Jail dryer fire causes damage to laundry area
A dryer fire at the Mahoning County Justice Center caused damage to the building’s laundry area.
The fire was reported at 3:55 p.m. Monday. The laundry area filled with smoke from the fire that started inside a dryer, according to a Youngstown fire report.
The jail’s sprinkler system worked, but was ineffective because the fire was inside the dryer.
The jail’s laundry supervisor told firefighters that inmate workers put linens in the dryer about 2:45 p.m. and there was nothing out of the ordinary about it. The fire is considered accidental, the fire report states.