YSU trustee search on fast track

Published: Mon, April 21, 2014 @ 12:50 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

Youngstown State University’s hunt for its ninth president is on a fast track.

The Presidential Search Committee expects to narrow the list of 38 applicants for university president at a meeting Tuesday. The committee, comprised of university trustees, will meet this afternoon to review the applications.

“We will see how we do,” said Dr. Sudershan Garg, trustees chairman. “I’d like to get to at least six to eight. We did it last time the same way. The total field is about 38. Out of 38, the search firm put 10 or 11 people in the A category.”

The firm, AGB Search of Washington, D.C., divided applicants into three lists. The first list is those that meet the qualifications of university president. The second is those that don’t meet all of the criteria but who some trustees may still want to consider and the third list is those who don’t meet the criteria, Dr. Garg said.

Those picked will be slated for interviews via Skype on Saturday.

“We’d like to expedite the process as soon as possible,” he said.

The Skype interviews, conducted by in private by board members on campus, will begin Saturday morning.

“Hopefully we’ll get the number down to three finalists,” the chairman said.

Comments

1Seriouslee(99 comments)posted 4 months, 3 weeks ago

That's it--let's do the most important search we've ever done as quickly and cheaply as possible!

2billdog1(1194 comments)posted 4 months, 3 weeks ago

The big question will be, "Will you do as told, regardless of how inappropriate it is?"

3gdog4766(1489 comments)posted 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Garg, hire me and I promise I will rain holy heck down on students, faculty and staff. I mean that's what you people are looking for a booble head flunkie right? Listen, I have come up with more ways to fill the coffers. Ok, first when KaKasich cuts funding again I won't fight it or complain. To balance things I will raise tuition,increase fees, put an additional tax on books bought at the bookstore, make all students buy a meal card, a pool pass, season tickets to all sports,wear school uniforms that only YSU will sell. These are just a few ways Garg to really screw the students and faculty over even more. Just let me know I'm your guy.

4papa1(660 comments)posted 4 months, 3 weeks ago

this tells me they're pretty sure who it's going to be. trustees, just remember, let's move to the future, not the past.

5kurtw(848 comments)posted 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, they're getting better and better at it. Each time they have this "Dog and Pony Show" they say it's being run more efficiently than the time before- never mind the out come- last time they gave us a Weasel and a Carpetbagger- Randy Dunn- so who are we going to end up with this time? I say just bring in Alfred E. Neumann and be done with it- at least he doesn't resemble a Weasel.