Police: 17-year-old dead in ‘pre-arranged fight” on Winona Drive

Published: Mon, August 18, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

photo

A member of the Youngstown Police Department collects a gun shell casing as evidence from the middle of Winona Drive on Youngstown’s South Side after a shooting there Sunday evening. At least one person died in the gunfire.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Shawn Cortez, 17, of Ravenwood Avenue was killed in a 6 p.m. “pre-arranged fight” with other teens on Winona Drive on the South Side on Sunday.

Lt. Doug Bobovnyik of the Youngstown Police Department did not confirm witness accounts that 50 or more mostly young men met on Winona for the fight, but said the number of males involved was “a lot.” He said at least eight shots were fired from at least one gun, but many details remain unclear.

He said he didn’t know how many shots were fired or whether Cortez had a weapon on him.

Cortez died at St. Elizabeth Health Center of a gunshot wound to the chest. Bobovnyik said police are not aware of anyone else being hit by the gunfire, which one neighbor said was flying all through the neighborhood, causing her to hide behind a tree.

Neighbors said the conflict involved two groups of young males who approached each other on Winona, a short distance west of Glenwood Avenue.

Words were exchanged as were numerous rounds of gunfire, the witness said. Crime-scene markers showed the location of eight shell casings in the 700 or 800 block of Winona.

Police used crime-scene tape to prevent people from entering much of the site of the shootings, but witnesses said the confrontation involved a much larger area and that the gunfire caused dozens of young men to flee in either direction on Winona.

Cortez collapsed a short distance away and was taken part way to the hospital in a car, then taken the rest of the way in an ambulance.

Neighbors told The Vindicator that the victim had been riding a bicycle, but Bobovnyik said he is not aware of anyone involved being on a bicycle.

Detectives interviewed several witnesses Sunday, but they have others to talk to and have not made any arrests.

“Hopefully with cooperation of witnesses, we will be able to piece it together,” the detective said.

Bobovnyik said it’s unfortunate when young men resort to violence to resolve a conflict.

“Now, one guy’s dead and ... usually it ruins two lives — the kid who died and if we find him, the other guy’s going to spend a lot of his adult life in the penitentiary,” Bobovnyik said.

The death is the city’s ninth homicide of 2014. There were 10 homicides at this time in 2013 in the city.

Comments

1tafy(86 comments)posted 1 month ago

I say let them weed each other out and the police just need to show up for the paperwork. Why get the police involved when good people are not involved. They want to commit genocide, so be it.

2handymandave(474 comments)posted 1 month ago

Wouldn't think of using their fists to fight. Wayyyy to stupid for that.

3kensgirl(606 comments)posted 1 month ago

It all goes back to women having babies with no fathers or role models to guide them. Mom is doing dope while dad is out making more babies. Same old same old. It's not going to end during our lifetime. It's only going to get worse. Sorry people. Get real here. The days of going to Strouss and McKelveys and a fun day out in Ytown are gone. Who wants to dodge the bullets by some POS who cares less about himself than he does for others. Shame Youngstown was once so great. Now the streets are a battleground. Hope they catch the coward who did this before he kills someone else.

4DwightK(1256 comments)posted 1 month ago

There are large number of people who care about the city and try to make it a better place. Then there are those who think they live in a place where pulling guns and shooting people down is perfectly acceptable. They've failed in life so why not put other people's lives in danger? Where are the parents of these fools?

5YSU_Alumna(37 comments)posted 1 month ago

If one person/neighbor who gathered to watch this fight had called to alert law enforcement, perhaps no one's life would be ended or ruined. The neighbor that had to hide behind a tree; was she out of her home to watch the fight? Why not simply stay inside where mob mentality doesn't usually rule & call 911?? Step up Youngstown. Let cooler heads prevail & stop these hothead kids from killing each other. Sometimes all it takes is a phone.

6NilesOhio(724 comments)posted 1 month ago

@DwightK - You're assuming the parents care. Most of the time, they're children themselves. They're perpetuating a purely destructive, selfish culture.

7valleypoboy(106 comments)posted 1 month ago

Glad you folks have all the answers. Why don't you run for mayor?

8kensgirl(606 comments)posted 1 month ago

valleypoboy - maybe you don't like hearing the truth. You'd rather bury your head in the sand and say we are all racists. The facts speak for themselves. The thug mentality is alive and well in Ytown and as long as the thugettes keep spitting out kids that grow up raising themselves on the streets nothing will change. Own it. And by the way if things keep going the way the history of the Youngstown has been then McNally might NEED a replacement. Why don't YOU run poboy? Maybe you have the secret on what to do with all the murders and how to prevent them! Let the rest of us in on it!

