Ryan, other leaders pen support for Tressel's YSU candidacy

Published: Wed, February 19, 2014 @ 5:58 p.m.

The "Jim Tressel for YSU President" movement is gaining momentum. U.S. Rep Tim Ryan and a group of business and community leaders have sent the following letter to Youngstown State University’s Board of Trustees:

Dear Board Member,

As long time supporters of Youngstown State University, we are writing to offer our full and unequivocal support behind Jim Tressel to be the next President of Youngstown State University. We hope that the Board considers moving expeditiously to make this happen. We all have known Jim personally for many years and strongly believe that he will bring all of the skill and experience needed to lead Youngstown State University forward. He understands the importance of YSU's relationship to the cities of Youngstown, Warren, our surrounding communities, America Makes, the Youngstown Business Incubator and the role of STEM in our future economic initiatives. He knows the importance of university collaborations with the private sector and local workforce. And he has the relationships and obvious leadership skills to build both the financial and organizational support for the YSU initiatives that will grow the University and broader economy.

Given the current circumstance, we hope you would consider making an offer quickly so that we can move forward and build upon the great progress that has been made in the Mahoning Valley. The world is a very dynamic and complicated place today, but the most important indicator of the success of any institution today is leadership. If an institution has strong, visionary and resilient leadership, it will succeed. We believe Jim Tressel will provide that kind of leadership and take YSU and the Mahoning Valley to the next level.

I have been in communications with the following community leaders and they have agreed to lend their support to this effort.

Mike Broderick

Herb Washington

Bruce Zoldan

Ron Jaworski

Go Penguins!

Sincerely,

Tim Ryan

For details, see Thursday's Vindicator!

Comments

1piwohio(56 comments)posted 5 months ago

Jim Tressel for YSU President

I am a big fan of Jim Tressel. I think he is one hell of a coach and could do wonderful things at YSU already. He has done so much for YSU. I will not list as I would miss something and be cursed at for trying to remember. He has given back to Youngstown too.
The list of people in this open letter are staples of Youngstown and the Valley.

But does he have what YSU needs to be effective, productive and turn YSU around. Does he have a plan, and will all of you who signed this letter lend your years of business know how to him. If this is OUR YSU then eveyone needs to play a role, not just sign a letter.

And for the record...Tim Ryan to you our ELECTED official. Nice you find time to write this letter but you can't do the job and complete work in DC for the people who put money in your account. You take from people with your lame duck sessions. Veterans, older people suffer and you remain quite and hidden. I have written you on veteran issues. The lose of Tricare Prime for valley veterans, the lose of pay for retired military members (ok you voted yes to fix it along party lines) But you took it first and never returned a call, e-mailed back for my request of why...That is you took from everyone but from your check and perks you have in DC. How about you do your work in DC instead of grandstanding on YSU steps. How about an OPEN list of all the pay and perks you get. With all the bad news on valley politics, you could be a star by completing a FULL and OPEN disclosure...

2TheLostPatrol(755 comments)posted 5 months ago

As each day goes by a degree from YSU gets "cheapened" and another layer of the onion gets exposed to the outside world with a fresh new odor.

3ECU(7 comments)posted 5 months ago

I do not think anyone would oppose Coach Tressel as a top notch - number one draft choice....but I believe a person who is just as solid is right on campus. Paul McFadden would be my number one pick...by no means any disrespect to coach...just my opinion. Can't go wrong with either one in my eyes.
Eric C Ungaro

4reknab(2 comments)posted 5 months ago

I served 12 years on a board of education. Although not a College Board, the basics of the business are the same, only larger and more complicated. If Jim Tressel was interested in taking the helm at my district, I would not hesitate in hiring him. On my board and in private industry, I have hired many people in my career from top to bottom. I can see that Jim Tressel has excellent CEO qualities. He would be able to take his YSU team, add to it where necessary and lead the university. Let's face it, he is no stranger to the college campus of America; hell he was raised on one and continued his career on some of the best college campuses. I truly believe that he could head almost any organization in American and it would be successful. For the academia's, look past the football man and focus on his presidential skills. YSU is Jim Tressel and I truly believe his hiring, if he is interested would be a great move by the board.

5rae(22 comments)posted 5 months ago

Jim Tressel would be an excellent leader for YSU. Having been a YSU administrator for 32 years, I have seen very good and very bad presidents come and go. Jim has all the skills of the best and virtually none of the bad. Yes, he does not have a doctorate, but neither do the presidents of many other universities in America. We can always find excellent vps for academics and provosts, but you will rarely find a person with Jim's organizational skills, intelligence and his faithfulness to YSU. Count that high on my list. He also has been selfless with his financial support, not like others who merely wanted to look magnanimous. I strongly urge the YSU board to hire JIm as YSU's next president.

Regarding those bellyaching about Tim Ryan. Give me a break! He has done more for the Valley than the last 10 congressman combined. Support the man and let him do his job, or simply shut up. You hurt us all when you make unfounded remarks about our community.

6rickking123(286 comments)posted 5 months ago

To say that Ryan has done more than the previous 10 congressmen combined is really a stretch. Perhaps you should review the record before you make such a statement.

And telling people who don't agree with him to shut up and keep quiet is just plain wrong in a country founded on the ideal of freedom of speech.

7piwohio(56 comments)posted 5 months ago

rar, please and I beg you to tell me Ryan has done anything for this area. He is a clown. Let you look back and remember who he worked for before his congressional win. JIMBO...Ryan does not care about you, me or anyone besides himself and his friends. Don't blame any of his "nothings" on party. I am not a Rep or Dem supporter. I am a supporter of doing the job your ELECTED-HIRED to do. Ask him about the PERKS he gets and works less than 130 days of 365. Ask him about his office budget, his travel. He loves this valley so much he got married elsewhere not supporting business here. OK a second reception here...You have not a clue of the workings of congress and the "lifers" and the pensions they get, health care, special politicial group money. Tim can prove me wrong by OPENING his books and a FULL discloser to what his bennnies are compaired to you and me. His ability to get special information on stocks ect...Nancey school him well. And for what...Tell me what he has done on his own for this valley...