Black community: Let's rally behind McNally

Published: Sat, January 4, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

When Jay Williams first took office as Youngstown’s mayor in 2006, I wrote a column imploring the city’s residents, particularly its black residents, to do whatever they could to ensure that Williams’ first mayoral term would be successful.

I asked black parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and guardians to partner with Youngstown City Schools teachers and administrators to improve the school system.

Finally, I urged the black community to eliminate littering. I had driven along many of the city’s East Side streets and saw bags of trash, sofas, tires and other unsightly items lining those thoroughfares.

The column’s purpose was to challenge the city’s black community to do all it could to ensure that Williams’ first mayoral term would be successful.

I received several emails and letters chastising me for “my racist comments.” One letter writer questioned why I didn’t write a column calling for these positive changes when white men were sitting in the city’s highest elected office.

Certainly I was baffled that a columnist who writes a minority-affairs column would be bashed for challenging those in his community to do the right thing.

Well, John A. McNally now is the mayor of Youngstown, and my challenge to my community remains the same: Let’s work together to make sure the mayor can do his job to enhance Youngstown’s reputation and pave the way for a brighter future.

McNally recently said, “Youngstown has its rough edges, but it has great people in it. It has proud people. I look forward to picking up the pace and to make it a better place than it is now.”

The mayor wants to work with the schools to see what the city can do to help their performance.

He added he also would like to expand mental-health and substance-abuse treatment to reduce pressure on the court system.

And, like other mayors before him, McNally wants to try to make the city a favorable place for business ventures. Economic development is high on his priority list.

Those are all plans everyone should want to embrace.

What my critics fail to realize when I wrote the 2006 column was that before Williams’ victory, no black person had ever been elected mayor.

Not only did Williams run and win as an independent — a feat unheard of in Youngstown politics — but he also was one of the youngest people elected mayor of an urban city.

Those were accomplishments to be applauded and acknowledged, and Williams finally succeeded where other black politicians who desired the city’s top seat had failed.

The column was never meant to disparage any past mayor.

The issue of race continues to be the tie that unbinds, unfortunately. The era of political correctness has made discussing the dynamics of race tenuous at best.

If you are a white person and criticize a black person, you can be called a racist or bigot. If you are a black person who lauds or praises a white person, you can be called an “Uncle Tom” or a sellout.

What is giving me greater cause to pause about McNally, however, is I’m just not sure the cloud of a possible federal indictment is going to fade away.

This paper and other media outlets have reported that McNally, along with other officeholders and a prominent businessman, were charged by the state with conspiring to undermine the relocation of the Mahoning County Job and Family Services agency from the McGuffey Mall, owned by the Cafaro Co., to the county-owned Oakhill Renaissance Place, the former Forum Health Southside Medical Center, on Oak Hill Avenue.

Trial was set to begin when the state dropped the charges because the FBI would not share the 2,000 hours of audio and video surveillance of at least one of the defendants in the state case, Anthony M. Cafaro Sr., former president of the Cafaro Co.

The charges can be re-filed.

How bad would it be for our city to have a sitting mayor indicted by the feds?

I guess McNally could still retain his job, but wouldn’t his ability to perform his mayoral duties be severely impacted as he prepared to defend himself in court?

Obviously, I wish our new mayor the best. I’ve known him for several years, and I know he loves this city.

The city charter, however, says the council president takes over as mayor if the sitting mayor cannot perform his duties for whatever reason.

That means council President Charles Sammarone, who already has served as mayor when Williams got the call from President Obama to come to Washington, D.C., in 2011, would again be mayor.

Ernie Brown Jr., a regional editor at The Vindicator, writes a monthly minority-affairs column. You can reach him at ebrown@vindy.com

Comments

1Silence_Dogood(1312 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

"I called for a severe reduction in black-on-black crime. I urged black folks to clean up our neighborhoods and properly maintain our properties."

As if you needed a Black Mayor to practice common civility.

