True Christians recognize sinfulness of smoking pot

Published: Mon, February 3, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

True Christians recognize sinfulness of smoking pot

The letter, “Prohibiting pot is anti-Christian,” would be laughable if it weren’t about such a serious and destructive habit. As Christians, we believe that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and that anyone who does harm to his own or other’s bodies is sinning against God, and God will judge them.

Now, as Christians, we don’t judge those outside the church because God will judge them, but there are certain things anyone can learn about the dangers of smoking marijuana.

I was raised in the Bronx and lived there for more than 40 years. When marijuana was introduced in the 1960s, I saw friends of mine who were completely destroyed by this drug. Many went on to other drugs and died of overdoses. Others were so brain-damaged from smoking marijuana that one friend of mine couldn’t do his job anymore and quit a good job and lost his pension.

Now, many drugs that help people are made from plants, but many of these have serious side effects. To smoke marijuana is worse than smoking regular cigarettes because users inhale more deeply and keep the smoke in for longer periods of time as well. If they can isolate, which I believe they have already, the ingredient that is good, it can help suffering people without the horrible side effects of smoking any kind of tobacco.

The people who are against legalization have seen the devastation of this illegal drug and that is why it was banned in the first place. There is a middle ground here, but people have to have a sensible, peaceful discussion and lay out all of the benefits and harm that legalization will have on people, their families, our communities and our country.

I remember all the pot heads in the Bronx smoking, choking and croaking all day long, and none of them is alive today. I also saw Jesus deliver many of these drug addicts, and today they no longer smoke this harmful drug. Just because God made something doesn’t mean it is good for you. It just might be a test to see if you want to do the right thing.

Leo Feher, Youngstown

Comments

1WilliamC(10 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

"Now, as Christians, we don’t judge those outside the church because God will judge them"

Interesting statement, suggests that we can judge others, provided they are inside the "church".

I don't recall any such qualification attached in the admonition "judge not".

2billdog1(934 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Strange letter that really makes no sense. Why do people worry so much about what others do if it doesn't effect them? Crazy, just crazy. If the pothead don't care if they can get a descent job, why should I? If they never acquire anything, why should I care? If they kill themselves, become a slug, or never accomplish anything more than to eat every twinky on the planet, it's none of my business.

3GoPens(397 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Marijuana wasn't introduced until the 1960's? Haha, interesting.

And some of the most judgemental people I've ever met are hard core Christians.

Very strange letter.

4billdog1(934 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

GoPens, marijuana was made illegal long before the 1960's. You might want to try picking up a book and reading up on the subject. It's reasons for being illegal are even stupider.

5Repubs4theRich(124 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This article was written to entice people, specifically Christians and non Christians to attack each other. It is a worthless article, and if anything, should be preached in church, not the Vindy.

6GoPens(397 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Jilldog, I was just quoting the letter writer who said marijuana was introduced in the 1960's. Did you even read the letter before jumping on me? I know pot was illegal before that. You might want to put down the bong before posting.

7birdseed(66 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

in this constitutional republic citizens have the right to control their lives as they wish. if smoking a weed that can grow in their back yard then that is their business, it is not the governments' business, the busybodies business nor the religious zealots' business.

8lajoci(170 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey LEO!

Helllllllloooo!

The Lord Jesus Christ himself changed water into wine at the wedding feast at Cana.

Wine, Leo -- an alcoholic beverage.

Alcohol, Leo! The number 1 most abused drug in this country -- responsible for more illness and death and destruction and social upheaval than all other drugs combined!

By far!

So spare us your amateur theophisizing!

Really!

Utter your pious sentiments within your own tiny circle of fellow true-believers.

They strike us here as merely lame and tedious.

9Elf2(75 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Lajoc,
Your point is that Jesus Christ is/was an alcohol promoter?

billdog,
I care when the stoner drives on the public streets, don't you?

10YtownParent(276 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Elf2 -I care when the stoner drives on the streets and I also care when the drunk drives on the streets. Drunk drivers get slapped on the wrist with a court ordered class, a minimal fine and a license suspension. Then the same Judge turns around and hands them their license back under the heading "work privileges".

11Elf2(75 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

@YtownParent,
I agree that both (drunk & stoned) should not be driving.
I also agree that the penalty for impaired driving should be significant and decisive.

My comment was in response to billdog's attitude of "it's none of his business" what the pothead does. I suspect he would care very much when the pothead damages billdog's car, property, or person.

12billdog1(934 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

YtownParent, because somebody smokes weed doesn't necessarily mean they are going to go out and drive any more than somebody have an adult beverage means they are going to drive. And do not not like the idea of either happening. The idea that it is illegal is stupid ( I don't use it) and just cost our gooberment a ton of money. Tying up the courts, police, and jails mainly because they want to smoke the junk. Like alcohol, if they drive, go to work, or any other thing they aren't suppose to do, suffer the consequence.

13YtownParent(276 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

We agree billdog. The argument that "I don't want a stoned driver on the road or at work" is lame as far as reasons for prohibition goes. Marijuana should be treated just the same as alcohol. Available to those who want it, taxed to pay for the damages its users may cause, and users penalized solely for the actual dangers (operating a vehicle impaired) and damages (hitting another vehicle or person) they do while under its influence.

14Elf2(75 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

@YtownParent,

You misunderstood my comment. I was not making any argument for or against prohibition of marijuana.

I "care" about sharing the road with either the alcohol impaired or THC impaired.

billdog suggests that he doesn't care what the "pothead" does - I just suspect he doesn't really mean that quite as literally as he originally stated.

My opinion (that you seem to agree with) : Stoned drivers should be treated the same as alcohol impaired drivers.