Boy attacked on Warren bike trail, left to walk naked down street

Published: Wed, April 16, 2014 @ 12:08 a.m.

photo

Heather Long of Warren stands on High Street Northeast near the Warren Greenway bike trail Tuesday. Her 14-year-old son was assaulted and robbed of his possessions and his clothes on the bike trail Monday. Police are investigating.

By Ed Runyan

runyan@vindy.com

WARREN

Kalli Ioannou was shocked and greatly upset when she saw a 14-year-old boy walking up a residential part of High Street Northeast on Monday afternoon bruised and naked, covering his privates with his hands.

She found out that he had just been assaulted and robbed of his possessions and clothes on the nearby Warren Greenway bike trail near Charles Avenue Northeast by three older males, two of whom he knows.

Ioannou was close to the house of her mother, Franzi Ioannou, so she rushed there and got a blanket to cover the boy.

“He was a little boy. He was stark naked. We were just shocked,” Franzi Ioannou said Tuesday. “He was in shock, I think.”

Police are investigating the 4:40 p.m. attack but have made no arrests, Lt. Jeff Cole said. Police will interview the boy today.

Heather Long, the boy’s mother, said her boyfriend took the boy to ValleyCare Trumbull Memorial Hospital, and he has a concussion. He also has scrapes and bruises on his head and face.

Long said she believes her son’s physical wounds may be less serious than the mental ones.

“He’s quiet,” she said. “I think it’s done more emotionally that he doesn’t want to admit.”

She said her son was walking to a friend’s house.

A police report says the boy was walking with the three older males and “for unknown reason, he was punched in the face and then kicked, and when on the ground he was robbed of all his clothes and his cellphone. The suspects also took his tennis shoes.”

Long said her son doesn’t remember everything but remembers Ioannous giving him a blanket and helping him.

“He’s confused about the whole situation,” Long said, adding that a police officer told her the boy seemed dazed and was “saying things that didn’t make sense.”

Long went from her home on the West Side to High Street on Tuesday to see where the incident happened, and was able to speak to Franzi Ioannou and thank her on behalf of her son.

“I just want to say thank you. He’s really grateful,” she told the woman.

Long said it appears that after the attack, her son was walking toward her boyfriend’s house, which is only a couple of blocks away.

Long said she wants to see the three males arrested and charged in the attack.

“They just did it to be punks, straight up punks,” Long said, adding that her son is barely 100 pounds, and the three attackers are 17 to 19 years old and much larger than her son.

None of his clothes would have fit them, she added.

Franzi Ioannou said she’s concerned about the couple of attacks that have been reported on the bike trail in the area north of East Market Street and just west of the hospital.

“That bike trail is not a very good thing,” Franzi Ioannou said, adding that it seems to have increased the number of people walking through the neighborhood, both youths and adults.

Franzi Ioannou told Long she should be proud of her son.

“He was the nicest boy,” she said.

“We all felt so bad. My daughter was crying.”

Comments

1daar2055(54 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Please don't let this violation go unpunished. Many years ago a young man was raped and murdered for no reason. His killer is still alive on death row. His mother was robbed of her son. Bullying is a serious crime and must be punishable. My prayers go out to this young man.

2mrgibson(116 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm sure the police will make an arrest or two in this crime.
Then it will be on the prosecuters office to do their job.
I hope they won't lay down on this case by accepting a plea bargain or setteling for anything less than full prosecution.

These scumbag punks need serious jail time.
They need locked up with those bigger,stronger and more vicious then they ever thought about being.

And they need to be given the same mercy and compassion they gave this poor 14 year old boy.
Unfortunatley the bike trail has become a hangout for punks,scumbags and trash.

Folks I'll say it again.....
Get your legal ccw license,be prepared to defend yourself and your family.
I hope I never have to defend myself but if it comes to that believe me I won't hesitate for a split second.

My heart goes out to that poor kid and his family.
I hope the city ,the prosecuter and the judge are outraged by this terrible crime and are willing to go the distance to get justice for the victim !!

3DACOUNTRYBOY(259 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

We are in an era where the obscene has become the new normal. Todays morality is not your grandfathers style of morality. Welcome to the new America!

For the few who still cherish the morality of the past, HAPPY EASTER.

4sscavel(14 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

These kids are scum thugs. Their parent or parents should also be ashamed of themselves. I hope they post these attackers names everywhere so they will be outcasts and deal with shame.
I hope people contact and support this 14 yr old boy and help him heal from this. He needs to know he's a good kid and the attackers are the scumbag idiots.

This world is going to hell in a hand basket! What are parents teaching their kids? My parents would have beaten me to death for doing acts not even as bad as this!

576Ytown(1264 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

What this poor child had to endure was horrific. My heart goes out to the victim and his family. Praying for justice to be served.

I realize that it is in the public's best interest to know that there are incidents that we should be aware. But in the future, I deplore Vindy to be sensitive in their reporting. This was a very young victim whose name may not have been printed, but with all the other details including his mother's name, it is yet another trauma to have to deal with.

6commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

As soon as they find these punks their parent will be right beside them saying "my little Johnny wouldn't do that"!!!

7HeMyPO(92 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Hey Vindy, do a little investigation work. Find out the names of these Punks!!! They deserve nothing less than "Street Justice". The courts have proven to be a joke. Judges are being told NOT to send people to prison or jail.. "Find an alternative sentence". Like I said, "Street Justice"! Get the Punks names out..

8Roger_Thornhill(607 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

This is EXACTLY why people don't want their land STOLEN from them by FORCE by the government to put a bike trail through their property.