New Tressel era begins at YSU

Published: Sat, June 21, 2014 @ 12:01 a.m.

By DENISE DICK

denise_dick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Two nameplates sit in Jim Tressel’s presidential office on the second floor of Tod Hall at Youngstown State University.

One bears his name with “Dedicated to Excellence” etched beneath it. The other reads, “There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don’t mind who gets the credit.”

During his interviews for the YSU president’s job, Tressel talked a lot about teamwork and making decisions by building consensus.

Now he’ll have a chance to put that philosophy to work.

Friday was Tressel’s first day on campus as acting president, his title through June 30 when Interim President Ikram Khawaja, who is on vacation, retires. Tressel becomes president July 1.

He spent the day meeting with various people and groups on campus and made an appearance at the Summer Honors Institute for gifted high school students.

It’s similar to how he’s spent time since being named YSU president in mid-May.

“Every minute you spend can in preparation helps,” Tressel said. “I’ve spent pretty much every vacation I could get from [the University of] Akron here.”

He said one of his initial priorities is alignment: “I want to get to know people, to maximize their talents and give them a chance to go do it.”

Also priorities, he said, are clearly articulating the university’s vision and getting things such as collective bargaining and preparation for the start of fall semester completed.

Tressel used his time at YSU between his being named president and taking office to build relationships and to talk with students, employees, retirees and others about the university.

“It reinforced what I knew — that they all love this place where they work or go to school” and it’s made a lasting impression and impact on their lives, he said.

The new president acknowledged the challenges facing the institution: declining enrollment and less money from the state, a reduced budget that led to layoffs and negotiations with the two largest employee unions on campus.

“It’s hard for negotiations to go well when you have budget constraints,” he said. “It’s a difficult time.”

Tressel plans to allow the people who have been involved in the process to continue to work on it.

“I’ve talked to people on both sides socially at the press conferences and the events, and they want the same thing,” Tressel said. “They want what’s best for students, and they want to be treated fairly.”

Comments

1Chessiedad(122 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Are you kidding me??? What an "ego-maniac" this guy is, having the audacity to attach his name to slogans like "Dedicated to Excellence" and the other "...no limit..." one! Does he think we forgot he was "Dedicated to Lying and Cheating". Oh yeah, there's "no limit to what you can accomplish" when you lie and cheat! Am I the only one seeing the irony in this article? I'm hoping the author penned it with a great amount of " intentional sarcasm" because if she didn't, well then she needs to "brush up" on her J.T. history!

2arod(259 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Get a life Chessiedad, this guy has done more good in the past week than most people do in their life. How many kids lives has he bettered through coaching football. Yeah, he wasn't truthful while at tOSU, he was trying to protect the kids and you're going to criticize him for that? This guy will raise 10x's the amount of money the past 2 presidents of YSU did.

3georgejeanie(768 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Arod,it could not Be that he was trying to protects his own little fiefdom at ohio state , that never occurred to you. Looks like $$$ is your main concern and to hck with ethics and morals. I do hope he is the best president YSU has had and can deal with exorbitant salaries and benefits which these professors are demanding.

4IslandMike(750 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Let the crying begin!!

5IslandMike(750 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Let the crying begin!!

6Millerh113(107 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

I wish people would stop referring to college football players as "KIDS."

7Chessiedad(122 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Let's see....having full knowledge of rule violations, and in some cases, criminal activities, perpetrated by the "kids" you are in charge of, and deciding it's in their "best interest" to stay "mum" about it. Then feign ignorance when the truth comes out? Arod, you betcha, I'm going to be critical of that! How in the world you could construe that as "protecting the kids", is beyond me! I sure hope you don't have any impressionable youth in your charge, if you think that's appropriate behavior. I was always taught to "lead by example", so if that's the "example" Tressel is leading by, it's no wonder this Valley is continually mired in corruption and shame! And in regards to georgejeanie's comment, it's very apparent that "$$$$" is always placed before "ethics and morals", as evidenced by the Tressel hiring along with the countless cases of corruption by public officials in the Mahoning Valley. Sad but true.

8gdog4766(1415 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Jim,show your true colors and rescind the 15 job abolishment based on highly questionable financial info. These are 15 families having their lives throw into turmoil by a inept administration. Do it now Jim be a hero again!

9ytowntomg(24 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Best thing to happen to Youngstown since Handel's opened their second location!

10lovethiscity(141 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

The people who support Tress can mop the floor with the lickspittles like Chessiedad. So you just keep heckling from the nose bleed bleachers. While they throw their considerable support behind making Jim the most successful President in YSU's history.

11Chessiedad(122 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Teacher to little Johnny: "Johnny, why did you cheat on your math exam?" Little Johnny to Teacher: "well, Teach, it's like this. I didn't study because you know I'm the best in the class, at math, and you know it, and the Principal knows it, so why play by the rules"? Teacher to little Johnny: "Johnny, you get an "A+" on your math exam, and for that matter, all of your other exams, because you and your awesome math skills are going to bring "fame and fortune" to you and I and the Principal and the school!"...apparently, lovethiscity and all of the other J.T. supporters are good with that scenario, but for me....no thanks. I'll try my best, and if I fail, I can still hold my head up high, with my honor and integrity, intact. And, lovethiscity, by "considerable support" I presume you mean $$$$$, so if you are willing to throw out ethics and morals for cash, you just might be a great candidate for a political office, here in "this city".

12lovethiscity(141 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

The ethics and morals of those I speak are unimpeachable. Your motives, Chessiedad, for the slanderous aspersions you cast are not. And you are about to find out the cost.

13Chessiedad(122 comments)posted 1 month, 1 week ago

Once again, no cognizant rebuttal, just insidious threats from another "Saul Alinsky" wannabe. I state the facts, and when they don't fit your "narrative", all of a sudden it's "slander" and "aspersions"....hilarious!

14sdave720(1 comment)posted 1 month ago

Jim, welcome aboard!

You're off to a positive start which is to be commended, and dare I say refreshing here at YSU.

Let the Joe Dog's and Negative Nancy's of the world be bygones. Good Riddance to the naysayers!

Stay positive Jim. Stay the course. Your true colors have always been Ohio pride!

I'm excited to work with you toward accomplishing the universities goals. We can't change the past, but we can change the future, together!

Go Penguins!

15Chessiedad(122 comments)posted 1 month ago

Well, I see there is another person "blinded" by that "sweater vest" personality! At least I give credit that they did acknowledge a "tarnished" past history in commenting that "We can"t change the past"' but therein lies the issue. Lying and cheating are forgiven, as long as the cash comes rollin' in!! A great "teachable moment" for our youth...ethics and morals be damned, as long as you succeed! I'm sorry, but "honor and integrity" far outweigh "money and success" in my book, and I pity those who are willing to forsake the former, in pursuit of the latter.