A 4-month-old baby was flown by helicopter to Akron Children’s Hospital in Akron after she was critically burned by fireworks on the city’s South Side at about 10 p.m. Friday.
Family members said the baby was in her playpen with them on a front porch in the 200 block of East Lucius Avenue as they watched neighbors set off large fireworks.
A 10-year-old neighbor kicked over a lit tubular firework, which shot into and ignited the playpen and burned the baby, a witness told police.
The baby’s grandmother, Carol McCormick, suffered burns on her hands while rescuing the baby from the fully-engulfed playpen, according to a police report.
Family members rushed the victim in their car to Akron Children’s Hospital in Boardman, from which the victim was flown to the hospital’s Akron burn unit, suffering first-, second- and third-degree burns.
The names of the baby and her 17-year-old mother were edited out of the police report that was available Sunday night.
There were eight deaths and more than 11,000 people hurt from fireworks in the U.S. in 2013, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.