McDaniels out of Browns coaching search

Published: Thu, January 9, 2014 @ 12:06 a.m.

The Canton native said he’s happy with his current job

Cleveland Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has taken himself out of the running for the Browns head coaching vacancy, a source confirmed for cleveland.com.

McDaniels, the Canton native, interviewed with the Browns on Saturday.

His decision was first reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

On Monday, McDaniels told reporters on a conference call that he loves his job with the Patriots and declined to elaborate on his interest in the Browns job.

“We met and that’s about all there is at this point,” McDaniels, 37. “Nothing, nothing further.”

McDaniels is helping prepare the Patriots for their meeting against the Colts on Saturday night in the divisional playoffs.

“I appreciate the question, and I understand it,” said McDaniels, a Canton native. “I know that’s something that comes up each time this year for other coaches. The opportunities are certainly flattering if they come up. That being said, I am going to try to keep my focus on the Colts and our preparation this week. Like I’ve said in the past, I’m fortunate to have the job I have, and I love being here. I love doing what I’m doing. Each opportunity that comes along is a little different and I’m going to leave it at that and continue to put my effort and attention into the Colts this week.”

McDaniels is one of the three NFL assistants the Browns have interviewed. The others are Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles. The Browns have also received permission to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, but he has declined overtures from the Browns and Vikings until the Broncos are out of the playoffs.

On Wednesday, the Browns were in Green Bay to interview Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo.

McDaniels has long been on the radar of Browns general manager Mike Lombardi, and has also long been admired by Browns CEO Joe Banner.

The Browns have also requested permission to talk to Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, and are reportedly interested in Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, whose team lost to Florida State in the BCS national championship game Monday night.

The Broncos will face the Chargers Sunday in Denver.

“I told both teams that were interested in me that I appreciated it and I was going to wait until after our season had concluded,’’ Gase said. “They were great about it. They said they appreciated me being upfront and honest about it, and I thought that was the best decision for what we are trying to accomplish with our team.”

Gase said if he decides to interview, it’s because he feels prepared for the job.

“If it comes down to it, where I actually do get a chance to interview for it—I wouldn’t interview if I didn’t think I was ready for that role,” he said. “But right now I have to focus on what we’re doing for the playoffs and it’s a one-game elimination tournament and I have to make sure my role is prepared for.”

Gase, 35, was the first candidate who surfaced the day after the Browns fired Rob Chudzinski.

Comments

1123goz(538 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Oh boy. So now the Lombardi-Banner super duo will have to "settle" again for a coach, while Chud gets shafted this year and the next guy will be thinking the same fate will be his. I suppose Chud had his problems, but to get booted so those clowns can get the fantasy boy they always wanted.....
Are they going to kiss McDaniels buttucks next year and fire another coach, just to get turned down again by the savior? Those clowns had no clue he wouldn't leave the Patriots? Or did they not convince him, or me, they know what they are doing?

2southsidedave(4777 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

OK, the next losing coach please step forward. Ha ha ha

3dd933(227 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Right! Northeast Ohio is the birthplace of professional football - that's why the Hall of Fame is in Canton - we deserve a better product than the Browns have provided for the last 15 years. Arguably the best football coaches in the world are from NE Ohio...Anybody ever heard of Chuck Noll or Don Shula? Why not try somebody with local roots?

4canfcard(63 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

DAMN!! I was hoping the clowns would pick this loser.

5dontbeafool(874 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

don't worry canfcard, they will pick a bigger loser.... Now if the QB coach from GB turns them down, then something is SERIOUSLY WRONG!

6MLC75(527 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

It's funny how Pittspuke fans are now crawling out from under their rocks.Where were you when,you got your a$$es kicked this year.

If anyone is a losers,it is the Pittspuke Squalers,enjoy the playoffs,ha ha .

7dontbeafool(874 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Beat the Browns twice....but then again, almost everyone beat the Browns. Playoffs? I am surprised you even have that word in your vocabulary, since you have been there like once in the last 30 years. I know you don't know what the Superbowl is.