Lemon, Rosemary and Olive Oil Shortbread
3cups white whole wheat flour
11/4cups powdered sugar
1teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary
1cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, rosemary and lemon zest.
2. Pour in olive oil and stir until all the dry mixture is incorporated. Transfer dough to a 9-by-9-inch baking pan. (Porcelain doesn’t require greasing but others will.)
3. Use fingers to squish dough into an even layer. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork. Bake until the surface feels firm to the touch and is lightly golden around the edges, about 45-55 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let pan cool 20 minutes. Then, using a very sharp knife, slice shortbread into 8 even columns and 4 even rows. Use small spatula to remove from pan.
2sticks butter, softened
1 1/2cups sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium-size mixing bowl, blend together softened butter, flour and sugar. Press into bottom of an ungreased 9-by-13-inch pan.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and golden.
4. In another bowl, whisk together filling ingredients of sugar and flour then add eggs and lemon juice. Pour over baked crust.
5. Bake an additional 20 minutes. Bars will firm up as they cool. Cut into squares.
Healing Hot Toddy
4cups boiling water
3teaspoons ginger root, grated
1/8teaspoon dry red chili flakes
1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Place grated ginger, crushed juniper berries, chili flakes and star anise in a tea infuser or cheesecloth bag. Set in mug. Pour boiling water over and allow to infuse for 5-7 minutes.
3. In each mug, pour lemon juice into mugs and add honey. Pour infused mixture into the mugs. Place a couple slices of lemon in mugs.
Note: Makes 2 servings. For an alcoholic version, add brandy, rum or whiskey.