Father files lawsuit against Mahoning County Children Services Board

Published: Thu, February 20, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

Staff report

STRUTHERS

Shawn Tedesco of Sharon, Pa., filed a lawsuit Wednesday seeking information from Mahoning County Children Services in the death of his 14-year-old son, Teddy Foltz.

Tedesco announced the action in front of 28 Creed St., the house where Teddy had been living — along with his younger twin brothers and his mother, Shain Widdersheim — at the time of his Jan. 26, 2013, death.

According to the lawsuit, between January and October 2012, Teddy repeatedly was identified to the children services agency as an abused child. As such, the agency was obligated to investigate but “acted negligently” by not actively investigating the household, it states.

Tedesco, represented by Atty. David Engler, seeks no less than $1.5 million. Randall B. Muth, who became executive director of the Mahoning County Children Services Board in June, declined to comment on the pending litigation.

Comments

1CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 7 months ago

I think they should be held accountable for not doing there job, if that is the case. But for Shawn to be awarded anything, i dont think so. He never saw his son and never went to court for visitation. In one of his posts ( on a open page ) he says he was waiting until his son was 18 to see him. Really ! 18 ! A son needs his father ! And i see from other posts he does not see his other children as well. Good Father Shawn !!! And now you want compensated !!!

2breezeyinpa(10 comments)posted 7 months ago

Shawn sees his kids so quit spreading lies Country girl. I am starting to wonder if you have an axe to grind with Shawn or if you are just a troublemaker. Keep it up Country girl I think people are starting to see you for who you are.

3CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 7 months ago

Not from what i hear ! When did he see his girls last ? DEADBEAT DAD !

4CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 7 months ago

He has what, 5-6 kids from what i hear. Does he support them all, see them ? But wants compensated for what. Father of the year ! LOL

5stuckinytown(18 comments)posted 7 months ago

They are all white trash. Looks like he just wants to get some $$$ out of this tragic event. Where was he at when all of this abuse was going on?

6TeamTeddy(5 comments)posted 7 months ago

For anyone questioning if i paid child support for Teddy. Please hit link below. Or goto Teddys law on facebook.

7Mia213(10 comments)posted 7 months ago

Shawn is a very dedicated dad, his wife and family are all very family oriented. Shawn's kids help their dad with all the events for Teddy, These kids are also grieving and very proud their dad is seeking justice for Teddy.
Most non custodial parents are unaware of the abuse suffered by their child. These abusers and their enablers use their self appointed powers to keep these kids isolated and quiet. Kids suffering abuse are threatened into silence, this is why these monsters get away with abuse for long periods of time.
As for comments of Shawn not paying child support, unless you can substantiate your claims, then do not throw stones! Shawn and his family are good, honest people. I will never understand the cruel and heartless remarks aimed at this poor family.

8CountryGirl51(197 comments)posted 7 months ago

But Shawn if you were in all your childrens
lives you would know what what was going on. I just dont understand why a father wouldnt pay in court for visitation. If you had with Teddy you would have gotten to see him and been there for him. I would think any parent would want to spend time with their kids, know what is going on in their life and spend time with them.

9Jplumbob(5 comments)posted 6 months, 4 weeks ago

Ok. I have remained quiet long enough. Mr Tedesco is no man of the year. To think about trying to become rich over the death of Teddy makes me sick. My wife was Teddy's godmother. In the 12+ years I have been married to my wife I met Shawn a total of 0 times. Before Shain met that monster Bush my wife and her were together all the time. Mr Tedesco made very few if any attempts to see Teddy. My wife adored that boy and so did I. After Teddy's death my wife was devastated. She even had to be off work for a period of time. Her therapy was to start a fund group and she put on a dinner and other events in Teddy's memory. Friends of Shawn accused her of pocketing the money raised and he decided to threaten her with a cease and desist. He told my wife and myself that a lawyer was drawing up the cease and desist orders. Really? Well it was a bluff because no order ever arrived. This low life is trying to take advantage of a horrible situation and wants something he does not deserve. Oh and about that child support paper he posted in Facebook. Take a good look at it. It says no payments posted in past 23 months. Mr. Tedesco if you are all you say you are I want to see a legal document stating that if you by very slight chance win this lawsuit that you are going to put 100% of it into children's charities. Not one single cent into your pocket.

10breezeyinpa(10 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Quiet long enough? I know your name very well jplumcause i actually just finished reading a police report on Teddy's death with your name in there because of how you defended Shain on Facebook. It is actually still on Shain's Facebook page about how close you guys are. The child support is 100% paid off Joe and if you had a brain you would know it. Shawn is not trying to get rich he is only trying to hold an agency accountable who did not do their job! Oh and by the way Joe all comments and communication(like your ignorant message to Shawn on Facebook) are going straight to the attorney.

11unite_in_humanity(5 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Jplumbob "My wife adored him and so did I" Okay - where were YOU during those years??????? "Her therapy was to start a fund group....." Her therapy??? This is about Teddy, his brothers and all the other millions of children that go abused year after year. I've seen your wife and read her statements that children need to learn they can speak up. No they can't - just like Teddy and his brothers - they know there's no law or person that can help them as it exists today. The laws have to change. If everyone would quit the blame game they could do something constructive to help other children that are going through the same exact thing as we speak.

