Phil Robertson of ‘Duck Dynasty’ to speak at Men’s Rally in the Valley

Published: Wed, March 12, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

photo

Bob Bartholow of Leetonia stacks signs to be assembled for Men’s Rally in the Valley Thursday, March 6, 2014 at Faith Chapel in Salem.

By LINDA M. LINONIS

linonis@vindy.com

youngstown

At a service Sept. 15, 2013, at White Smith Ferry Church in West Monroe, La., Walter “Bing” Newton participated in worship and met the Robertson family of “Duck Dynasty” fame.

That encounter led Phil Robertson, head of the family and founder of Duck Commander Co., to agree to speak at the Men’s Rally in the Valley on May 3 at the Covelli Centre. He’ll be introduced by his oldest son, Alan, who was in the ministry for 25 years before returning to the family business.

Newton, lead organizer and founder of the Men’s Rally in the Valley, said after last year’s event that the group knew its next theme would be “No Compromise ... No Retreat ... Standing on the Truth” from the book of Daniel. “No Compromise, No Retreat” will be Robertson’s topic when he speaks about 3 p.m. May 3.

“Robertson has stood up for what he believed,” Newton said. “He doesn’t bash people, he bashes the sin.”

Newton said Robertson’s celebrity will attract men who have never attended a rally. When they are at the Covelli Centre, they’ll hear testimonies and Christian messages.

“Phil Robertson will share his testimony and Christian values,” Newton said of the man who became a Christian in the 1970s. “He accepted God and it changed his life,” Newton said, adding that is an example for rally participants.

Newton said he and his wife, Peggy, read Robertson’s best-seller, “Happy, Happy, Happy.” “I followed God’s direction,” Newton said of how the idea of asking Robertson to speak at the rally came about.

“My wife suggested we take a vacation to West Monroe,” Newton said. They stayed at a motel within walking distance of the Duck Commander store and stopped in twice daily in hopes of bumping into a Robertson family member. Someone suggested the way to do that was to attend the Robertsons’ church — and so the Newtons did.

The Newtons picked a pew in the 1,000-member church, and behind them were the Robertsons. Lisa Robertson, Alan’s wife, sat in the same pew as the Newtons. The Newtons started a conversation with Lisa Robertson, a booking agent for the family.

In later conversation with Phil Robertson, the reality TV personality asked Newton about Ohio’s ducks and deer. Newton mentioned the 2014 rally, and Phil Robertson responded that was “a good date” for him. Lisa Robertson told the Newtons that the family gets between 200 and 400 requests daily for public appearances.

Bob Weber, rally press secretary, said the organization had sent emails and a packet on the event but didn’t know if the Robertsons ever saw them.

He agreed with Newton that Robertson will be a drawing card, but once at the event, men will hear uplifting and motivating messages from speakers. “Men will find friends within,” Weber said, adding that their acceptance of Jesus is meaningful. “They become better men, husbands, fathers and community residents.”

Weber added, “We’ve seen lives change.”

Since the rally began in 2010, the events typically draw between 3,000 and 4,000 men. Weber said between 6,500 and 7,000 seats will be available this year.

“Our ultimate goal at the rallies is to bring men into a relationship or closer relationship with Jesus. It’s powerful and meaningful,” Newton said of men’s transformations. The rallies aim to bring men “together in Christian unity for prayer, fellowship, worship and preaching.”

Newton noted his own experience.

The retired Salem High School teacher and track coach admitted he wasn’t a nice guy before he accepted Jesus.

“I wanted to be successful and important,” he said, noting concern for his student athletes was secondary. For some reason, he sent some athletes to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes meeting.

“A shot putter picked me up, looked me in the eye and said he loved me,” Newton recalled of an encounter that followed. “Everything changed for me.” When students’ welfare came first and winning second, he said, his life and career took a more fulfilling direction.

That’s the experience he hopes men attending the rally achieve.

Comments

1questionreality(296 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

YSU's next president?

2glbtactivist(255 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Can't believe this group would spend that much money to have a looser lead them. He supports girls being forced to marry at age 15. He believes the woman's place is in the home, not having a job or career. He represents the opposite of everything I thought this group represented. Who are the leaders that chose this fool just because he is on TV.

