facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Lawsuit in Ohio corpse-abuse case can go forward



Published: Sat, August 16, 2014 @ 12:00 a.m.

Associated Press

CINCINNATI

A lawsuit against officials in a county where a morgue attendant sexually abused three female corpses can go forward, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.

A jury might conclude that Hamilton County’s former coroner and morgue director should have known that the morgue attendant could harm or disrespect corpses, the three-judge 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel said. The judges cited evidence that it was known that attendant Kenneth Douglas was drinking heavily and having sex with live women while on the job.

Douglas’ wife had called his supervisor complaining he was coming home from work drunk and “smelling like sex,” and the former morgue director knew he had run-ins with the law and other personal issues yet continued to schedule him to work alone at the morgue, court records show.

“A jury could find that the county defendants recklessly and wantonly failed to supervise Douglas despite the known risks he posed to the bodies,” wrote Circuit Judge Jane B. Stranch.

Douglas was convicted of gross abuse of a corpse. He admitted having intercourse, while drunk and high on drugs, with the bodies of the three women whose families are suing, according to court records. The first case dated to the 1982 stabbing death of 19-year-old Karen Sue Range. The corpse abuse was discovered 25 years later after authorities conducted DNA testing for a court appeal in the Range slaying case and found that semen in her body was a match for Douglas.

The appeals panel opinion upholds earlier rulings by a lower court, including rejecting federal constitutional violation claims by relatives of the women whose corpses were abused.

“The families can finally get their day in court,” family attorney Al Gerhardstein said. “It’s been a long time. It’s a horrible case with horrible facts.”

Hamilton County prosecutor’s spokeswoman Julie Wilson said that her office was reviewing the opinion.

During arguments last year, a county attorney contended that no one could have anticipated Douglas would sexually abuse corpses. The families’ lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.


Comments

1billdog1(1412 comments)posted 2 months, 1 week ago

"Kenneth Douglas was drinking heavily and having sex with live women while on the job." When they knew this, why wasn't he fired? I wonder how long the wife stayed with him knowing this bazaar behavior? This entire story is over the top.

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport