Scrapping plans for consolidation will hurt YSU telecom students

Published: Fri, March 14, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

Scrapping plans for consolidation will hurt YSU telecom students

The Youngstown State uni- versity Board of Trustees announced plans to move telecommunications and journalism departments to Melnick Hall are cancelled due to financial woes. For many it seems this is not a major deal or something that won’t affect many students attending YSU. But it has more impact than what surfaces.

Currently, The Jambar student news-paper is in Fedor Hall, The News Outlet is in Jones Hall, WYSU operates from Cushwa and Rookery Radio broadcasts from Kilcawley Center. All of the outlets are run and funded separately. They have little connection to one another, and rarely share information.

The Jambar focuses on news pertaining strictly to the university, while The News Outlet deals with more investigative enterprise stories statewide. Although their news stories most of the time do not intertwine, there are most likely dozens of great story ideas lying on the editors desks of each outlet that they could give to the other.

If both were in the same building and could talk regularly, more stories would come to life. Better information would be shared, and quite frankly, multimedia journalism would be attainable.

Students in both organizations were extremely disappointed when news broke out that we were losing Melnick. The only media that will be located out of Melnick at this time will be WYSU, because of funding purposes. Communication between the organizations and the board was limited, and we had no idea this was the end result to our much-anticipated new building proposition.

I have written for The Jambar for this academic school year, and have seen many structural issues that we have dealt with as a result of being in the basement of Fedor. We have water leaking through our ceiling every time it rains, which is an issue when we have computers and equipment in the office. We are located far away from the main core of campus buildings, an issue the News Outlet also deals.

We are grateful for our office and being able to gain valuable experience in a newsroom, but we are still students learning how to do this thing we call news. Having other students and mentors all located in one building would add to the value of our experience in college, and would give us newer facilities to help make our environment more modern and fresh.

We spend dozens of hours every week in our media offices, and we deserve renovations too.

JoAnne Tombo, Hubbard

Comments

1ediorio(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

JoAnne, I'm so glad that you brought this issue to light. As a student at YSU, I am ashamed to admit that I was completely unaware of this falling through. I have had class in Fedor Hall, and agree that it is in dire need of renovations. My first semester at YSU, I couldn't even locate my class in Fedor Hall because everyone I asked had no idea where the building was located. It is outdated, and not in an ideal location. I hope that we receive the funding to move all of the media programs into one, newer building.

2atpotts95(3 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It is a shame this fell through. I agree it could have been beneficial for all of these media resources to have access to share information with each other, as well as the opportunity to get a little insight into how other forms of media operate.

3justinwier(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It's disappointing that this was the project YSU decided to scrap. As the journalism program has continually been recognized as one of the very best in the state, it would make sense to invest in it. Not to mention that unlike other renovation projects that are primarily cosmetic, this would have a direct effect on the quality of the education students in the journalism program receive.

4jlatch(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It is great that you brought knowledge to this issue that many face everyday. I am on the ysu campus everyday and had no idea of these troubles going on. Sometimes it seems ysu puts their money on other projects that are less of importance. Thanks for expressing your grief.

5caitsheridan(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Being a Journalism major I could not agree with you more. You prove a strong point and I am glad that you brought light to such an important issue. I have many classes in the basement of Fedor Hall. The computers there are outstanding however, it would be more relevant if all the journalism classes were closer together. I also agree with your idea of working in collaboration with each other and that it would benefit the students and university.

6arood111(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow. I am a journalism student and I currently work at the Jambar not only would that be a reat idea, but it would make stories 10 times better. This is really sad to bad it couldn't have happened. Blame it on Dunn!

7karensbell08(2 comments)posted 4 months, 2 weeks ago

As a senior from The News Outlet this makes me so annoyed. When I started at YSU there was a big separation between The News Outlet and The Jambar. Now more than anything I wish we were all a little closer. Other majors get a building and share resources and we are cut thin and separated. We are growing and influencing more and more people but if we were together sharing resources we could do so much more.