The 4-month-old baby girl injured by an errant firework July 4 is back home with her family.
Vindicator broadcast partner 21 WFMJ-TV reported that Aubree McCormick was released from the Akron Children’s Hospital burn unit Sunday.
Family members at the time of the injury said the baby was in her playpen with them on a front porch in the 200 block of East Lucius Avenue as they watched neighbors set off large fireworks.
A 10-year-old neighbor kicked over a lit tubular firework, which shot into and ignited the playpen and burned the baby, a witness told police.
The baby’s grandmother, Carol McCormick, suffered burns on her hands while rescuing the baby from the fully engulfed playpen, according to a police report.
Kiarra Jackson, Aubree’s mother, told 21 News that Aubree is progressing quickly. Her burns appear to be the worst on her ears and hands.
Jackson said doctors told her Aubree is healing quickly.