Green Bay pulls away from YSU men

Staff report

Green Bay, Wis.

Four players scored in double figures but the Youngstown State men’s basketball team dropped an 85-69 decision to Green Bay on Saturday afternoon at the Resch Center.

Sophomore Bobby Hain led the Penguins (9-8, 0-2 Horizon League) with 18 points and seven rebounds and senior Kendrick Perry posted 14 points. Senior Kamren Belin and sophomore Ryan Weber added 12 and 11 points, respectively.

Green Bay junior Keifer Sykes just missed a triple double with 24 points, eight rebounds and nine assists and senior Alec Brown scored 20 points with three blocks. Greg Mays scored 16 points while sophomore Jordan Fouse added 10 for the Phoenix (11-3, 2-0), who have won six straight.

Green Bay, which overcame a 10-point first half deficit, shot 66.7 percent (22-of-33) from the field in the second half while the Penguins shot just 38.1 percent from the floor.

After falling behind by eight 46-38 just more than a minute into the second half, Hain split a pair of free throws, Perry converted an old-fashioned three-point play and Weber buried a 3-pointer to get the Penguins within one, 46-45, with 16:57 left.

Over the next five minutes, the Phoenix went on a 17-3 run to expand the lead to 15 points, 63-48.

The Penguins played an inspired first 17 minutes of the game and jumped out to a quick 11-4 lead with 16:01 left after a pair of free throws from Hain, a jumper from Belin and a layup by Weber.

Green Bay’s Kenneth Lowe’s three-point play got the Phoenix within two, 13-11, before the Penguins used a 10-2 run to extend their lead to 10, 23-13, with 12 minutes left.

Belin and Weber each nailed 3s and Hain added two jumpers to key the Penguins’ run.

Even when the Phoenix chipped the lead down to two, 25-23, at the 8:07 mark, the Penguins rebuilt their lead back to nine, 34-25, after a 3-pointer by DJ Cole, two free throws and a layup by Perry, and a layup by Marcus Keene with 4:43 left.

The Phoenix, though, closed out the half on a 15-4 run to take a 40-38 lead into the locker room at halftime.

The Penguins were called for six fouls in the final 41/2 minutes that led to six made free throws and an old-fashioned three-point play by Sykes.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.