Tressel’s Akron status won’t affect YSU search

Published: Wed, April 23, 2014 @ 12:08 a.m.

Garg declines to say whether ex-coach is still in the running

photo

Tressel

photo

Garg

By Denise Dick

denise_dick@vindy.com

Youngstown

Jim Tressel is one of three finalists for the University of Akron presidency, but the chairman of the Youngstown State University Board of Trustees says that won’t have any bearing on YSU’s presidential search process.

“It should not and it has not,” Dr. Sudershan Garg said Tuesday after an executive session of the YSU Presidential Search Committee.

The committee, made up of the nine trustees and two student trustees, narrowed the 37 applicants for the job to a primary and a backup list.

The primary list includes six applicants; the backup list has three or four. The search consultant, AGB Search of Washington, D.C., will contact those on the primary list to ensure they are still interested in the position, Garg said. If any of them decline, a name from the backup list will move to the primary list.

The plan is to interview six candidates via Skype on Saturday. If a candidate’s schedule doesn’t permit an interview that day, one may be scheduled early next week, he said.

Garg said the names of the candidates to be interviewed won’t be released until it’s verified they are still interested in the position. He declined to say whether Tressel was on either list.

After the Skype interviews, the committee will choose three finalists to visit campus and meet with trustees, campus constituencies and community members. Trustees hope to make a selection by the third week in May.

Ikram Khawaja, interim president, plans to retire June 30. The longtime provost and vice president for academic affairs was appointed last month after Randy J. Dunn resigned after eight months as president to become president at Southern Illinois University.

Tressel, executive vice president for student success at the University of Akron and the former head football coach at both YSU and Ohio State, applied to be president at both YSU and UA and has a groundswell of support from Mahoning Valley community and business leaders for the YSU job.

On Tuesday, UA announced that Tressel was one of three finalists for its presidency. The other two are Ronald A. Nykiel, provost and vice president of academic affairs at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore in Princess Anne, Md., and Scott L. Scarborough, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at the University of Toledo.

All three will visit the UA campus next week, meeting with trustees, campus personnel and groups and student and community leaders. Tressel’s visit is set for May 1.

Comments

1YtownSports(228 comments)posted 5 months ago

I wouldn't be shocked if Tressel got the Akron job. If he doesn't, the fact that he made the Final 3 there shows he is extraordinarily viable as a candidate at Y.S.U. despite all the naysayers.

2westcomm11(23 comments)posted 5 months ago

Screw Jim Tressel ,this area is just a bunch of ass kissers .

3markc919(24 comments)posted 5 months ago

Everything I've heard says the YSU job is between Tressel and NIcholas Dubos of Pittsburgh.

4walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 5 months ago

I guess most people just don't understand why UA hired JT and created a position just for him. Akron is the world leader in research for polymer engineering and science. The expansion of the research into new areas, such as biomedical, put the institution at the forefront. Akron has, in fact, substantially increased the research funding coming from business and industry partnerships such that it is recognized as a leading institution.

UA obviously sees what JT has to offer the university to move it forward. It must keep increasing the university partnerships with industry to push the research forward. Tressel gives them immediate recognition as one of their leaders, someone that can lead and get things accomplished. So, now he is on the short list and, IMHO, he would be at the top of the list. Looking at YSU, it is poised to also increase the research funding but into the engineering and science dealing with 3-D printing and high-level computing. While this is just in its infancy, it impact on industry is going to be huge. Tressel would most definitely increase YSU's profile in the spotlight as a recognizable face. You may think his "senatorial" persona is bogus, but those who meet him genuinely like the man and want to work with him. I would hope the YSU BOT puts him on the short list quickly because I feel Akron will be offering him the top spot soon.

5kurtw(849 comments)posted 5 months ago

@ walt "'Akron is the world leader in research for polymer engineering and science."

So, if that's true (I'm sure it is)- Why do they need an ex-football coach with a shady past? I don't get it. If Akron is that important- and I know they are- why Tressel? Seems like a mismatch to me.

6kurtw(849 comments)posted 5 months ago

Also, why couldn't we "time share" Tressel with Akron like a Condo. If he's that precious- that great and wonderful- then there should be enough to go around for both places. Too bad people can't be divided like sausage links- then Akron would get part of the wonderful Tress and we'd get the other half- question is which half would we end up with- the Head Part or the Ass Part- probably wouldn't matter very much, come to think of it.

P.S. It's a "Dog and Pony Show"- too bad it has to be so exorbitantly expensive.

7walter_sobchak(1910 comments)posted 5 months ago

kurt
As I stated, for those who have met Jim Tressel and worked with him, they genuinely have a high opinion of the man. They recognize he has his faults but they seem to want to work past them. This is a man's world (whether others like it, acknowledge it, or approve of it) and many men like to be around winners, especially those that have won football championships.

8kurtw(849 comments)posted 5 months ago

Walt,
Excuse me for saying this, but your comment made no sense to me whatsoever. I just don't get it. Because Tress is a "mans man" in a "mans world" "a winner" who "won football championships" and has faults that we "should forgive", he should be named YSU President and paid a half-billion a year?

Are you kidding me? Half the population of Y-town would fit that description- I might measure up on a couple of points myself- I'm a man- a "mans man" you might say, to stretch a point, and I certainly have faults for which I expect to be forgiven- but nobody is going to pay me that kind of money!

I don't know. Maybe if Bobbie Hagan would give me some of his Weed, I might qualify. I just don't know.