Today is Tuesday, Aug. 12, the 224th day of 2014. There are 141 days left in the year.
On this date in:
1813: Austria declares war on France.
1867: President Andrew Johnson sparks a move to impeach him as he defies Congress by suspending Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.
1898: Fighting in the Spanish-American War ends.
1902: International Harvester Co. is formed by a merger of McCormick Harvesting Machine Co., Deering Harvester Co. and several other manufacturers.
1912: Comedy producer Mack Sennett founds the Keystone Pictures Studio in Edendale, Calif.
1914: Britain and France declare war on Austria-Hungary.
1937: President Franklin D. Roosevelt nominates Hugo Black to the U.S. Supreme Court.
1939: The classic MGM movie musical “The Wizard of Oz,” starring Judy Garland, has its world premiere at the Strand Theater in Oconomowoc, Wisc., three days before opening in Hollywood. (Oconomowoc was apparently chosen to test the film’s appeal to Middle Americans.)
1944: During World War II, Joseph P. Kennedy Jr., eldest son of Joseph and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, is killed with his co- pilot when their explosives-laden Navy plane blows up over England.
1953: The Soviet Union conducts a secret test of its first hydrogen bomb.
1960: The first balloon communications satellite — the Echo 1 — is launched by the United States from Cape Canaveral.
1989: A dramatic increase in the number of hand, foot and mouth disease cases has Youngstown area pediatricians saying the contagious disease is reaching almost epidemic proportions.
U.S. Rep. James A. Traficant Jr. scolds a national Jewish leader for questioning the congressman’s motives for his involvement in the case of John Demjanjuk, the retired Cleveland auto worker convicted of being Ivan the Terrible, a gas-chamber operator at the Treblinka death camp during World War II.
Sister Mary Raymond Manley is honored for 50 years as an Ursuline sister and Carole Suhar for 25 years during a Mass celebrated by Bishop James W. Malone at the motherhouse on Shields Road.
1974: Three patrolmen are suspended by Youngstown Police Chief Donald Baker, two for 60 days and the other for 30 days, as the investigation of a burglary ring and other violations of department rules continues. Eighteen men have been disciplined.
Youngstown Councilman Robert Spencer, D-6th, will ask council to increase the size of the city Police Department by 30 patrolmen in response to growing crime rates that have residents “near the panic stage.”
After steadily decreasing since 1965, Ohio’s prison population is growing, with 800 inmates added to the 7,698 registered in October 1973, which was the lowest count in 30 years.
1964: International agents of the carpenters and glaziers unions are called in to resolve a jurisdictional dispute over which union should get the work involved in hanging aluminum and glass doors at the administration building at the Youngstown sewage treatment plant.
Ohio ranks sixth among all states with 845 traffic fatalities recorded during the first six months of 1964.
The E.W. Bliss Co. announces a $7 million expansion and improvement plan, with $2 million slated for its Salem plant on Franklin Street.
1939: A $150,000 damage suit is filed by Paul Downard of East Liverpool against three Steubenville men to recover damages from alleged gambling losses of people who have participated in Columbiana County’s numbers racket.
James J. Dalzell, 65, in the contracting and sheet metal business for nearly 50 years and the first president of the Youngstown Kiwanis Club, dies in a Cleveland hospital following an intestinal operation.
An unusually brilliant display of northern lights flickers in rainbow banners across the sky, treating thousands of Youngstowners to a rare and colorful spectacle.