Plaques missing in Poland Forest

Published: Fri, June 20, 2014 @ 12:01 a.m.

photo

Dorothy Butler of Youngstown stands next to the rock that displayed the Butler family plaque in Poland Municipal Forest. The plaque was taken sometime before the sudden death of former forest board president Robert Zedaker Jr. in early January. Poland Village Police Chief Russell Beatty Jr. said no report has been filed on the matter.

By ROBERT CONNELLY

rconnelly@vindy.com

POLAND

Three bronze plaques were stolen from Poland Municipal Forest, including one marking the original donation of more than 200 acres by the Butler family.

That plaque marks Butler Circle, which sits about a quarter mile into the forest from the College Street entrance with the Bremner

Shelter and the Zedaker Pavilion. The Mitchell entry plaques also were discovered missing about the same time as the Butler plaque.

Joe Mazur, village council president, said the plaques were first noticed missing over the winter, maybe four to five months ago and before the death of Robert Zedaker Jr., Poland Municipal Forest Board president, in early January. Zedaker’s wife, Elinor, later was appointed to president as she wants to finish what her husband had begun.

Dorothy Butler, a descendant of the Butler family, said she only recently discovered the plaque was gone.

She said many have presumed that all three plaques, which were brass, were stolen and sold for scrap, as they were taken at once.

“It’s such an atrocity and this has just gone on too far,” she said. “Who are these people paying cash for this?”

“If [someone] would report it to us, we would follow up on it,” Beatty said. He added that he is surprised no report had been filed as of Tuesday afternoon, but Zedaker said the forest board will meet with the police department about the matter soon.

“What can you report? I have no detail. I can’t tell where they are,” Mazur said.

Beatty said the police get monthly reports from area scrapyards and pawnshops about acquisitions.

Butler and Zedaker talked about alternative ways to recognize the people honored by the plaques. An etching in a rock is one of the possibilities. Zedaker said her husband “was looking into it and [had] some bids from various dealers” before his death.

The plaques are on the agenda for the next forest board meeting later this month, Zedaker said.

Butler has the photo of the original ceremony of the dedication of Butler Circle from May 1, 1970. Grace Butler, who was 90 at the time of the ceremony, was honored for the family’s donation of more than 200 acres that the Poland Municipal Forest sits upon. Land has been added on since the original donation from the Butler family and is now more than 265 acres, according to an information pamphlet from the forest board.

Anyone wanting to help with the cost of replacing the missing signs can send a donation to the Poland Forest Foundation, Atty. Robert Lenga, Poland Village Hall, 308 S. Main St., Poland, OH 44514. Zedaker said that anyone who sends in a donation should indicate on the memo line that the funds should go toward the sign-replacement effort.

Comments

1hmm(184 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Discovered 4 or 5 months ago and no report made YET kind of irresponsible of the trustees don't you think ..... If I were the donors I would want to know why it wasn't reported back then....

2JoeFromHubbard(1137 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Dorothy doesn't look too sad about the missing plaque.

3iBuck(226 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Hrmph. I put part of the blame on the Shrub and Obummer, Clinton, and GHW and the Federal Reserve Board for 100 years of inflation and for 25-50 years (or maybe it's 125 years) of excessive importation of cheap, young, pliant, low-skilled foreign labor with flexible ethics. It's driven down the economy, and it's driven down morality, while in the past the ethical people in a field could simply refuse to do unethical things at work.

So, the prices of copper and brass are up, employment is down, while population and over-crowding are up... and the governments (local, state, federal) are more power-mad and corrupt than ever in the USA.

4topper11(181 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Hey mom look at me I got my picture in the paper ain't I cute .

576Ytown(1307 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

This family donated 200 acres of land, a simple plaque honoring their donation has been stolen and here come the entitlement folks - poking fun about the picture. I think that any other act of philanthropy in this area should be thought about long and hard since it's truly not being appreciated.

6DButler(1 comment)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Hi, this is Dorothy Butler. Last week when the photo was taken, I spent a lovely Father's day with my dad, boyfriend, and two dogs at the forest. We all posed for many photos that afternoon. The Vindicator editorial staff chose this particular one, something I had no control over. @Joe From Hubbard, I agree that my facial expression is indeed "not sad". However, I can assure you, I have been quite sad after the discovery of the plaque being stolen. I was, however, happy to be surrounded by the beautiful natural setting of the forest with my loved ones and feel a sense of pride and joy whenever I am there. Oh and @"Topper 11"... I truly wish that I could have shared this with my mother, who loved the forest, but unfortunately... she died in 2000 from breast cancer.
Thank you for the kind words of support Jordanb and 76Ytown. I appreciate it very much.

7JoeFromHubbard(1137 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

@ DButler:

I guess I should be a bit more careful with some of my "wise cracks" but you did the right thing by presenting a pleasant smile.

That's more than I could do under the circumstances as I would be highly enraged by such an act of theft and disrespect.

I hope this issue is properly resolved for you and your family.