12Jplumbob(5 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok Breeze you may want to read those reports again and read them very well. I was one of the first to go in to Struthers Police department and give a statement. Did you read it?? Of course not. I told someone that there was no reasons for those comments at the time. Wow really defending her. Oh wait what about this one "Shain, you need to get home and deal with this. The lies need to stop. Your baby boy dies and you were not even there for him." There are many more and not one single post defends her. Get your facts straight before you open that mouth of yours. I am glad my comments are going to the attorney. I have nothing to hide. He can file it with that cease and desist paper Shawn told my wife and I he was getting drawn up. I can post the messages that were sent if you would like. If Shawn is not trying to get any money from this lawsuit then he can state that all money from this lawsuit will go to children's charities. I would support him 100 percent if he does that.
I applaud some of the things Shawn is doing Teddy's law is definitely needed. Trying to get a few millions from children's services is wrong. That money should go towards better training of the staff and to the children not lining the pockets of one man his mouthy wife and their attorney.

13Jplumbob(5 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Unite_in_humanity, So who are you anyways? Do you know me at all? Do I know you? Where was I during those years? Right there trying to get Shain away from that monster. I tried many times to get Shain back into at least talking status with my wife and I failed. It bothers me every day. I feel if I had done something different Teddy would be here today. We adored Teddy and his brothers. Before she walked away from everyone to be with him my wife and here were together all the time with those wonderful children. Maybe I worded it wrong by saying "her therapy" but my wife wanted to do something to make a slight difference and has put her heart and soul in Hugs for Teddy (you were not there to see the pain my wife was in. Shain could have cared less and my wife was devastated). Her thanks was a threatened cease and desist letter and accusations that she was pocketing the funds (the spineless coward makes false accusations instead of asking for a look at the records).
Of course the laws have to change.
You are looking at the statement all wrong where my wife says children need to learn that they can speak up.
I will do whatever it takes to help a child. You do not know me. I have seen more than you will ever know during my career. I am not trying to do the blame game but on the other hand why sue an organization and take money that should be used for better training, background checks of employee ect. I support the need for changes to help the children and will support this lawsuit if and only if the lawsuit states that all monetary awards will be used towards Teddy's Law and other children's charities. Shawn should not profit at all from this.

14unite_in_humanity(5 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

jplumbob - No you don't know me and I do not know you. I do not intend to insult your wife - you can tell how much she truly loved Teddy. I, being a mother and a Godmother myself, cannot even fathom the pain she must feel. But I've been around Children Services, Family Service Agency, Catholic Service League and Guardian Ad Litem pretty much my entire life. Bottom line, CSB does not protect the children for many reasons. Their hands are tied by weak laws but they are also weak in their own internal policies and procedures. And they'll do ANYTHING to cover their mistakes and lapse in judgement. I totally agree with you that Shawn should not profit from this monetarily at all. No one should. But I think a lawsuit against CSB is a wake up call. They've never had to be held accountable before and they don't use their resources now for better laws, staff, training, etc. It makes me sick to read the Investigator Note on teddyslaw.org and read how interim director Dave Arnold was trying to brush it under the rug. So typical of CSB!!!!! I am from Poland and some other points that should be pointed out to the public is "Shane's attorney" Damian Degenova is a lifelong friend of Zaryl's brother. Zaryl has always been a loser and he would always call on his older successful brother to clean up his messes. In addition, when they went to 2378 Cyde to interview the twins while Teddy was in the hospital, they were in the care of Zaryl's mother. Of course they weren't going to speak up then. In addition, she owns the house where he killed Teddy. I think the word is called ENABLERS!! My interest in this story is that maybe FINALLY something will be done to help innocent children who are tortured and murdered everyday by these monsters. And maybe with the publicity that this story has received that others will learn something from it should they ever be in the same situation.

15breezeyinpa(10 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Mouthy wife? Wow that's really rude. You do not know me and I don't know you. All I do know is you threatened Shawn after the cease and desist was brought up. Going to deny it? Cause I could post that for all to see. I'm a educated woman who loves her husband and will stand beside him til my dying breath. All he wants is to make sure this does not happen to other children. I don't see anyone else out there putting the hard work into changing things for innocent children. Did you ever ask Shawn what the plans are? Or did you take an assumption and post it on here to try to make Shawn look bad? And who tried to say your wife was pocketing money? Never came from anyone in this household. Shawn will never deny his mistakes but he shouldn't be put down for his hard work to save children from any of the abuse Teddy went thru. Oh and by the way yes I can read and did spend numerous hours reading the hundreds of pages in the police reports. Do you have a copy to know what's in there? I'm sure if you wanted Shawn would sit down with the report and you could read it if you don't. I'm pleading with you to stop making more tears for me by putting my husband down.

16Jplumbob(5 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Calling you a mouthy wife was a bit harsh and my apologies. But it's wrong that you accused me of sticking up for Shain. That was further from the truth and that really bothers me. I already feel like I failed Teddy because I had been in contact with Shain trying my best to reestlablish the friendship between her and my wife. I always think that if I had been successful the results would have been different. I have that weighing on me. My comments were out of line.