3SansArmes(17 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Phil Robertson is the principle reason why I will not be attending the rally.

4bunkpatrol(94 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

If a hole opened up and swallowed all in attendance, very few things could advance this city any better.

5rickking123(304 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Pretty sad the vitriol coming from some of the posters here.

If you don't like Phil's Biblical message then don't go to hear it. Or is it because you believe that since you don't agree with what he has to say that he has no right to say it? That's the more logical explanation.

And by the way Phil went to college, was a better quarterback than Terry Bradshaw, and started a company that was based on something he loved doing and now that company makes millions of dollars and employs a lot of people. Now isn't that a success story or are you people to biased to even agree?

6redeye1(4564 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Phil is the reason I will be attending this year. You can see by most posts here that the posters are jealous of a man who speaks his mind. Secondly maybe if we did go back to the old days we would have a better city , country etc. When moms were at home , kids were taught right from wrong. Today most parents think of their kids only as tax deductions or more money in their welfare checks. What the real shame is that most posters don't understand how when women moved into the work place. They cost many a man their jobs and raise the prices of products.

7hurrdurr(98 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

How do you write an article about Phil Robertson and mention none of the controversy? I guess we should give a warm Valley welcome to this hick hatemonger.

It would probably be a good idea to have guards posted at the southern border of Mahoning County to prevent people like Bing Newton from poisoning civilized society.

8SansArmes(17 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@rick,
Oh, he has the right to say anything he wishes I just don't have to swallow it.
I suppose he appeals to a certain crowd, but as I said before I won't be attending this year.
While I'm certain I won't be missed, that's not what the rally is for.
The way I understand it, the rally is intended for my benefit.

9rickking123(304 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Sans
For your benefit? Then I suggest you find a speaker that you want to hear and invite him to your house.

In all honesty you're never going to find a speaker that pleases everyone. I imagine that even if Jesus Christ would return in the flesh posters here would complain about his message.

10papa1(677 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

remember when you're listening to this hypocrite with his scraggle long beard and shabby clothes that he is a multi-millionaire. suckers!

11SansArmes(17 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@ rick,
I'll be more specific then, these rallies are for the spiritual enrichment and encouragement of the attendees.

As a prior attendee, I considered that to be accruing to my personal benefit.

12rickking123(304 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Sans
So you never heard his story of how he came to know Christ and how his life changed afterward? Isn't that a story of spiritual enrichment and encouragement?

13SansArmes(17 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@rick,
Before you were sarcastically questioning my statement about my attendance being "for my benefit".

Yes, I have heard his story of coming to know Christ and that is wonderful. But, he does not need a ovation from anyone, for his coming to know Christ is the best reward he could ever hope for.

Again, for clarity, MY attendance is for MY spiritual enrichment, and for MY spiritual encouragement; and I am not suggesting that I don't need enrichment or encouragement

Mr. Richardson's womanizing, abusive and drunken past is not something I can relate to. Perhaps others can.

I don't even have much exception to his understanding of Christ's teachings, however I do have some problems with his understanding of the Old Testament (e.g. mankind were all vegetarians before the Great Flood, and his rejection of intelligent design).

14GoPens(397 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I've known Bing for awhile. Thought he had more sense than this.

15rickking123(304 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Sans
Thanks for the interesting discourse.
Have a good evening.

16RWeber(1 comment)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

This is not the complete article and there are six other speakers on the Rally schedule. Mike Singletary, Rod Hairston, Ken Johnson, Pastor Freddie Rodriguez, Pastor Tarone Claybrook and Dr. Dave Migloire. I would
encourage a complete reading of the whole article for the whole story. I had to pick up a Vindicator at a local retailer to see it all. God Bless and Shalom.

17tnmartin(247 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Might just go. As always, the ones who really should be there, won't be. I'm aware enough of my own sins and failing to know that I need help that only comes from Above. Perhaps others are more advanced than I. Or at least they think so.

18sirkibble(1 comment)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I love how these radical Christians always say they are bashing the sin, not the person sinning. It's the same thing. It's just that they are rationalizing in their head that it's ok since they're just bashing the sin. In effect, they're actually judging the person who is "sinning" but in a round about way.

19SansArmes(17 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@rick
And thank you as well, have a good day!