Cord sparked blaze that killed firefighter
A high-rise blaze that killed a fire lieutenant started in a pinched electrical cord in a cluttered apartment, fire officials said Sunday, adding that the fire had been ruled accidental.
An air-conditioner cord was pinned between a bed frame and a wall in the 19th-floor Brooklyn apartment, where Lt. Gordon Ambelas became trapped Saturday night while looking for possible victims, Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said as investigators probed the conflagration responsible for the Fire Department of New York’s first line-of-duty death in more than two years.
Earlier Sunday, firefighters solemnly hung flag bunting at the Brooklyn firehouse where Ambelas had worked for the last several months of his 14-year career as residents returned to the building where he had died.
Canada cleans up after Arthur strikes
HALIFAX, Nova Scotia
Arthur was moving across Newfoundland on Sunday a day after striking Canada’s Maritime provinces with near-hurricane strength winds and torrential rains, knocking down trees and leaving tens of thousands of people without power.
Environment Canada lifted all storm warnings in the Atlantic region in the wake of the potent storm.
Arthur had been downgraded from a hurricane to a post-tropical storm Saturday before it slammed into Atlantic Canada, but the storm still packed a punch, drenching parts of New Brunswick and knocking out power to more than 250,000 customers at its peak intensity.
Trying to determine video’s authenticity
Iraq security agencies are working to verify the authenticity of a video that purportedly shows the elusive leader of the Sunni extremist group that has declared an Islamic state in a large chunk of territory it controls leading prayers this week in northern Iraq, authorities said.
The video said to show Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the head of the Islamic State group, was reportedly filmed Friday at the Great Mosque in Iraq’s second-largest city, Mosul.
It was posted on at least two websites known to be used by the organization and bore the logo of its media arm.
TSA: Prepare to turn on electronic devices
Passengers at some overseas airports that offer U.S.-bound flights will be required to power on their electronic devices in order to board their flights, the Transportation Security Administration said Sunday.
The TSA said it is requiring some overseas airports to have passengers turn on devices such as cellphones before boarding.
It says devices that won’t power up won’t be allowed on planes, and those travelers may have to undergo additional screening.
Calif. man blows off hands with fireworks
SAN JOSE, CALIF.
A Northern California man igniting illegal fireworks blew off both of his hands when a device exploded prematurely, police said.
Officer Albert Morales of the San Jose Police Department said the man, in his 40s, is expected to live.
The explosive went off in the man’s hands as family members stood nearby late on the Fourth of July holiday.
“It would have had to have been something pretty powerful,” Morales told the San Jose Mercury News.