facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Campbell-Struthers lighting project still plagued by delays



Published: Thu, August 7, 2014 @ 9:55 p.m.

CAMPBELL

Neither Campbell Mayor William J. VanSuch nor Struthers Mayor Terry Stocker had any idea they’d still be waiting today on a project approved for funding more than a year-and-a-half ago.

“I just hope it gets done,” Stocker said.

He’s referring to a brownfields lighting project that stretches along Bob Cene Way in Struthers, across the almost 4-year-old lower connector bridge that joins the cities, and along Casey Drive in Campbell. The project involves the installation of 15 streetlights there — nine in Campbell and six in Struthers.

The cities discovered they had been selected to receive the state transportation enhancement grant in January 2013, and had hoped to complete the project by the year’s end. Bids opened Oct. 4, with the lowest bidder being the Salem-based Cornerstone Electric Inc.

Of the approximate $157,000 cost, the state paid 80 percent, while the two cities split and absorbed the remaining 20 percent. The project was meant to be just another example of ongoing efforts to rehabilitate the brownfields area and attract new businesses. It also was intended to increase visibility, making the area safer for the public and for emergency vehicles.

Work didn’t begin until July 14, however.

Engineer Dave Benedetto, of GPD Group, said that since then, a great deal of work has been done. The pole foundations are in place, for example. So are the pull boxes, conduits and cables.

The only hold-up? The actual poles.

Read more about the delay in Friday's Vindicator or on Vindy.com.


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport