Warren substitute teacher convicted of lesser charge in spanking case

Published: Fri, June 27, 2014 @ 10:58 p.m.

Staff report

WARREN

A 63-year-old McDonald man was convicted of a reduced charge Thursday in Warren Municipal Court after being accused of assaulting two students while serving as a substitute gym teacher in the Warren City Schools.

John A. Jerome pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was placed on one year of probation.

Police were called to the Willard K-8 building in March and charged Jerome with misdemeanor assault after he purportedly spanked an 8-year-old boy and 7-year-old girl.

School officials said Jerome had been certified to work as a substitute teacher since the 2010-11 school year, but it was unclear how often he had worked in the district.

He will not work as a substitute teacher in Warren schools in the future, and the school district filed a notice Thursday with the Trumbull County Educational Service Center recommending that he not work as a substitute teacher elsewhere in the county, school officials said at the time.

Nick Graham, assistant Warren law director, said there was bruising on one of the children. A videotape of the incident indicated that the gym class had gotten “out of control, and he didn’t handle them properly,” Graham said.

The school district corporal-punishment policy says spanking or hitting by a school-district employee is not permitted. Ohio law outlawed the use of corporal punishment in Ohio public schools in 2009.

Comments

1kleener(44 comments)posted 1 month ago

Probation? Where is this guy's medal? Someone needs to control the out of control kids because their parents..and I use that term loosely, don't.

2Jerry(487 comments)posted 1 month ago

I think I wrote this before under prior articles on this issue.

When I was in elementary school, if I had come home and told my parents that a teacher had spanked or otherwise struck me; the only question they would have asked would have been "What did YOU do to deserve it??"

They then would have determined what my punishment at home was going to be, while I wrote my apology letter to the teacher.

3LtMacGowan(634 comments)posted 1 month ago

I would have asked the same thing to my child and punished him accordingly at home, but then I'd break that teacher's wrist in 5 places for putting his hands on my child.

4KidsRpeople2(2 comments)posted 1 month ago

6/26/2014 Congresswoman McCarthy reintroduced (3rd time in congress) the Ending Corporal Punishment in Schools Act of 2014 today to withhold federal funding from educational institutions that allow corporal punishment of students.

America's Public Schools use sexual violence to hit, spank or paddle over 200,000 children k-12 each year with approx. 20,000 seeking emergency medical treatment, known as corporal pain punishment, with No Way to prevent cell phone recording and sharing of school paddlings of children, legal and protected by 1977 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 19 states today, even against written parental prohibition, prohibited in schools in 31 states and prohibited by federal law in ALL U.S. prisons.

Watch 3 minute YouTube video trailer "The Board of Education" Documentary Movie by Jared Abrams about Corporal Punishment of Children in America's Public Schools.

See 2008 Report "A Violent Education" by Human Rights Watch and ACLU for disturbing facts including photos of actual shaved baseball bats used by educators to hit children in America's public schools.

5Jerry(487 comments)posted 1 month ago

@KidsRpeople2

OMG!!! How barbaric we were in the twentieth century into the 50s and 60s when we actually abused our children in such a horrendous manner. How did anyone ever survive???!!!

Well just thank goodness that we are so much more enlightened and civilized now, have finally cracked down on this totally out-of-control over disciplining, and our children are becoming so much better adjusted and less violent....................oh, wait................never mind.

My parents spanked me as a child, and as a result I now suffer from a mental disorder known as Respect for Others.

6r0n724(62 comments)posted 1 month ago

And this is exactly why we have the idiot kids that we have these days. This guy should be commended for warming the back sides of these 2 kids. Further more.. it's a wonder this guy stuck it out as a teacher for this long. I lasted all of 3 yrs after college before I developed a hatred for teens..and quit because I knew it wouldn't be long before I beat the crap out of some smart mouthed little moron!