9captainpeewee(66 comments)posted 1 month ago

kensgirl hit the nail on the head , between baby momma and the sperm farmers of Youngstown they have destroyed Youngstown for ever who in there right mind would put a factory or a business in Youngstown you would have to have rocks in your head,

10theguins(169 comments)posted 1 month ago

It's only a matter of time for the local clergy to organize yet another prayer vigil to stop the violence...

11kensgirl(606 comments)posted 1 month ago

God forbid we are racially incorrect! I heard today that white people can no longer say the word ninja. It's supposed to replace the N word in white culture. Really? Who thought THAT nonsense up? This world has become more than crazy. It will implode upon itself. We are destroying ourselves and each other. We kill over religion. We kill over land. Now young men are killing each other over being "dissed". Idiots. As long as there are liberals who spit on the Constitution (yes, you do it too) this country doen't have too far to go become extinct. Everyone has their "rights" and the rest of us are left with gaping mouths. The only thing left will be the cockroaches.

12captainpeewee(66 comments)posted 1 month ago

White people must come to grips with the fact that the experiment to integrate primates into civilization is a failure no country on earth has succeeded,

13YtownParent(324 comments)posted 1 month ago

This delinquents lack any positive role models at home and in society. Nonexistent parents are only half the problem. No one in the White House nor Congress has been an example of civil society during these punk's lifetimes. Closer to home we have Mayor McNally, who at the very least committed perjury, as well as Scorintino, who the Sheriff's Department escorts home instead of charging for OVI. Then there is the Youngstown City Council, all who broke the law, by not redistricting, and assumed seats that they have no legal right to sit in. Add to it the YPD and YFD who have systematically stolen from citizens by raiding the water department funds. When the population is led by criminals who have no regard for anyone but themselves, the people they govern will grow up to be exactly the same way.

14kensgirl(606 comments)posted 1 month ago

It could be worse. We could be living in Ferguson. Open up the water hoses and aim. Hope they know how to swim.

15borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

What we're all doing here is missing the big picture. Blacks on blacks is what 's getting the news, but what's happening in Ferguson,Mo. is the real threat. Blacks are trying real hard to someday have control of this country. It started with civil rights movement (a noble cause), but it was hijacked by the Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan factions where their goal is to cause whites to become inferior to the blacks. Whites are afraid of what blacks will do, riot, extort, boycott and anything else to intimidate. Civil right laws were passed ( ok in principle ), hate laws passed and of course our right to speak out. This is called political correctness and it's used to shut down anybody trying to talk about racism in this country from a white's point of view. Even in these posts we're all using n------ instead of the "word". We're afraid to use the word or out of respect we don't use it. However, we can' t use many, many words anymore. In Ferguson after the Tryvon Martin incident, there had to be more than being upset, it had to come to real rioting and a rush to judgement. They have to instill the fear in whites what happens if they don't get their own way.
Having babies is also part of the plan due to numbers. The more blacks there are, the more possible votes someday. More legit power electing blacks to office and making laws. President Obama was elected because he was black, no other reason. Getting the future votes to the polls is now getting easier with longer voting times, absentee ballots and no ID required. Whites are suppressing the minority vote is the mantra. This is why black leaders don't denounce out of wedlock babies and the price these kids pay to someday become pawns.
Blacks stick together and it's about time whites do. We have no White Panthers. We have no white leaders. We have no where to go when there's black on white crime. The real fear is we are now in the proverbial corner and no where to go. The black on white assaults are soon to come and just in case I'm right, what can we do about it?
Just leave me alone and quit shoving racism down my throat. I can't help what happened hundreds of years ago. Contribute to society, call yourselves Americans and let's move on.

16captainpeewee(66 comments)posted 1 month ago

borylie, right on, the liberal doctrine started in 1960 and this is ware they taken us teaching whites to hate our self's you can find whites that would help blacks to kill there families white girls on there knees in the ghetto bobbing for apples white liberal men are so lame the blacks laugh at them.

17HSG(123 comments)posted 1 month ago

thanx. Captain, for that scintillating analysis. You managed to include racial and gender sterotyping, generalizing, and some serious grammatical errors, all in just a single sentence!

Quite remarkable.

Hint: the collective of 'ourself's' is ourselves.- they just changed it.

18borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

billdog, Whether or not Mitt Romney was qualified, of which we'll never know, President Obama has proven he's not qualified. What part of my prehistoric thinking breeds hate? Do you "think" calling Mitt Romney a joke doesn't breed hate? Do you "think" calling my thinking and opinions prehistoric, breeds hate? Too bad you liberal/democrats resort to this kind of rhetoric and actually think you're making a point. Read my post again and you'll see it wasn't about President Obama, it's about white people having no say in the racism we are accused of, we can't defend ourselves from these charges. If we defend ourselves we're racist,if we remain quiet, it's like we're accepting these charges. Lose-lose. Hope you can understand this.

19borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

dontbeaa--, On July 19th I commended you for the civil debate we had at that time. Now you're calling me ignorant. If you don't want to debate me or give me a basis for all my wrongs, then why did you even acknowledge me? What the heck does the Indians have to do with my posts? Then your black people sold off other blacks for slavery to other countries. Don't you forget that! And so what's wrong with Pee Wee being a racist? He's allowed, isn't he? KKK not allowed. I'm going to start a NCAAP. National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People, I need someone to turn to. You have a problem with that?

20borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

dontbeaa--, I meant NAACP, excuse me.

21borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

So I'm entrenched in my beliefs and I have prehistoric thinking, yet you are with me in the fact that there is in deed reverse racism, my premise for posting. Man, you're confusing. I don't want blacks killing blacks, I don't want whites killing whites, I don't want blacks killing whites and I don't want whites killing blacks. I just want to know who can I turn to when blacks kill us whites. Any idea?

22cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

I learn so much from the posters on this board. One gangbanger kills another and now I've learned that the streets of Youngstown are turning into the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.

The country is on the road to extinction.

Blacks are primates who are trying to control the country.

There is a conspiracy by blacks to have more babies that will vote and elicit black people and take over the country.

Blacks teach whites to kill their white girls.

You people crack me up. You're like a bunch of hysterical little girls. That's what being a bigot does to you.

A bigot is a person who looks at the very worst in a nationality or race and the paints that entire nationality or race with that brush. Like all Italians are in the Mob, all Jews are cheats, all Irish are drunks, all Polish are stupid, all Germans are Jew hating Nazis, all whites are in the klan.

It's not hard to see who the bigots are in this thread. bor-y-lie you are at the top of the heap. You cry about being called a racist but you prove it with every post. No one cares so you should just own it. Be proud of it, y-lie?

23borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

Hey Cambridge, If you want to review my posts, you'll see where I've agreed that I'm a racist and anything else you want to call me. I'm not backing down because you're trying to label me, thus shut down my free speech. That's what liberal/democrats do. So I surely don't cry about it in any post you dolt. So if I'm a bigot or a racist, I Don't Care! And by the way I'm voting for Dr. Ben Carson, if he runs for president. Yes, a black man. You going to vote for him, or are you a bigot? You know Cambridge I debate a lot of posters on here, but by far you irritate me the most because you're nothing but an agitator, not a problem solver. So answer my question here today, where do whites go when there's black on white crime? Throw out your red herring, you won't answer the question!

24borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

fool, Call me paranoid or anything else you want to call me today. It's possible I could be right and possibly I can see this I write about happening. You obviously can't see past yesterday. Call the cops? Someone called the cops in Ferguson, a white cop shows up. Possibly had to do what he had to do. Now there's an all attempt to shove justice aside, so we can placate Al Sharpton. A few years ago, I believe in the Victory apartments, residents were complaining about crime and how the police weren't patrolling their neighborhood. Then the police were patrolling and the residents complained that the police were unfairly targeting the blacks in the neighborhood. So as a white person and I call the cops , how does that ensure me my assailant gets what's coming to him or her. Do I riot, intimidate, boycott or anything else I wouldn't be allowed to do as a white person?

25cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

bor-y-lie.....in the case of any crime by anyone I would call the police. What would you do?

26borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

cambridge, Depends on whether I'm dead or alive.

27cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

bor-y-lie....lol, you ask me a question and claim I won't answer it. I answer it and ask you to answer your own question and you evade answering it. Typical. You are a funny guy!

28borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

cambridge, If I'm black and dead someone will call Al Sharpton. Then If a white person did it, I'd hope they riot in my honor. If I'm white and dead , call the morgue.

Joe, Don't step in, jump in. Hubbard, great little town.

29cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

dontbeafool.....you don't understand, when it comes to people like skeevoeivo, all their information is from the fix noise network, teabagger emails and the voices in their heads. You're never going to win trying to rationalize with someone like that. bor-y-lie is another example, the guy still won't answer his own question. All you can do is laugh.

30NBees(44 comments)posted 1 month ago

My first thoughts reading this story was "times sure have changed" as groups of youths meeting each other for a pre-arranged fight is nothing new - my daddy tells stories of his boyhood antics, boys from this street meeting the boys from that street (all little white boys) for fights and how he's been hit with rocks thrown from sling shots. And boys shooting at each other with homemade bows and arrows, fighting with stick swords and garbage can lid shields. The only difference from the 1940s is an extremely poor choice of weapons - anyone scared enough to bring a gun to a fight has no business going to a fight. Just being realistic here - boys (of any race) set on fighting are not going to hold hands and sing kum-by-ya.

