Published: Sun, February 16, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

By Todd Franko (Contact)

Comedian Ron White had a tweet recently that sums up the feelings of many parents about their kids these days:

“Hey, you little [kids]! You like 3-D?

Go outside!!!

It’s so real, you can almost touch it.”

OK, he said something more profane than “kids.” But his point was spot on.

Two Saturdays ago, my three sons played, collectively, with approximately 14 friends that day. None of those kids, including mine, ever left their homes.

It’s a head-scratcher to see your kids at home and assume they’re not connecting with friends, then walk into their room, and hear five voices all chiming in as a building is being blown up on the TV.

But that’s how it is these days in our wired world.

It’s why I was thrilled that the crew at MillCreek MetroParks made the Lily Pond available for skating these past few weeks — among the purest of winter-recreation activities.

For one son and his friends, it was finally an activity that had them outside, in Ron White’s 3-D, if you will.

The practice of pond skating was foreign to most of the kids. But in total, they probably spent more than 100 hours on the pond over the past 10 days.

As youth hockey players, they see ice as something made in a climate-controlled building with lots of pipes, then smoothed to perfection by a Zamboni. It exists for the purpose of athletic competitions that are over-managed by too many adults, most of whom cannot skate, but who yell at them to skate faster, shoot harder and play tougher.

And it’s “ffffffun.”

To watch the boys under a cathedral of Mill Creek trees and sprinkling snow, it was a chance to see a more pure fun.

Made-up rules, adding kids to the game as they showed up, no whistles and no horns. What parents did attend admired the woods more than the play.

Probably most rewarding was that the kids were actually seeing the eyeballs of the friends they were playing with.

Though the first visit needed some coaxing, the subsequent days were about trying to find more kids to go. “Do you want to go skate on the pond?” was swapped with “We’re going to skate on the pond.”

To open the Lily Pond was a rather quick decision by Dennis Miller’s Mill Creek team.

Mother Nature gave them the chance. After a few tests and days’ worth of checks with the park board and the insurance folks, they committed to a plan and opened two days later.

“Not only are we happy with how it turned out, but we’re investigating what more we can do next year, including if Mother Nature does not give us the chance like this month,” said Miller.

Citing the pond attendance and the park’s 32,000 Facebook views just on this topic, he said it was an awareness to his team that people want skating to come back.

The last pond skating was in 1991. The outdoor rink closed in 2002, and Miller said there has been occasional, seasonal mentions of ice skating.

But this event was an awareness that there’s a role the park can serve that was missing.

His favorite part of it all was seeing the Youngstown Phantoms hockey players come out last week for a couple of hours with 30 or so kids. “They even let little kids yank their jerseys over their heads [like a hockey fight].”

As much as I enjoyed seeing my son and his pals playing outdoors, and even skating with them one of the days, my best tale is a lady I’ll likely never see again.

As we were getting on the ice one day, she was walking off, and I teased her about leaving too early.

Easily in her 70s, she just gushed:

“This was such a bucket list item for me. This is what we did as kids, and I sooooo wanted to do this again.”

Then she held up her skates and laughed.

“My skates were fine. But my laces were too old and didn’t hold up.”

But she did.

And that is a special memory for her, and for me.

Thanks, Mill Creek.

Todd Franko is editor of The Vindicator. He likes emails about stories and our newspaper. Email him at tfranko@vindy.com. He blogs, too, on vindy.com. Tweet him, too, at @tfranko.

Comments

1UticaShale(848 comments)posted 2 months ago

I notice Franco has been more of an advocate of the outdoors and pushing the next generation to discover it is refreshing and needed. I especially like the Mahoning river adventure.

I do have a problem with Mr. Franco from observing him when he first became a transplant and adopted Youngstown as his new home (rather Poland , but close enough). If the "pen is mightier than the sword," my observation is Franco's pen is low on ink. Or maybe he is a brilliant General who has Desouza and Skolnick do his fighting for him. Franco although the big boss at the Vindy, seems to take the "kumbaya" approach when he could very well be calling out the leadership problems all over the communities of the Valley.

I have met and spoken with Franco several times and can see he has a fighting spirit, but it does not seem that he wishes to enter the ring.

has not the media in America been part of the community that corrects corruption, the Vindy has a history of this, maybe ink is no longer a lethal weapon to evil?

2Erplane(448 comments)posted 2 months ago

Well said, Todd. Mill Creek is one of the greatest assets any city in the WORLD would want to have, and I think the Valley sometimes takes it for granted. Great job to Dennis and the crew for making it happen!

3toddfranko(97 comments)posted 2 months ago

Check out the email I rec'd this am:

Imagine my surprise and pleasure reading your article about them re-opening the ice rink and seeing that you quoted me!!!! I'm just 70 years young !!! Yup, we skated at Newport and the tennis courts in Mill Creek. Other friends remembered skating on Crandall and Rocky Ridge .
I got new laces and I will be giving it another try. Hope it happens from now on in Mill Creek.

And to Utica Shale — thanks for reading. Hugs to you, too!!!

4UticaShale(848 comments)posted 2 months ago

Well, I'm impressed you read the comments to your articles by the proletariats. BTW sorry for misspelling your name. So to continue my soapbox protest, let me see if I can segue and drag you into how the leaders should improve Mill Creek Park on an advance scale. Local blogs have been writing about a Lodge at Mill Creek ala Oglebay. Oglebay from what I understand has leveraged their minerals and has a significant war chest to continue their advancement in the community.
The leaders of Millcreek run and hide from our local Hipster FrackPot ensemble (a trio I believe). The facts are that most of the thousands of acres in MillCreek park are HBP(held by production) and will be drilled soon, albeit horizontally from afar. Mill Creek Park needs to plan for this, show the populace how the money can be used to build a lodge, get ZIP lines running all over the canopy. Think like the American capitalist we are, even regret that they threw money away by not harvesting the Ash before the blight wiped them out and made them potential widow makers (a liability for the park now).
Actually, this outcry is the biggest HUG of them all, tough love. Since you brought up MillCreek, lead us on the deep issues. I understand that they hired a top consultant, let the Park not only know of the good works, but also to have more vision, or the people die.

5thinkthentalk(257 comments)posted 2 months ago

Bravo Todd! Im just might go up into the attic to look for my 37 yr old hockey skates. I dont remember when i saw them last, but just the same, no memory of throwing them out either.
The January of 1977 was my recollection of the coldest winter. Lake Newport was froze thick enough to skate on. The lake was big enough to accomodate the social skaters grouped in bunches on the ice or around the fire barrel. A hockey game or two with 2 or 3 vs 3. And most importantly, big enough for schmuck skaters like me to ungracefully fall and get back up in semi anonymity. Funny how my bones had a higher percentage of rubber back then.
Thanks Mill Creek for bringing ice skating back. If i find the skates today Todd, you may get a phone pic from the ice!

6penguinnick(25 comments)posted 2 months ago

Nice article Todd. Nothing beats skating outdoors with snow covered trees like nature intended it to be. To see the expressions and joy on little kids faces (plus their families) as they skate outdoors is priceless. If you or anyone else is interested please view my "Friends of Mill Creek Park Ice Rink" site on FaceBook.