the worst conditions. Unbelievable! In fact, Interstates have both the lowest fatality rates and lowest "speed related" fatality rates!