63 death claims filed so far in wrecks tied to ignition switches
Sixty-three death claims have been filed so far with the lawyer handling payments for those involved in wrecks caused by faulty General Motors ignition switches.
A spokeswoman for compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg says he received 125 claims by Friday afternoon. Sixty-two others seek payments for injuries. Feinberg started taking claims Aug. 1.
Spokeswoman Camille Biros says Feinberg still has to determine if the claims are eligible for payments.
Feinberg, who handled compensation for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the BP Gulf oil spill, is accepting claims through Dec. 31.
GM has recalled 2.6 million small cars to replace the switches. The company has admitted knowing about the problem for more than a decade, yet it failed to recall the cars until this year. GM hired Feinberg to compensate the injured and the families of people killed.
Drivers, passengers and pedestrians killed or hurt by one of the defective GM small cars are eligible. The company has absorbed a $400 million charge to cover possible claims, but the bills could run higher because the fund has no cap.