2Attis(855 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

This is a call for the Black community to support the White mayor? Really? Then why the not-so-subtly expressed wish that he be indicted and removed from office?

3johnj(1 comment)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Well done Mr. Brown. Thanks for the voice of the reason. Your column was neither a call for calamity on the Mayor nor a racist rant, it was just a call to action and a good wish. You are to be commended for your thoughtfulness.

4twentyonetwelve(95 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Wow. Unbelievably racist. I have to ask. What if this was title of this article: White community: Let's rally behind McNally. Can you imagine? How does the Vindicator allow this? I wonder if Mr. Brown even realizes how much of a racist he is?

5Askmeificare(680 comments)posted 6 months ago

@ twentyonetwelve:

Why do you wish to take away freedom of speech from Ernie Brown Jr.? I am a white middle aged man and I did not read nor see anything in his article as racist.

Actually, 2112, I see your liberty at freedom of speech as racist in the sense I must ask if you are attempting to bully a man because of his race and THAT is a racist crime. Are you trying to keep the black man down?

The articles author is simply trying to involve community, white or black or orange or whatever, to unite community. AND he isn't calling out anyone particular except for a 'slight and soft' emphasis on the black race -alerting all citizens to an opportunity to unite as blacks alone, whites alone, whatever alone, AND as a community to come together.

You call Ernie Brown Jr., a racist when in fact he could be considered a community awareness organizer in the sense of offering a positive plan of action for all citizens to unite under and take action, and how is that racist?

Another positive plan of action was former Mayor Jay Williams plan titled, "Youngstown 2010", a citywide redevelopment plan aimed at re-shaping the city and helping to overturn its negative image. Is that a racist plan?

I believe the problem Ernie Brown Jr., is having is that he is a chief and there are too many community minded people, pulpit included, that want to be the top chief.

Case in point, look at the black community leaders that came forward when Mahoning County Democratic Party Chairman Atty. David Betras came forth and 'threw out' of the party those whom wouldn't support the party candidates. -All those 'chiefs'.

I feel Ernie Brown Jr., should be the top chief as indeed his 'pulpit' is comprised of thousands (tens of thousands) he is able to reach via his work as a published journalist and his ability to get a call to action with calm emotion. Pulpit preachers do not have it in them to have a call to action without inciting near riotous emotions and a riot in The City of Youngstown would be the near end of ALL of us -ALL races.

I have never met Ernie Brown Jr., but I would like to and shake his hand. I would like him to know I appreciate his unrewarded work. Work he continues to do when he feels no one is reading. Work he continues to do when he feels no one is listening. Work he continues to do when he feels like it doesn't matter. Work he continues to do because at times you simply do the job.

Allow me to share this bit of advice with you twentyonetwelve, when you have the opportunity to shake a real mans hand, do it.

6twentyonetwelve(95 comments)posted 6 months ago

@ificare...

And you missed the point. I am simply asking what the reaction would be if I got a job with The Vindicator and I entitled my article: White community: Lets rally around McNally. Then I titled my next article: Group helps young, white mothers obtain education goals. Wouldn't that be considered racist?? What if I was a Youngstown police officer and I started an organization of police officers and called it The White Knights. You would only be able to join if you were a white police officer. Is that racist? If I did those thing would you consider me a community organizer or a racist?

7Askmeificare(680 comments)posted 6 months ago

@ 2112:

As a white man I would not feel your actions would be racist, but world powers want the 'whities' to feel ashamed and guilty, etc..

My forefathers died trying to free slaves and I could easily ask where are my reparations?

I feel enough is enough and I thought you calling out Ernie Brown Jr., as a racist was too much. Your words weren't written as you had described in your comment to me so as I am sure you understand, were misleading and hence your or what was thought to be your intention, was misleading.

White, black, ornage, yellow, whatever-, there is more than enough trash to be taken out, but for whatever reason, in my gut, I just can't write the 'trash' off.

Well, not unless they are in prison for killing everyone in the house... because they were home...