Ryan, other leaders pen support for Tressel's YSU candidacy

Published: Wed, February 19, 2014 @ 5:58 p.m.

The "Jim Tressel for YSU President" movement is gaining momentum. U.S. Rep Tim Ryan and a group of business and community leaders have sent the following letter to Youngstown State University’s Board of Trustees:

Dear Board Member,

As long time supporters of Youngstown State University, we are writing to offer our full and unequivocal support behind Jim Tressel to be the next President of Youngstown State University. We hope that the Board considers moving expeditiously to make this happen. We all have known Jim personally for many years and strongly believe that he will bring all of the skill and experience needed to lead Youngstown State University forward. He understands the importance of YSU's relationship to the cities of Youngstown, Warren, our surrounding communities, America Makes, the Youngstown Business Incubator and the role of STEM in our future economic initiatives. He knows the importance of university collaborations with the private sector and local workforce. And he has the relationships and obvious leadership skills to build both the financial and organizational support for the YSU initiatives that will grow the University and broader economy.

Given the current circumstance, we hope you would consider making an offer quickly so that we can move forward and build upon the great progress that has been made in the Mahoning Valley. The world is a very dynamic and complicated place today, but the most important indicator of the success of any institution today is leadership. If an institution has strong, visionary and resilient leadership, it will succeed. We believe Jim Tressel will provide that kind of leadership and take YSU and the Mahoning Valley to the next level.

I have been in communications with the following community leaders and they have agreed to lend their support to this effort.

Mike Broderick

Herb Washington

Bruce Zoldan

Ron Jaworski

Go Penguins!

Sincerely,

Tim Ryan

For details, see Thursday's Vindicator!

Comments

1redeye1(4632 comments)posted 9 months, 1 week ago

@ piwohio It will be a cold day in hell before little Timmy tells you all the perks he gets. You see I figure he is just like most welfare mob people, No work but he still gets a paycheck he really doesn't deserve.. The next time he's up for re-election I and my family will be voting for someone who doesn't stick he's head up PELOSER or OBAMMY arse. Little Timmy is only worried about himself just like all of the other FOOLS in our Federal Gov't. It's is time to VOTE OUT all incumbents NOW!!!!!!! We must start over. We must have someone who has the balls to impeach OBAMMY.

2ECU(7 comments)posted 9 months, 1 week ago

I do not think anyone would oppose Coach Tressel as a top notch - number one draft choice....but I believe a person who is just as solid is right on campus. Paul McFadden would be my number one pick...by no means any disrespect to coach...just my opinion. Can't go wrong with either one in my eyes.
Eric C Ungaro

3reknab(2 comments)posted 9 months, 1 week ago

I served 12 years on a board of education. Although not a College Board, the basics of the business are the same, only larger and more complicated. If Jim Tressel was interested in taking the helm at my district, I would not hesitate in hiring him. On my board and in private industry, I have hired many people in my career from top to bottom. I can see that Jim Tressel has excellent CEO qualities. He would be able to take his YSU team, add to it where necessary and lead the university. Let's face it, he is no stranger to the college campus of America; hell he was raised on one and continued his career on some of the best college campuses. I truly believe that he could head almost any organization in American and it would be successful. For the academia's, look past the football man and focus on his presidential skills. YSU is Jim Tressel and I truly believe his hiring, if he is interested would be a great move by the board.

4rae(22 comments)posted 9 months, 1 week ago

Jim Tressel would be an excellent leader for YSU. Having been a YSU administrator for 32 years, I have seen very good and very bad presidents come and go. Jim has all the skills of the best and virtually none of the bad. Yes, he does not have a doctorate, but neither do the presidents of many other universities in America. We can always find excellent vps for academics and provosts, but you will rarely find a person with Jim's organizational skills, intelligence and his faithfulness to YSU. Count that high on my list. He also has been selfless with his financial support, not like others who merely wanted to look magnanimous. I strongly urge the YSU board to hire JIm as YSU's next president.

Regarding those bellyaching about Tim Ryan. Give me a break! He has done more for the Valley than the last 10 congressman combined. Support the man and let him do his job, or simply shut up. You hurt us all when you make unfounded remarks about our community.

5rickking123(312 comments)posted 9 months, 1 week ago

To say that Ryan has done more than the previous 10 congressmen combined is really a stretch. Perhaps you should review the record before you make such a statement.

And telling people who don't agree with him to shut up and keep quiet is just plain wrong in a country founded on the ideal of freedom of speech.