Challenger says Trumbull commissioner Fuda lacks aggressiveness

Published: Thu, April 17, 2014 @ 12:06 a.m.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

WARREN

Frank Fuda says Trumbull County has built miles of sewer and water lines, gotten loads of snow plowing and grass cutting from jail inmates — and kept its finances in order over the seven years he’s been county commissioner.

He cites $50 million in new sewer and water lines, $27 million of which came from grants.

“We have eliminated 17 percent of the septic systems by replacing them with new sewer systems, making it easier for citizens to sell their homes and for industries to locate in our county,” he said.

A program Fuda helped start put jail inmates to work shoveling driveways and cutting grass. It has saved more than $2 million since it began in 2007, he said. The sheriff’s office has secured $2 million worth of surplus military items, such as vehicles and kitchen supplies, he said.

More sewers are needed, and additional problems exist with public transportation and drug abuse, he said.

His opponent for commissioner in the May 6 Democratic primary, Lisha Pompili-Baumiller, a longtime Hubbard council member, agrees that transportation is a problem, saying she will work diligently to “bring senior transportation back, services that were cut.”

She said in a recent interview, “Our seniors make a large percentage of our population. They deserve to have their independence.”

She said she didn’t know specifically how much transportation money had been taken away or how she would re-prioritize the spending.

Her main issue, Pompili-Baumiller said, is that Trumbull County government has become stagnant instead of aggressive, and it doesn’t represent all areas of the county or all parts of the population.

“I am very passionate at what I do. We deserve someone who is aggressive,” she said, adding that Trumbull County hasn’t modernized as much as it could.

“I just feel you have to be open to diversity, to give all areas and all people equal opportunity,” she said, adding that she is referring to minority opportunity as an example.

“Not all villages and cities are acknowledged as they could be,” she said when asked what communities are being left out. She added that she’s not just talking about Hubbard, though she said she’s never seen Fuda at a Hubbard council meeting during her 12 years on council. “I feel I’m a candidate for the people. I feel [the county] has been run matter-of-fact.”

She cited Fuda’s remarks at various gatherings where he spoke about cooperation among various county officials and the three commissioners.

“That’s great, but that’s why there are three [commissioners]. There should be some conversation,” she said.

Pompili-Baumiller said Fuda has talked recently about the seven years it took to secure the grants to carry out the $10.6 million Kinsman sewer project.

“Yes, we’ve had some projects completed, but not in a timely fashion,” she said.

She has worked 31 years in the banking business and thinks she could have helped people in the past who had trouble getting low-interest loans to install septic systems.

Fuda said Trumbull County government has experienced millions in cuts from state funding each of the last two years.

“We have been fortunate that all of our elected officials work together adjusting to the losses and still provide services to our citizens,” he said. “We look for every way possible to function at the same level of services for our citizens.”

As to Pompili Baumiller’s contention that the commissioners don’t “acknowledge” all cities and villages as much as they should, Fuda said he has helped “every township in this county.”

He added, “I’m there every morning. I take every phone call. I’m on vacation in Florida, I take the call.”

Comments

1MD1533(25 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Fuda has been in there long enough! It's time to change all three commissioners! Period! What about "Term Limits"!

2shelley11111(8 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Fuda has refused to help the residents of Liberty Township obtain a reliable source of water. It is time for someone new.

3angeleyez5285(1 comment)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

I don't know if I would want Lisha to be elected. She campaigns at events for sick children and at people's funerals. To me it's just sick! I will not vote for her.

4Corvina1981(4 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

So says the woman who campaigns at a fundraiser for a baby with cancer and at a funeral. This woman is despicable, classless and has no regard for anyone but herself. She gives attitude when asked to leave such events where campaigning is completely inappropriate and continues to linger. I work with several charities and I see Mr. Fuda at nearly every event. If someone did not know him, he is just another face in the crowd at these events because he does not talk about the office he holds nor does he campaign at such events. He is there to support the cause and to help these families in need, not for his own personal gain.

5corsomom(1 comment)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

This lady is classless and very disrespectful! She has campaigned at a babies cancer fundraiser with her matches and finger nail files and then campaigned at a funeral! Really? In my eyes she is lowest of low as a canidate for anything! She needs to learn respect and manners! Is this person really the one you want in office, I hope not!

6cybrlee(2 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

You couldn't have a better hands on candidate than Fuda. He gives up his Christmas to help people who have no where to go and serves dinner. While #NOLISHA takes advantage of fundraisers and litters her flyers leaving the families to clean up her mess without making a donation. How in touch with the citizens can you be? Lisha is only in this for herself. She is running a dirty smear campaign going after any candidate she can to better herself. Even demanding that Randy Smith remove himself from office before he is investigated. She is just a menopausal mess.

7kleener(49 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

I see all of Fuda's cronies are out. Were all of you at this children's event and/or funeral? LOL

8alowe2(1 comment)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Actually yes I was at the benefit for the little girl. A close family friend of mine was actually the one who put the benefit together. Being as I do have class before I made any statement about the pond scum I made sure she didn't donate or anything. I was beyond heated and if it was anywhere else she would have got a peice of my mind but a baby's benefit is not the place to get in an argument. I didn't see any other politicians campaigning but her. She has no class and needs to put her tail between her legs and run away. Get some class lady!

9Corvina1981(4 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

As a matter of fact, I was working the kitchen at the fundraiser. I see that #nolisha is more aggressive than Fuda. More aggressive when it comes to strong arming her way into events she is not wanted at in order to use a gathering of people to inappropriately campaign. I did not take issue with this woman until I witnessed this disgusting display of self - promotion. What #nolisha has in misplaced aggression, Fuda has in tact. Prevails she could learn a lesson or two. She also may want to pick up this grade English book. Her spelling, punctuation and grammar are atrocious for someone who wants to hold public office.

10Ytown4Life(7 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Maybe Lisha Baumiller can scan the obituaries for her next event & stick a bumper sticker on the casket. Perhaps a campaign sign on the freshly dug grave.

11cybrlee(2 comments)posted 6 months, 1 week ago

Word is her campaign sign appeared on a headstone! How tacky is that for campaigning? Residents are upset and the cemetery removed it... Thank God!

12crookedcouncil(2 comments)posted 6 months ago

I see that 2 tons of fun, Lisha Pompili-Baumiller, is back at it again. If she's not spewing homophobic slurs or fighting her way to the front of the bake sale line like she's the 3rd monkey trying to get aboard Noah's Ark, she's flapping her potato chips chute about how every other elected official does his or her job. Do us all a favor, Mrs. Grape, and the next time you're vacationing in Florida, douse yourself in a bucket of chum, then start walking (or waddling) until the water is up to the first roll on the back of your neck.