Man shot on South Ave. is Youngstown's 10th homicide victim of year

Published: Sat, August 30, 2014 @ 12:06 a.m.

By Joe Gorman

jgorman@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Police believe robbery was the motive that led to the shooting death of a man at a South Side parking lot Thursday evening.

Dale Garver, 41, of Burnsville, W.Va., died after being shot in the parking lot of Teenie’s Tavern, 3011 South Ave.

He is the city’s 10th homicide victim of 2014.

Police Lt. Doug Bobovynik said Garver was killed during a robbery. He said Garver was in town to visit relatives when he was shot.

Police were called to the bar for a report of a shooting about 9:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found a pool of blood and four spent shell casings and bullet fragments.

A video at the business showed two men approach a pickup truck that pulled into the bar. The men talked to the people in the truck, then walked to the passenger side, and at some point shots were fired, reports said.

The truck sped away, and the two men fled on foot. Later, police were called to St. Elizabeth Health Center where the victim was being treated. Two of the people with him told officers the two men outside the truck demanded money before firing several shots.

The truck driver told police he was dropping three people off at the bar when the two men approached and began shooting. Other witnesses told police they heard shots as well.

Garver died later of his wounds at the hospital.

Bobovnyik said Garver was with three other people in the truck. He said they believe Garver was targeted because as they were sitting in the truck in the parking lot, the robbers saw Garver counting a large sum of money and decided to try and take it.

Bobovnyik said the robbers did not get the money.

In 2013, Youngstown had 20 homicides. At this point last year, Youngstown also had 10 homicides.

Comments

1kensgirl(634 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I remember when South Ave. was crime and drug free. One could walk down the street at any time and not have to worry about anything. Teenie better move out of there before it's too late,

2Chessiedad(239 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Let me see if I got this equation right:

South side of Youngstown + parking lot of a bar + 9:30 at night + out-of-towner + counting large sums of money in plain sight = FOUR BULLETS TO THE HEAD!!!

I know the deceased was from West Virginia, and all, and I don't mean to speak "ill of the dead," but c'mon!!!! To quote the great Ron White, "Ya can't fix stupid!" I don't know about you, but that little "alarm" is going off in my head and I smell "drug deal gone bad" here.

3DACOUNTRYBOY(256 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Got lots of cash? Don't flaunt it unless you want to share it. Tempting those Youngstown city boys is deadly.

BTW this boy was originally from Ohio.

4kensgirl(634 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

That whole area is bad. The St. Dom's area is the worst. Unless God himself helps me park my car and sits with it till Mass is over on Sundays I'm not going. Sorry Fr. Maturi. I love you to death but there ain't no way I'm getting shot to kingdom come just getting there.

5redeye1(4628 comments)posted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Just another reason why everyone who enters this area should carry a self defense weapon. And hope they don't get prosecuted after ridding the world of these low life scums.

6DeborahKing(1 comment)posted 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm the Aunt Of Dale Garver That Was Murdered On August 28,2014. On the South Side of Youngstown during a attempted Robbery at Teenie's Tavern. He was In care of his Mom who Suffers from Severe Dementia for the Past 14 months. In April Of this year he Moved From Painsville Ohio to Take His Mom to West Virginia so that He could Have help Taking care of his Mom with His Older Sister. She Had her Future Husband,His Brother And A Family Member take Dale out for A Night On the Town To Give Him a Break from His Mom and to Restore His Sanity! My Nieces's Future Husband Lived 7 houses from Teenies Tavern And Was Raised In that Neighborhood.That is Why They Were In Ohio. Better the Neighborhood You know then What You don't. They Thought! Now My Niece is Trying to Plan A Funeral For her Baby Brother And Take Care of there Mother. She has contacted Every Place out there Trying to Find Help to Bury her Brother.Victims RIghts isn't returning her Phone Calls.Last We Heard They caught The Two men Who Shot and Killed My Nephew! May God Have mercy on there Souls. Because I sure don't have any pity on them. GET A JOB AND GET OFF THE STREETS!