Then I read the comments... OMG, racism is alive and active in Youngstown, Ohio. Primates? I have not heard that rhetoric in decades. It is so easy to hate entire segments of our population if you convince yourself that they are not exactly 100% human. I suppose that warped logic was used by "Christian" men who left their marriage beds to seek gratification in the slave quarters.

It also bewilders me, this talk of blacks taking over the country... blacks, Hispanics, Latinos, Muslims, depending on what day it is, one or the other is trying to take over the country and push the white man out. Good grief... can't y'all just accept that America is a melting pot and white is just one of the colors stirred in?

What am I thinking? Of course not... anyone who is not exactly like you is not exactly human and therefore cannot be trusted. To be racist is to live in fear - doesn't matter what your race is, to be racist is living in fear.

31borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

It's well documented what blacks want whites to do or society in general. Affirmative action, reparations, hate laws, understanding the black history, and really there's much more that whites have been asked to do to improve race relations. Can anyone tell me what's been asked of blacks what they can do to improve race relations? Asked why they are so supposedly so disliked, what brings this hate on? What do any of you posters think blacks can do? This an attempt to have the dialogue that everyone keeps talking about that needs done. Can we keep this dialogue civil?

32cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

bor-y-lie....great questions. I think the reason some people express such "dislike and hate" for black people is that when they hear of one black person committing a crime they actually see an entire race committing the crime.

Obviously this thinking is not normal. So why do some people have such an irrational way of thinking? I would say these people have a deep rooted inferiority complex and it's a defensive mechanism so they can feel better about themselves.

The fact that you are asking for help is a good thing. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step in a cure. I'm sure that if you get yourself some professional help you will start feeling better about yourself and start thinking of others more rationally. Good luck.

33borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

cambridge, You're absolutely correct. You hit the nail on the head. Blacks can't come forward with any way to help race relations because they're too stupid. Wish I could of thought of that, but you figured it out all by yourself. Why don't you like blacks, other than for the reasons in your posts? Have a great day!

34stievo(17 comments)posted 1 month ago

5) If you are black and are called a primate, don't just automatically assume the person calling you that is racist.

35borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

steivo, Sincerely,thank you. I could add 100 things blacks and white trash could do to be accepted. You know it too, but thanks for helping getting possibly some real dialogue going here. Who am I kidding.

36cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

bor-y-lie....wow a hundred things. How about you sharing maybe a half dozen things YOU can do in YOUR personal life that would improve race relations.

37ytowntomg(26 comments)posted 1 month ago

The word "cracker" has nothing to do with food. The "cracker" is the man with the whip. So no, no offense taken. In fact, there's not a word or phrase that you can say that offends a person with self worth. I'm not a liberal or a crybaby.

38ytowntomg(26 comments)posted 1 month ago

And while I'm typing; my best guess is dontbeafool is a kankled ex-librarian.

39borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

cambridge, my personal life? You announced in one of your posts that your gay and now you hate gay black people? Man, you're hard to figure.

40borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

fool, so you agree that if anybody (non-blacks) went into the "black community" and spoke their mind, they'd be met with violence? Why wouldn't they try and show JS how to get along and be civil? Fool, I don't think you give the black community much credit.

41cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

bor-y-lie....Ha, there is no end to your delusions. I'm not gay, never said I was gay, never said I hate black people or hate gay black people. Those are all things you claim I have said which proves you are nothing but an insignificant loser and a liar. You're a joke, you should just go crawl back under your rock.

You want to throw a bunch of questions out for others but when you're asked too answer your own questions you throw a hissy fit. You make me laugh and the fact that y out say I get under your skin makes me smile. :-)

42borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

Google Huffington Post. Cambridge assaults black gay lover, receives diversity training in lieu of jail. So who are you kidding. Take a break from posting and try to get a normal life.

43borylie(790 comments)posted 1 month ago

Everybody ought to take 6 minutes and 18 seconds and Google Jonathan Gentry/You Tube. It will be time well spent on improving race relations if people would only listen to this guy.

44cambridge(3013 comments)posted 1 month ago

bor-y-lie....it's pathetic that you would lie about a poster on this board because you can't debate them. That's just more of your insecurity coming out, you trying too feel better about yourself.

Your resorts to lies just proves your lack of credibility. I said in an earlier post that you should seek some help for your low self esteem issues. I doubt it would help, I think you're already too far gone.

45oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 month ago

All of this debate could have been eliminated had the young man just put his hands up and said "don't shoot".

46handymandave(474 comments)posted 1 month ago

This might of helped in Ferguson:

47brokeanddontcare(15 comments)posted 3 weeks, 3 days ago

This article referred to the people involved where teens. It made no mention of black white or green people. And somehow it has turned into a racial thing. This is the problem