Boardman voters will face 3 renewal levies

Published: Thu, April 10, 2014 @ 12:03 a.m.

By Kalea Hall

khall@vindy.com

boardman

Without the revenue from two renewal levies, the Boardman school district would be forced to make a massive cut in teacher positions, officials say.

Boardman Park’s levy also is crucial to its operating budget, park officials maintain.

For the schools, there will be a five-year, 2.4-mill renewal levy that generates $1,999,547 annually and a three-year, 1.8-mill renewal levy that generates $1,468,774 annually on the May election ballot.

Boardman Park will have a 0.03-mill renewal levy that generates $218,000 annually.

Frank Lazzeri, superintendent of Boardman schools, is confident the two school levies will pass.

“If [our] schools weren’t so good, I think it would be a much harder decision,” Lazzeri said. “[I think] they will vote affirmatively on these issues.”

The funds generated from the levies go straight to the general fund that is the source for salaries, operational costs and new purchases.

“We are a personnel-driven entity because we educate kids,” Lazzeri said. “Therefore, 80 percent of our budget goes to our personnel.”

The 2.4-mill levy first passed as a 6.7-mill levy in 1979 and has generated the same funds since then.

The 1.8-mill levy first passed as a 3.9-mill levy in 1984.

“These are not new taxes, these are renewals,” Lazzeri said.

Boardman Park relies more on levies because of a cut in state funding.

A 1-mill levy was instituted in 1948 and, 66 years later, the park still has three levies that equal 1 mill.

The levies generate approximately $753,925 annually.

“[It] keeps the green oasis green,” Executive Director Dan Slagle said.

Slagle believes people appreciate the park — considering the park increased its attendance by 13 percent last year. “Based on that, we assume that they take advantage [of the park],” he said.

Comments

1CantStandYa(145 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Shouldn't matter gunr. I'll throw every extra dollar I have at the schools in hopes that the kids who go there succeed, and the facilities are nice enough that kids will want to be there instead of shooting smack and robbing houses.

2republicanRick(1218 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

The problem with Boardman schools and local government trustees is a lack of long range planning.

Very, very little has changed (outside of commercial development) in the past 30 years. Rt 224 is still congested, billboards pollute the roadways, and lack of zoning regs and enforcement have added blight to a once proud community.

I'll vote for the renewals so things don't get worse. But I see little on the horizon that should make Boardman a better place to call home.

3repeaters(214 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

" You only get what you pay for." Sure? Tell your boss tomorrow morning that he/she is only going to get quality work if your paid more. Funding cuts.......private sector calls it a slow down, layoff, or a job loss.

4CantStandYa(145 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

The end of your first comment, "sounds like another shell game in Boardman.' , leads me to believe that you don't live in Boardman.

If you don't live in Boardman, then maybe you should mind your business and let us decide what we want to do with our money.

I don't go sounding off about Austintown schools, you know why? Because it ain't my damn business.

troll.

5CantStandYa(145 comments)posted 7 months, 2 weeks ago

I must have really gotten under your skin for you to have to research my previous posts.

Yes d-bag, in January of 2012 I lived within the Youngstown city limits. And I have since relocated to Boardman.

Brilliant deduction. Any other nuggets full of knowledge you care to drop on me?
lol.

Keep trollin, maybe you'll come up with something