Mayor plans to address leaking pipe that caused accident
Struthers PD dispatcher shocked while on the job
The city is looking into an accident involving a Struthers Police Department dispatcher who received an electric shock while on the job.
Ed Wildes, the city’s safety service director, said the incident occurred some time late Thursday or early Friday in the dispatcher’s office, located in the basement of city hall. A leaking pipe had apparently dripped water onto the desk there, and when the dispatcher attempted to push a plug farther into an electrical outlet, he received the shock.
Mayor Terry Stocker added that the dispatcher hit his head against the wall, possibly suffering a concussion, and has since filed a workers’ compensation claim regarding the accident.
The dispatcher is alright, though, Wildes said. He took some accumulated vacation time, and will be back to work on Wednesday.
Also back to work Wednesday is Stocker, who was out of town when the incident occurred, but has said he will fully address the issue when he returns.
As of Monday, Stocker hadn’t yet had the chance to speak with the injured dispatcher, but said he was “obviously very concerned” about his condition.
Stocker said he also plans to look into the leaking pipe that caused the accident. He added that to his knowledge, the problem consisted of “just a small drip,” and that something had been placed underneath to catch any leaking water.
In addition, the problem was already in the process of being taken care of, and estimates were being obtained from numerous area plumbing companies. “We will remedy these situations to make sure we have a safe working environment for all employees,” Stocker said.