facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Household chemical mixture causes medical emergency



Published: Wed, February 19, 2014 @ 10:54 a.m.

Household chemical mixture causes medical emergency

A medical call received by the Western Reserve Joint Fire District in Poland turned into an odor investigation Tuesday night.

Fire Chief David “Chip” Comstock Jr. said a mixture of house cleaning chemicals are believed to be the cause of a gas cloud in a house on Youngstown-Pittsburgh Road.

“You have to very careful with what you mix,” he said. “We have had in the past were people mix chlorine and ammonium based products.”

This causes a chemical reaction and releases a gas.

In this situation it is assumed that the man became unconscious after mixing chemicals to unclog a drain. “What [emergency workers] did is open up windows and got the patient to a position where they could work on him,” Comstock said.

A few people were exposed to the gas, but no one needed treatment.

“We try to teach our folks to be aware of their surroundings as they go into homes,” Comstock said.

Emergency personnel worked at the home for a couple of hours after the call came in around 9:30 p.m.

A hazmat team also assisted in the process. The home appeared to be in good condition Wednesday morning. The patient was transported to the hospital Tuesday.


Comments

1billdog1(1389 comments)posted 8 months ago

Usually bleach and ammonia being mixed. How many times do people need to be reminded of the danger of mixing these two things. I don't recall ever needing to mix chemicals for the purpose of cleaning my house. Maybe these people should consider cleaning more frequently. Clogged drains are not mysteries. Don't put things in your drain that don't belong in the drain. If you have dirt from cleaning in a bucket, your toilet is the only drain in the house that can handle it. Don't put potatoes in the garbage disposal and the grease and oils from cooking should NEVER be put in a drain. They build up over time and clog the drain.

Suggest removal:

2YtownParent(331 comments)posted 8 months ago

Unfortunately the state forgot to add common sense to the new eduction standards.

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport