Sisters of the Humility of Mary marking 150th year

Staff report


This summer, the Sisters of the Humility of Mary will celebrate 150 years in the United States.

In 1864, the entire community of 11 sisters, along with four orphans, immigrated to America from France. The foundress, Mother Madelaine, had died three months before the voyage.

The sisters began their ministry of education in America by teaching children of French settlers in Louisville, Ohio, and establishing the motherhouse now known as Villa Maria Community Center. They were led by Mother Anna Tabourat, the American foundress.

The sisters established an elementary school, which eventually became Villa Maria High School, a college-preparatory school that continued until 1989. Today, the buildings are used for the Villa Education Center, which provides afterschool and summer programs, school-year retreats and other opportunities for high school and elementary students.

Regional services will celebrate the anniversary. A prayer service will take place at 7 p.m. June 25 at St. Louis Church, 300 N. Chapel St., Louisville, with a reception following.

A liturgy is planned at 2 p.m. July 20 at Villa Maria Community Center, 225 Villa Marie Road, followed by a reception.

A prayer service will take place at 7 p.m. Sept. 12 at Magnificat High School Auditorium, 20770 Hilliard Blvd., Rocky River, Ohio, and will include a reflection by Sister Carol Zinn, presisdent of Leadership Conference of Women Religious, and reception.

From 9:45 a.m. to noon Sept. 13, there will be a special presentation by Sister Zinn at Villa Maria Community Center with lunch following.

All services are free and open to the public. For reservations, call 724-964-8920, ext. 3274, or email celebration date and number attending to Deadline is two weeks before each celebration.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.