Taxpayers can’t afford new school

Published: Wed, March 5, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

Taxpayers can’t afford new school

When I need a new roof, I don’t tear my house down; I put on a new roof. As far as matching funds for building a new Fitch High School, there is something to think about.

If someone offers you a $5 million mansion, you can’t sell it, you have to live in it and can’t rent it out for profit, then you have to maintain it, pay all taxes and insurance on it. Would you accept it? No, because 90 percent of us couldn’t afford the upkeep. The same is true here with the proposed new high school. Austintown schools can’t afford it, we taxpayers can’t afford it, but they want it.

Andy Pappagallo Sr., Austintown

Urge lawmakers to oppose bill that would hurt disabled

Ohio House Bill 333 should be a wake-up call for the disabled community of this state.

This bill, introduced by Rep. Michael Stinziano, D-41st, last November is in the hands of the House Judiciary Committee. It is intended to protect landlords and business owners against “frivolous” lawsuits filed by disabled individuals with repeated requests for renovations or accessibility access in rental housing units.

The Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law by the first Bush administration in 1990. This legislation protects the civil rights of the disabled population. However, if HB 333 is passed, it will decrease compliance by giving landlords and businessmen the opportunity to ignore accessibility laws if no complaints come from the disabled community within 120 days.

Therefore, HB 333 is unconstitutional, as it may be inconsistent with the ADA of 1990, which is a federal law.

As an officer with the Ohio Association of the Deaf, I urge the disabled community in the Mahoning Valley to make an effort by contacting representatives to voice opposition to this misguided bill that would proliferate barriers if passed this year. A strong voice from all disabled will bring the Ohio Bill 333 to its defeat. Take action.

Irene Tunanidas, Poland

Tunanidas is vice president of the Ohio Association of the Deaf.

Comments

1Atowncomm(14 comments)posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Regarding the Letter about building a new high school...Your information is not accurate.

You cannot compare house repairs to repairs needed on a school building. The high school building needs MANY more major renovations- like plumbing, electrical, HVAC and more.

Also, the State recognized that most school districts do not have the money to maintain the new buildings. Therefore, they required the schools to include a .5mil in the Bond Issue that passed in 2010 for maintenance. That .5mil can only be used on buildings that the State helped to pay. The school districts who received this State money must also have a Maintenance Plan that the State monitors to ensure proper upkeep.

With no money for MAJOR renovations, the high school building will continue to deteriorate. We don't want the high school to turn into a situation like the old AMS where ceilings collapsed and we were forced to build a new building with 100% of the cost paid for by the taxpayers!

Pay half now or 100% later!

With the State offering to pay almost half of the new building costs, this is too good of a deal to pass up.

2Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I am retired and on a fixed income now, I am working part time to make ends meet. I pay $2100 a yr. property tax which is eating up any extra money I have. I live in Mineral Ridge, Austintown township. When I 1st moved here our little section of Austintown in Mineral Ridge wanted to be part of Weathersville, so the brains of Austintown let the whole community vote on it instead of only the people in our neighborhood, it got voted down not to my surprise. The school can do alot to cut back, Superintendent and a Asst. Superintendent? Principle and vice principle for every grade? On paper it looks good with state paying for almost half, but if you can't afford it you can't afford it. The tax payers are taxed out. The problem I see is alot of the kids are living in apartments or rental property's and their parents aren't paying crap. If you guys get the new school 5 yrs down the road another levy because you can't afford the upkeep. We are being taxed illegal to fund schools it is a proven fact sleeping in courts right now.

3Atowncomm(14 comments)posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago

There is no Asst Superintendent, nor are there asst Principals for every grade.

And most of the students in Austintown do NOT live in apartments.

The Austintown schools have had to make reductions like everyone else.

I, too, live on a fixed income. If you cannot afford this, vote no. But don't vote no for the wrong reasons.

If this Bond Issue for a new high school does not pass, we WILL PAY 100% of a new building. Then, how are we going to afford for that?!

This IS for our children and grandchildren!

4Busdriver42(16 comments)posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It seems to me neglect on whomever takes care of the maint. on fixing small problems before they get to big problems. I have two boys who live in Austintown and neither choose to send their kids to austintown. You have teachers who live in Austintown who don't send their kids to Austintown, I know this for a fact, does this tell you something about the school system?

5Atowncomm(14 comments)posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I asked about maintenance and the HS building has been maintained. From what I understand, we have MAJOR systems that need to be replaced.

Just like we maintain our homes, eventually things need to be replaced!

Regarding teachers and others that choose to send their children to other schools, that's their choice. Some have very good reasons such as some people teach or work in other school districts and choose to take their children with them. My point is that we cannot make assumptions or implications as to the parents' choices.

Also, just the same, many parents choose to send their children to Austintown schools for a better education or possibly teach or work in our community.

6billdog1(1804 comments)posted 9 months, 3 weeks ago

jrolley, property taxes will pay for the schools. Those that rent, don't pay property taxes.

7rickking123(312 comments)posted 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Billdog
Show me a landlord that doesn't pass along his costs to his tenants and I'll show you a landlord that will lose his shirt in a very short time. Property taxes are factored into the cost of rent. Too bad you don't realize that.